1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Present day singers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Holypatterns, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holypatterns

Holypatterns TS Member

There were some threads on singers here a few days ago and they reminded me of
    how times have changed. Among them the singing of The National Anthem at sports
    events. I think it was Aretha Franklin who first disgraced herself by singing
    the anthem putting in at least twice as many notes as the writer intended. Her performance was intended to showcase herself, not the anthem. This was at the
    democratic convention in Chicago in 1960,I think. Now it is commonplace and
    getting uglier than ever. No one yet has improved on the original. High school
    and college marching bands could play at least ONE patriotic piece during a season, don't you think? and maybe a march now and then; especially if it was
    written by John Phillip Sousa. Let's hear it for The New York Yankees, love 'em
    or hate 'em, they have featured a REAL singer at the seventh inning stretch ever since 9/11

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My favorite dealing with the National Anthem was the solo trumpet played straight up like it's written as done at the Dallas Cowboy's games for many years; the last century....Bob Dodd

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

So-called "Singers" these days sound like they're all calling pigs!

4. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

May 8, 1942 - At Ebbets Field‚ in the first twilight game in 24 years‚ the Dodgers top the Giants 7-6 with Dolph Camilli's 7th inning home run onto Bedford Avenue the big blow. With more than 24‚000 fans on hand‚ nearly $60‚000 is raised for the Navy Relief Fund‚ as all the proceeds are donated. Everyone‚ including the ball players and umps‚ pay their way into the park. The Dodgers also debut a celebrated rookie-Gladys Gooding‚ who plays the "Victory Calliope"‚ the second organ played in ML stadiums. Gooding was discovered by Larry MacPhail at a hockey game at Madison Square Garden. Besides the Rangers‚ Gladys later is the organist for the Knickerbockers‚ and will write the Dodgers' theme song "Follow the Dodgers." Gooding will play for the Dodgers until 1958 when the team moves west.

Now, that was good music!

5. darkri

darkri TS Member

Carrie Underwood did a good job at the world series.

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<embed src="http://xml.searchvideo.com/eb/i/38100277/a/58ef677afb89fc040e3dec6de7dd6c26/p/1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" ></embed>

This kid has class... is 10 now but was 7 when this was shot.

Jerbear

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

So called modern music is a bunch of crap sung(?) by blacks and a bunch of black wannabes who all sing(?) in Ebonics. I prefer older country and blugrass myself. No racial slur intended. That's just the way I see it!

8. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Very very nice posts guys!

9. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

There is a guy in Chicago who sang the Anthem at Blachawk games, never heard anyone do it better, NEVER...................Roger

10. mizzou

mizzou TS Member

Rogeril: Could be the fellow who sings the anthem for the Cubs' games, Wayne Messmer..plain, eloquent, and perfect every time..Will really make the hair stand up..Mizzou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.