1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: Pressure Washers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Sep 8, 2013.

1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I am looking into getting a pressure washer. Will be used for cleaning the vinyl siding on house, sidewalks, porch, etc. - home use only. I have been told to only buy one with a Honda engine - is this the gospel? Please list any info or models that would be good for my use.

2. kenf

kenf Active Member

Hondas are good engines, but a briggs is good if you change oil in it yearly or every other depending on where you store it.

3. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a 10 year old Briggs 6HP washer I bought at Home Depot. I change oil every summer (synthetic) and only use gas without ethanol. Runs great, starts on first or second pull. I drain gas and let it run until it stalls in the fall and put in fresh gas in spring. I clean 3 houses and a couple decks & driveways every year.

Hondas are great, but if you take care of a Briggs it'll serve you well. Generally about a third less too!

Bob Schultz

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Top line...buy a Honda. I bought a Murray from Lowes using my Vets discount and after buying a 9 foot wand extension have had no problem washing the house. Starts right up and provides 3000 psi. Now to tackle the cedar shingles in front.

blade819

5. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I bought one for under $400 from Costco. It has 2700 PSI which is the minimum you should get IMO. The motor is Subaru. Used maybe 6 times a year over ten years. I've changed the oil twice. Sits on my screened in porch over the winter and still works good. Paid for itself ten times over. I used it last week.

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I have a Briggs 10hp IC engine that is 12 years old. I do commercial cleaning from time to time. Runs like a champ, have put 3 pumps on it. Frequent oil changes and Plus or better fuel. For me the important feature for a pressure washer is the pump GPM.(gallons per minute) Don't be fooled by Psi numbers. Jake

7. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Be sure to always drain the pump to prevent freeze-up and cracking. I have good Honda and Briggs machines but will buy a hot machine this winter. The swirling tip is great but will blow the stickers off your tractor!

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

My neighbor just got a electric pressure washer for about $90. Cleans his car, driveway, patio and all the usual around the home stuff. Very quiet and effective.

Eric

9. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

A friend of mine who is a contractor, bought a Generac at Lowes on sale for $325.00. It puts out 3000psi at 2.7 gallons per minute. He builds and stains a lot of decks.
    I got a Generac about ten years ago and it has a 8hp Honda. Paid around $800 back then. Mine is 4000psi and puts out 4 gpm. Like Jake said above, it's the gpm that does the job.
    So one day his pump stopped working and he borrows mine. He told me mine did a job in about a third of the time his would have and also cleaned much better. His pressure washer lasted just over a year, mine still going strong after 10.
    Food for thought.
    Mike C.

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Another thing to look at besides the engine is the pump, Cat makes the best pumps

11. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

That's what mine is, A Karcher with the Subaru motor. I've renter more powerful machines, and it does any job just fine. It is not under powered. I've used an electric one too that belongs to one of my clients. It's inadequate, I bring mine instead.

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

My $.02 worth, have one with the Honda engine --2700 # unit--- back in the shop AGAIN ---"if" you can get it started (usually requires ether) it does a good job. Don't remember the mfg. of the pump but it's a good one. Ross Puls

13. mich746

mich746 Member

The motor is not the week link, it's the pump.

NEVER, NEVER let the machine idle for more than a minute. The water in the pump will boil and ruin the pump seals. If you have to go pee, turn the washer off.

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've had a pressure washer with a Briggs on it for over 10 years. When I use it I just put enough gas in it to get through the job. That way it always has fresh gas in it. It starts on the first or 2nd pull every time. I've got a couple of Hondas on other equipment, they are great motors. If I was planning on using a piece of equipment every day I would go with the Honda motor, but if you are using the pressure washer only a couple of times a month the Briggs will do the job, and should last forever.

The motor will outlast the pump. When storing pressure washer for the winter be sure to put RV antifreeze in it.

Be carefull, they are fun to play with, and will tear stuff up right away too. LOL Sometimes I wish I never had one.LOL They can and will tear the face of a brick off, using high pressure.

15. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Thanks for the input everyone!

16. quartering

quartering Active Member

fwiw, some of those honda engines are made in china - like those models sold in the big box stores. good luck with it

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

lost my manual. what oil weight does the honda take?

18. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I have a Honda powered washer I bought from Lowes 4 years ago. 2500psi. Never had a problem and use it about 4-5 times a year. Oil is 30 weight, changed more often than most - about every ten hours.. Best gas is a mid grade for small engines.

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I bought a home depot 3000 PSI washer with a Honda 5hp engine a few years ago with muli-tips. That thing will eat a home in concrete. No issues at all. Suggestion, when your done washing, run it out of gas and you won't have any problems starting it next time or the next year.