1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Polymer Framed Auto-.45 ACP Which one?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DJM, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJM

DJM Member

I am looking for recomendations on a polymer framed pistol. I have two 1911 .45 ACP autos, .45 ACP Dillon Square B and .45 ACP bullet casting equipment so I would like to stay with this caliber. It looks like the 3 choices in the $450-550 price range are the Smith & Wesson M&P45, Glock 21 and Sringfield XD. The Smith after a $50 rebate can be bought for $450 and includes 2 clips. The other two run $550 with one clip. Don Miller

2. TheNakedGun

TheNakedGun Member

I would go with the Glock 21 They are great guns that can be shot for a long time the only draw back is they are not recommended for led bullets

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Why not consider a Smith 625 revolver in this fun caliber? No misfeeds, no picking up brass, stellar accuracy!

Did I mention no picking up brass? LOL

4. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

I have the XD Tactical (5 inch) which I think is a good gun. I think the 5 inch in 45 has advantages. The extra length is nicer to shoot in my opinion. There is a chat line called xdtalk.com that has lots of user comments. The grip on the XD works better for my hands than most other poly hi-capacity pistols, especially in 45 cal, but your hands may fit something else better. As Shooting Coach mentioned a 625 revolver, I also have one of those. It is a great gun and shoots well, but requires moon clips with 45acp rounds. The XD holds over twice as many rounds so you can go through a lot of ammo a little faster.

5. Shooting Coach

For casual shooting with the 625, it does not need clips. The rounds headspace on the case mouth, and when the cylinder is opened, and the butt is tapped on the bench, the hulls fall right out. The factory grips are rubber. If tapped on wood lightly, hulls which don't fall out when you elevate the muzzle come right out.

Trust me on this. I once shot about 2000 rounds a week through a 625, and only used clips in matches. This gun LOVES cast bullets. I prefer the 200 gr RNFP Cowboy bullet made for the 45 Colt. Whatever powder you use for your trap loads will work fine.

Unique is legendary with cast bullets if you want to buy a powder just for the pistol. Titegroup works great, too. My ONLY esoteric caliber is the 45 Auto Rim, which I really enjoy shooting. Since I have five gallon buckets of 45 Auto brass, I seldom burn up precious Auto Rim brass.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

The XD would be my choice. Springfield offers a LIFETIME warranty.

7. DJM

DJM Member

I had not considered the 625 Smith. It would cost more than the Autos based on MSRP on the Smith website. But it's looking more like I will be getting a rebate check from Uncle Sam that would cover the cost.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, get an H&K USP. You won't be sorry ('cept for the extra cash involved).

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

What about the Kimber? I know they had trouble at first with them but I think they got that all lroned out. The thing held 12 or 15 rounds of .45. Jeff

10. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I'm really partial to my XDs both in .40 S&W and in .45. I traded my Glock on the .40 cal after I found that the XD has a better grip angle in relation to the barrel. I had a tendency to shoot high with the Glock because the grip was more angled; that's not an issue with the Springfield. Plus, the Glock gets clogged shooting all-lead bullets; the Springfield will shoot anything.

Morgan

11. DJM

DJM Member

Can anyone tell me about the lead bullet issue with the Glock. I shoot about 95% home cast bullets out of my 1911s as they are inexpensive. I use a hardened lead alloy and have never had (or at least seen) a leading problem. Why are the Glocks restricted on the use of lead bullets? Does this include hard cast (Lyman # 6 alloy)lead bullets as well? Is there a cleaning procedure that can be followed to make them work in the Glock? Is there a risk to the gun or user if lead bullets were used?

I did have a H & K in my hands at the store and I liked the way it looked and fit my hand. They were going for about $850. I was not aware Kimber was in this market. I have an older Custom Stainless 1911 and I like that a lot.

12. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

From the above web site...

"Q: Can I shoot bare lead bullets from my Glock? If not, why?

A: It is not a good idea to shoot bare lead bullets from your Glock. There are two basic reasons, the first is that the polygonal rifling in a Glock barrel really grips the bullet - this causes lead bullets to leave heavy deposits of lead when the gun is fired - heavy deposits of lead can lead to over-pressure problems - over-pressure problems can lead to nasty things like case failures. The second reason is that where the chamber meets the bore there is a sharp full edge (standard rifling does not have such a pronounced edge). This edge can shave off lead from the bullet and cause a headspace problem (the round will not fully seat) - again, this can lead to things like a case failure. Shoot plated or jacketed bullets only.

Case failures occur in Glocks because a percentage of the case is unsupported in the chamber. Anything that causes an over-pressure condition may well vent the chamber pressure through the case and into the grip. The results of this kind of failure can be observed here: The Gun Zone

Morgan

13. Shooting Coach

At the Glock Armorer's class, I was told heavy lead fouling caused by the barrel being incompatible with lead bullets would cause an increase in chamber pressure that could easily cause a case failure (kaboom) if they were used.

Mr Greene, the fellow that taught the class, said this could happen in as little as THREE ROUNDS!

Don't shoot lead bullets through a Glock.

Used 625's are available on the Smith & Wesson forum.

14. scottheid

scottheid TS Member

Get a Smith & Wesson M & P in 45acp. Great gun and there are a bunch of police depts. switching to them. Scott

15. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Does anybody know if the kimber polymer frames Hi-Cap guns are reliable?Jeff

16. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Take a good look at the XD. I've shot several of them in the past year or so. They are an impressive gun for the money. OR...try the choices and make a choice. Personally I'm quite impressed by the XD platform. Especially if You wish to use cast bullets. the glock doesn't do well with cast.

FN in MT

17. Shooting Coach

Right now, the M & P has magazine issues. The gun will drop mags under recoil and when the loaded mag hits a hard surface, it loses the floorplate and pukes the rounds on the ground. NOT GOOD.

I am sure they are working on this, but we should not be doing field testing when our life might be on the line!

Better to get a Glock G-21, and buy an accessory barrel suitable for cast bullets.

Better still to get a Smith fun gun.

18. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Smith & Wesson has some major quality issues the last few years, visit some other pistol sites and you will see quite a few issues. I had a sigma 40, nice reasonably priced gun, but you couldnt hit the back wall of the range with it, it was horrible, it had some other feeding issues also. Its a shame to see a once great gun maker offer such a mediocre product now.

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

I bought an XD in .45 last year. It points very well for me.

It is reasonably accurate and the recoil is not bad at all. I have three Kimbers but never carry them anymore.

I like having 14 rounds even if I may not need them all. I like not having a safety. I like the heavier and longer trigger pull on the XD; as I am sure I will be crapping my pants when things get ugly - and a short 4 lb crisp trigger pull may cause an AD when the adrenaline is pumping.

The XD is no Clark - my favorite .45 for target work; but the XD is the best 45 carry gun I have. It shoots cast bullets without complaint for cheap(er) practice.

In the end, buy the gun you shoot well. It is best to try different models if you can. It will be a big mistake to base your choice on price.

You have picked the right caliber with the .45.

Don

20. bambambam

bambambam Member

The answer on the Kimber hi-cap gun is yes they are very reliable. I have one it shoots very accurate but the mags are a little pricey.I was in this same market and found one onthe internet at a very good price.There is a stainless frame underneth the polymer no other polymer framed gun is like this.Very solid and comfortable to shoot{I have small hands}plus it holds 14 rounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.