1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Pointing Labradors

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I am contemplating a new hunting dog. Many years ago I had a lab that naturally pointed birds. He was a great retriever and duck dog but he would circle pheasants and point them till the hunters arrived. I understand that there are folks who have now been breeding for this trait. I would want a breeder who did all the necessary health tests as well as bred and tested for retrieving, hunting and pointing traits. Does anyone have information to share on this subject? Thanks, Jake

2. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

The so called pointing lab is not my cup of tea, but if they work for you you might contact Trieven Kennels in Wy @1888-874-3836 I have judged their dogs in Retriever Hunt Tests and they have done well. I have also hunted over a "red" lab with a linage back to Hunter's Point Kennel Indiana 812-883-2343.
    Most labs will point (stop to flush) all you have to do is encourage that behavior and you have a pointing lab. Labs will find birds but their point lacks excitement.
    Go Well
    Wayne

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Jay and Val Walker (Trieven) have been in the retriever business a long time, both Labs and Goldens, and have always raised fine dogs. Give them a call.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Our last Lab was not a Pointing Lab but he did the "Pause before the Pounce" routine that looked so great. He was definitely aggressive enough to make any bird wanna flush. He was fantastic on following a ground trail but I could keep up with him and he didn't bust the birds too far.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

they flash point at best

if you want a pointer that is easy to train- try a french brit from a good breeder - not a fly by night

If you want a retriever get a lab from a good breeder

If you want to kid yourself that a dog will do both- get a pointing lab

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Fred- believe me- if there was a combination dog like you believe and the rest of the dog world and hunters and trainers were wrong- we would all be surprised

Fred- sounds like you have been done in by Trieven marketing

You dont get something for nothing---

If you want a lab - get a good lab from good retriever lines--- and maybe you can read its body language in the uplands

Most labs- at least labs from line where they pass hunting tests- work well in the uplands or on water

If you want a pointing dog - get a pointing dog- and some of the ones from close European connections such as French Brits, or German Wirehair Pointing Griffins work close- retrieve- often retrieve from water. I know a guy that has a Griffon that has retrieved more ducks than most labs will ever see in a lifetime

Another option is a springer spaniel from good springer lines or an American Water Spaniel-- many of these flushing dogs can be read - and you know when they are going to flush a bird

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Hmm. I am suprised at the response.

I used to raise, train, and even breed (some) labs, goldens, pointers and setters. Hell, I wish I had time in my life for GSPs, vislas, britneys, weimeraners, chessies, springers and more. But sadly, my life has been mostly in the cities. But, I am tellin' ya, my lab, Jason, was a great lab retriever who would break ice for ducks and he was a pretty darn good pointer. In particular, when pheasants were running he knew it and would run around them and hunt toward the guns. When he pinned a rooster 100 yards away he flat out held it till the guns were there and then flushed on command. All natural and learned behavior. Now, I know some folks have been breeding for this pointing trait.

I am surprised that in this forum the subject gets dissed. Probably, you all are right. The pointing lab is not predictable enough to seek out. But I am only going to get one hunting dog and much as I love the uplands, I also want a strong retriever. Alas.
    Regards, Jake

8. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

Two weeks ago I shot at a pheasant club ( No wild birds in So Cal) with a couple labs. The trainer at this particular club prides himself on trainting labs to point. Frankly, the labs were pretty poor pointers. It seemed that they had been trained to point and hold, but were not particularly enthusiastic about it and did a rather poor imitation of a pointer. Furthermore, I enjoy hunting with a good flushing dog which is what I've seen labs do naturally on upland game. These dogs had been forced trained to point and therefore they were afraid to flush the birds. If you like a pointing dog, it just doesn't make sense to go with a lab when there are a lot of great natural pointers you don't have to force. I think a lab is a great upland dog, but he's a flusher and not a pointer.

9. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I haven't seen many pointing breeds go through a bunch of reeds and then break thin ice to retrieve a goose. Jake

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have a big yellow lab that has grown up along side of a pair of GSP and guess what ... he points. But as some other poster noted, the lab points are not as intense or spectacular as what the GSPs do. I don't know what that intensity is worth because you can get plenty of birds either way. It sounds to me like a pointing lab would be a good choice for the wide variety of hunting that you like to do. Good luck on finding that new best friend and have a great time training each other!

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I hunt ducks and geese equally with quail and pheasants. My favorite dog for both upland and waterfowl are GWP's or within their breed (http://www.vdd-gna.org./)organization DD's. They have a double coat that allows them to do duck work in cold weather and the build of a pointing dog that allows them to reach out and run when needed. I use them on ducks up until the water freezes and on wild quail in areas where a dog has to reach far and wide to find birds. I haven't hunted with another breed yet that can do both as well.

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I still preferr my retrieving pointing brits.

13. Duck

Duck Member

MR Ducks,

I'd like that SD Lab Info please.
    Do they have a website?.

Thank's!.

14. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

How about the guy who used a Lab with a cattle dog. The cattle dog, when sent, out would work ahead of a running rooster and push it back towards the Lab to get a flush.

Read about it in a training book,never saw it myself.

I do take one of my labs with my pointer to help with the retrieves. She has not learned that pointing is only half of the game.

Take care,

Jim