1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Plated .45acp bullets???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Thinking about cutting some costs with plated 230 grain RN bullets. Seems like a lot of people are using Rainier and Berry's bullets. Anybody load these, any problems with loading or shooting these? I'll just be using these for plinking, with a Sig P-220. Is there a better plated bullet? Thanks for any info.

Wayne

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Both are excellent.. just don't push them over 850 fps for best results.. If you are shooting outdoors.. why not just use good lead bullets..??? Missouri Bullets has a good sale on now.. I love their 185 wadcutter..

3. jfesi

jfesi Member

+1 on the Missouri Bullets. I shoot a lot of them. 200-300 per week through a DW 1911. They are the most accurate bullets by far. I do not have any leading issues. I load them per the technical instructions for BHN hardness on the Mo Bullet web site.

Thanks, Joe

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Joe.. Did you get their sale flyer on the H&G style button nose 185's???

5. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

I've had really good luck with the Ranier 180 gr .400 bullets in my 10mm. I'm pushing between 1250 and 1300 fps and have had no apparent problems with separation out to 25 yds and they seem to be pretty accurate, more so than Hornady XTP Hollow points and on par with Speer Gold Dots. Much better than the only FMJ I've tried (Winchesters).

James Allen

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I commercially load Berry plated and cast bullets in 380, 9mm, 38, 357, 40, 45 Auto and the 45 Colt's. The plated bullets are very acceptable in Glocks.

Plated bullets work fine. Cast are cheaper.

I have seen many P220's that would not digest SWC bullets. I would say to stick with the RN types. I am sure, if you want to shoot cast, that you can find a good 200 gr Cowboy bullet made for the 45 Colt's. They feed in EVERYTHING, have stellar accuracy, and are easy on the pocket book.

Crimp barely above the lube groove with a light taper crimp.

With this said, Precision Delta sells hardball bullets for the 45 Auto at prices below the plated variety. It may take a while to get the first order in, but after that, order more before you run out.

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I load .40 S&W with Berry Bullets. I like them. They are very clean to loasd and shoot compared to cast stuff. I load them down a bit. The manufacturer says to load them to a speed somewhere between cast bullets and jacketed bullets for best results. They are also pretty consistant in bullet weight.

8. jfesi

jfesi Member

I got the flyer and plane on ordering 1000. I hear that the flat bottom makes them even better as far as leading.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Coach..If you want to send me that pretty 220 you're selling for a full evaluation of 185's.. I'd be happy to do it for a friend..LOL...

Our indoor range does not allow lead based bullets.. except in 22.. everything else must be plated or jacketed base.. I find the cost of plated not a whole bunch cheaper than jacketed bullets.. so I mainly load jacketed ZERO bullets for indoors.. and lead for outdoors.. I've loaded the plated bullets and treat them the same as lead.. Never had any issues.. To plink with..a 185 wadcutter does as good of job of killing the paper as anything.. no cripples.. and few targets get away..

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have used both Berry's and Rainier bullets and found them both to be good bullets. I was a pretty serious pistol shooter and seldom ever bought less than 1000 at a time. I only had trouble with some cast bullets from a local guy who is out of business now. I used a lot of copper plated bullets from National bullet in eastlake Ohio, but they folded up. After seeing one Glock bulge the barrel, I never shoot anything but Jacketed bullets in a Glock. My custom 1911's, Beretta's and revolvers were happy with almost anything. The copper plated bullets are a lot cleaner than plain cast, but not as clean as Jacketed. Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.