1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T price for building a garage?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Sep 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

lumper TS Member

Call an actual garage building firm and ask them how much to build a garage just to jive against your numbers. Also why a 20x20? That seems small and if your actually going to park a car in it you must own small tiny cars.

You might want to consider a 24x24 garage as the minimum size to build or even a 24x28 or a 28x32 if you have the room. The actual cost difference will not be all that much more except for the concrete and the extra sq footage for the price would/could be a steal of a deal.

2. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

I'm not sure exactly what the final total would be but $15,00 is way too much. You could build a 24X40 for that much or less.
    Chris

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dust4fun, I think that $20,000 sounds like a pretty close estimate for a large 2 car garage w/ overhead doors on motors, electric inside. Be sure to get a local permit. This will most likely make you get a set of plans made my a professional. You may have to get a surveyors out to property and add fill to get finished floor to a good height for flooding. Down here we have to worry about flooding and hurricanes. Lots of strapping in the framing. Different areas have different problems to overcome. Do it right and get the permit, it will add lots of value to your home. If you don't it can actually cost you money if and when you sell, because it may not be built code and was never inspected by your township. Good Luck. Break-em all. Jeff

4. kgp

kgp TS Member

I'm in the middle of one right now. In my area (Maine) I found carpenters who are doing a great job for about $25 per hour. Total labor for 38x40 with attic will be around $9,500. Biggest surprises in price were for site work, concrete, and asphalt.

Ken

5. Dodgeram

Dodgeram TS Member

The bigger the better. I have a 27 X 35 garage and wish it was a little bigger yet. Only problem with a larger garage is you tend to accumilate more stuff. Getting a couple prices is a good idea and I would ask friends in your area that had simlar work done who they would reconmend.

Doug

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

If you are going to go as large as 24x40 you should consider a pole barn type building. Cheaper to build because it goes up fast, less labor cost. Materials also a bit less even though steel has gone up some.
    In our area Morton has some great looking metal buildings that are much nicer than the old plain pole barn of the 70's. Overhanging gable ends, gutters, walk-in doors, etc. New colors and trim options as well. You may save some money by going this route for a larger building.

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

ric323, is right. Collegeville gun club in PA. had a 24X40 with concrete floor built last year for around $10,000 Was up in a few days.

8. guncase

guncase TS Member

I had a contractor build one for me,, 28X40, not big enough!! It cost me $14000 , with a inside wall to partition off 12 foot for a shop, insulated the 12' part so I can heat it to work in the winter( Wisconsin). No blacktop drive but concrete inside floor. Three overhead doors, 9'height and 8' wide so a Ford 350 van will go in,, by about 4"!! build it bigger than you think you need cause it shrinks! ! ! Paul

9. mod12man

mod12man TS Member

dont know about your area, but here in so cal the width has to be at least 22' for a free stand wood frame garage to accomodate the minimum sheer panel requirement of 3' on each side of a 16 ft door. now you could go to a smaller door or simpson strong walls for the sheer, but both of those options would be more expensive since the smaller door is more money due to not being as common and the simpson strong walls can run up to 400 each rather than 15 each for plywood sheer panel.

10. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

I built a 24x 30(barn style) as they called it. I and my friend did it for just under 10grand . It took us 1 month from start to finish everyday after work an on weekends .We did it again for him. Never again!! Hire someone !! out of work Carpies ,concete guys, roofers they are out there .I still have the plans around somewhere. have fun get everything lined up first an then Go for it

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had my 21/2 car built and had an additional four feet added to the length than normal and I have to tell you it's great. I don't think within reason there is such a thing as too large a garage. Think about the future as well. Sales appeal etc. Alsoput in twice the electrical capacity you think you'll need as well as outlets and ceiling lights. When I turn allmine on it looks like the Walmart parking lot but it's great to have the light when I have a project out there.

12. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as a garage that is too big!

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

being a contractor i would guess about 20,000 to do it right if the owner HELPS 40,000 6in slab- 4in limestone base -5 blocks high-8' 2X6 stud walls - osb and siding - trusses and osb -roofing - plumbing for the wife- water to wash truck-electric- to see at night- depends on how much site work and if you have a building code that will require a dug foundation if that is the case add 5000 for spec foundation rick

14. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Got a friend that has a 40 x 80 or 40 x 60, not sure right now, steel building complete, new and on property that he can't get built. City regulations are prohibitive. In the sense that they require handicap parking, landscaping, parking big enough to hold occupancy of the building, and that the construction be done by contractors approved and registered with the city. No contractor will do the job without supplying the building also. The building came with construction included but the building company is not registered with the city.

If interested it is for sale cheap as he purchased it before the China steel crunch. I has six or eight overhead doors. He was going to put his cars that he has collected over a 30 year period in it and restore them when he retired. But the city says it is a commercial building and must be built to city code for a commercial building.

Rock

Jim

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I built a nice 28x36 four years ago and had three bids low was $18,000 and high was $27,000 for the very same sepc . It,s all finish,t in side with half of it heated and cooled for my loading room . So far I,m very happy with it .

16. hpesoj54

hpesoj54 TS Member

I would get 3 prices. For the size building you want they should be solid prices. Be specific what you want. The expensive items can be the electric service.(can you connect to your home or another building) A way you can check on the contractor is go to a local building supply and price out the materials. That way you get some idea of what they are charging. Be sure and check references. I used to be a general contractor and now am a foreman for a commerical contractor. Gives me more time to shoot trap.

Joseph

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.