1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Portable Generator

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Paladin, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I've purchased a Coleman Powermate 6750/8500watt portable generator for emergency home use and also for loading into the pick up for use out and about.

I'm no licensed electrician, but I would like to know about the work needed to be performed in the home to make it a flip the switch and plug in procedure. The manual gave no input. Thanks.

2. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

There are better and safer ways of backing power into your house with a generator. But one simple way is to make yourself an extension cord with male ends at both ends. Plug one end into your generator and the other into a plug in your house. Be sure to pull the main breaker in your circuit breaker box before doing so so you're not supplying power out where a lineman could be electrocuted.

The best way would be to hire an electrician to build you a box and provide a cord just for the purpose. cls

3. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Since I have gas heat I took the blower power wire off and then ran it to an outlet box I installed in the bottom of the heater closet. I then made a cord from the blower and put a female end on it and plugged it into the outlet I just made. Blower will now run again.

All is now connected just like it was but instead of the power wire just going straight to the blower it now goes to the outlet box and then from the outlet box to the blower VIA short cord.

If the power goes off I just unplug the blower from the outlet and plug it into as extension cord that goes to the generator. I just use Long extension cords for lamps and the TV.

I have a bigger generator that I use for the refrigerator and use a heavy duty extension cord. I can switch from refrigerator to one window unit if in the summer. It is not big enough to run both.

I have two smaller units as it takes less gas to run and they are pretty quite and easy to move. Ray

4. nyttym

nyttym TS Member

After a long cold power outage, I picked up a new Coleman gen., too, next size down from yours. You can not feed elec directly into grid, as you could fry a utility worker, then you are liable. I bought a switch unit called EmerGenSwitch, with 8 circuits. They do come with less if wanted. Ran the cable(20Ft) out of the house, to the generator. I keep the gen. in my shed, & bought 100 ft. of #10 cable, to reach shed, so no exhaust in house. Above switch comes with a video giving easy step by step installation instructions. I left out one circuit to leave on grid, that way I'll know when power comes on. Mine works flawless. Will bury the 100 ft cable next spring.
    Merry Christmas, Bob

5. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Thanks folks. I really appreciate it.

6. RSHOOTER870

RSHOOTER870 TS Member

have an elictrian do it its DANGEROUS the bone

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

C.L.S. back years ago me and a partner had a house trailer it was a 70 ft one but we was using it for an office and it was parked next to a old house that we used for storage and it had the only electric meter on the lot so as dumb as it sounds we ran a heavy extension cord from the old house to the mobile home and plugged it into a wall outlet I guess it back fed to the breaker box but everything worked in the trailer but every once in awhile when the ground was soaking wet we would get a little shock when we opened the door on the mobile home I guess we needed it grounded better but as the old saying is if it's not broken then why mess with ti.

Fog

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I mounted a sub-panel (4 wire) next to my main panel. Moved the circuits I wanted to feed with the generator to the sub-panel. I supplied the sub-panel through a manual generator transfer switch from a 75 amp breaker in the main panel. Ran the generator feed to the transfer switch into my garage to a generator plug-in receptacle. I keep a 30 foot #10 generator cable in the garage with the generator. When the power goes out I wheel the generator out the garage door, fire it up, attach the cable and close the garage door. The cable runs under the overhead door and there are no fumes in the garage. The circuits that are not in the sub-panel let me know when the power comes back on.

The manual transfer switch, input receptacle, and generator cable are all available from Northern Tool.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.