1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Polarized sFishing Glasses

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kenf, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

I'm in the market for new polarized fishing glasses and wanted to get the honest scoop on whats out since being away from fishing for awhile. My Dad has a pair of 25 year old Costa Del Mar glasses, but it is hard to tell if the quality is still what it used to be and you get to many varying opinions on the Cabelas site.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

Ken,

If you are in the market for new shooting glasses, Randolph has polarized lenses available for the XLW's. I use the XLW's to shoot with the standard type of shooting lenses and I use them to fish with using the Copper and Moss Yellow Polarized lenses. Great lenses for fishing. Reduced glare, great color separation, and no squinting.

They offer Grey, Copper, and Moss Yellow. Take a peek at the website for more information.

Good luck,

Cory

[​IMG]

3. Damifino

Damifino Member

Shooting glasses are not the same as ones designed for fishing.

I have owend most all the brands. Most of the high end glasses are great from any of the mfgr's - Liked Costa's, Ocean Waves and Hobie's. Probably like the Ocean Waves "Big Kahuna" the best. Sat on them and they replaced them for nothing.

I currently have Maui Jim's - Can't wait til I lose them or they break.

I wanna try the Smith Action's next time if I can find a deal.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Decot's....

Curt

5. kenf

kenf Active Member

Looking for opinions on fishing glasses- I already have a set of Post 4 glasses. Getting ready for a trip to Canada and want to be prepared.

6. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

I'm a saltwater fisherman of bottom wrecks and the offshore gulf stream.

Foster Grants used to be my favorite until I couldn't find this one model anymore. Now wear Costas.

7. tdahlke

tdahlke TS Member

oakley fishing specific lenses, once you get a pair you won't want anything else.

8. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Maui Jim's. Unbelievable warrenty. Break your glasses they replace them or repair them for $25.00. They have replaced one pair of mine and repaired another. Kim

9. front242

front242 Member

I third Maui Jims. I have a pair that have been fished from Cabo to Alaska and have been literally everywhere in between by water. That's a lot of miles. I liked them so much I bought a second pair just like them and a third with a different frame. However, I'm still on the first pair even though they have high mileage. When the lenses get scratched or the earpieces get ragged, I send them in and for $65 they change out the lenses, replace the arms, replace the ear pieces, hinges, etc... You basically get a new pair of glasses. It takes about a week and a half-2 weeks.

F242
    Tim

10. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I have been using Solar Bats for several years & love them. They are less expensive than the other brands & so far I can't justify the difference in price or quality of the more expensive brands over Solar Bats.
    My suggestion would be to try on as many brands as you can & you'll probably find one taht fits better & you like better than the others.

i_shoot

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Depending upon the type of fishing you want to do... pick the best lenses...

At Orvis, we currently offer tints for specific applications in our Tri-Spectrum and HVO series, in Rose, Amber, Orange and/or Gray for streams, open water and/or saltwater flats.

I presently use a pair Orvis Oakleys. They are the VR28 Polarized, plus I picked up a pair of the new Shallow Blue - pop in what I need when and where as needed...

Regardless of brand, get the right tool to do the job!

Jay

12. arend003

arend003 Member

Smith Action Optics is all I have used for fishing and it is all they make. I have RX ones and love them best polarized sun glasses I have had and the way they set the Bi-focal it makes them great for tying on small flies and jigs.
    Tom

13. mpipster

mpipster TS Member

I also prefer Maui Jim's. Try on a pair from the "classic" line. Nothing beats the optical clarity/precision of real glass lenses (polarized of course). I prefer the Tornado's - been wearing them for years. You can usually find local (eye glass) stores that carry the brand. If you buy online, beware of the fakes - buy from a reputable / authorized online dealer.

14. mpipster

mpipster TS Member

whoops - I meant the "Typhoon" as my favorite - sorry

15. alabamahunter

alabamahunter TS Member

I wear Costa Del Mars almost exclusively as my fishing glasses. The fact of the matter is all of the high-end manufactures make a high-quality product. Hence, the price. My dad is an optician, and finally got fed up with Oakley frames breaking and swapped over to Costa. Costas dont break anywhere near as often as Oakleys. Maui Jim also makes some pretty good glasses, as do numerous other companies. My personal prefrence is Costa, but the main thing is to get a high-quality product. As with most things, you get what you pay for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.