1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Pre cancer Blue light treatment?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Have any of you gone through this. I did yesterday afternoon and boy am I miserable. I'll bet I'll wear sun protection from now on. How long did the burn sensations go on. I'm kinda dreading going through the second treatment. I never knew that sixteen minutes and 42 seconds was soooooo long. Was there anything in particular that ease the pain? Jackie B.

2. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

Yep, and I also did the Efudex peeling of skin before that. 30 years of skeet shooting and golf with no sunscreen was stupid. Now I know. Sunscreen and big brim Tilley hat. Straw hats don't work; let too much sun through. Also any good sun protection hat should have a green under-surface to block light bounce. A couple of hours at Redlands when temp is around 100°F and sun reflecting off that sand can really hurt your skin. I also always wear a long sleeved shirt, even have some with sun screening fabric that has SPF rating 40+

Big hat and sunscreen doesn't make me look like a cool trapshooter dude with a baseball cap and short sleeve shirts, but that's the way it has to be. My maternal uncle died from melanoma. Not pretty.

People will tell you "Oh not to worry, all that stuff coming out was caused years ago by sun damage." True, but the sun also aggravates pre-cancer cells on your skin and can cause accelerated development of tumors. I am not going to risk it.

Edited: Forgot-my best trapshooting buddy just had a large squamish cell carcinoma cut out above his left eyebrow. Always used sunscreen as an outdoor worker, wore a hat, and as a dedicated surfer, no hat. It was a nasty tumor in a bad place. Old damage? Perhaps. Aggravated by recent sun exposure? Could be. Sun is not our skin's best friend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.