1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T pressure washers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by stickbird, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

I am wanting to buy a pressure washer to keep the spider webs washed off my house? I have looked at lowes on ebay and craigs list and now I see that walmart has them.
    I see them in all prices ranges and sizes,I am wondering if one of the smaller type hand held size is ok or is a larger type better?
    I only plan on washing the spider webs off the eaves of the house a couple times a year so I didn't want to spend allot,but I also didn't want one not strong enough?
    any advice?
    Jim

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I bought one of the smaller yellow karchers, for $70 from Menards I think, it works great...when you let off the handle the pump shuts off....some of the smaller ones dead head and you have to shut them off or it will rune the washer.

tony

3. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Get one with a thermal bypass. This is what keeps the pump from destroying itself if you let it run for a while without putting any water through the sprayer.

I got one of the small 3.5hp ones from walmart. Simple to use, no little nozzle pieces to lose. The tip of the sprayer twists to go from wide spray to needle stream. Careful with the needle stream. You can literally cut stuff in half with it. If your eaves are on the second story, you'll have to find a balance between the two that works. The needle stream is quite strong, but the fan spray is only useful about 4 or 5 feet from the nozzle.

I think mine was around $200 and it works fine. You'll find all kinds of crap to do with it. Wash cars (careful), concrete, decks, siding, keep the neighbors dog off your lawn, etc.

4. msmith

msmith Member

Buy a Karcher. They are a great unit. Mike

5. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Don't just go by PSI GPM is critical to. Less GPM the smaller stream you have to spray to have any force. 1500# and 1.2gpm over 3' a normal garden hose with a nozzel has more power. Plus 2gpm is good for light duty. I have a 4gpm @3500# on straight stream it will clear cobwebs over 15' away, but cost $1k. How much time and money due you want to spend, less time more $

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Go to SAM'S and get the cheapest one with a Honda motor, and the snap in tips. The pull/twist spray end adjuster ends are nice, and convenient; but for me, have always failed. Not that you'd use it much, but be sure the soap sucker tube is on the down stream side of the pump so that detergent/cleaner is not getting sucked through the pump. Dunno where you live, but make sure to store it where there's no possibility of freezing ....please don't ask how I know....(grin)

7. M-16

M-16 TS Member

if you do live were it freezes take a short hose and put it in antifreeze and start it up and shut it off alls you need is a half a pint. Mine sits in a unheated garge and use it through the winter with no trouble. I just use my used antifreeze

8. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I bought a Karcher (sp.?) from Lowes. I don't need to do real big jobs, but it will take snails and growth off the bottom of a boat, do a large deck and vinel siding with power to spare. Mines electric, had it 5 years, no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.