1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Plasma vs LCD TV

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jm1079, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Am getting ready to buy a new tv and I need to decide on plasma or LCD. I really would appreciate any info from those who have either one and which one they would recommend. Thanks in advance. JM

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Buy one of the better grade LCD's. Don't even waste your time on a plasma tv.

ss

3. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

Buy the LCD, Any lights or windows will reak havoc on your picture with the plasma, I have owned both, Buy a good LCD & forget the rest.

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Samsung LCD

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Plasmas are also much heavier and can experience burn-in. In the last couple years I took a chance on two 46"-47" Vizio LCDs and couldn't be happier.

-Gary

6. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

I bought a plasma a couple of years ago after the first decline in prices. Although it has been a good unit, with a great picture... I would look at the LCD's or LED's... I found out shortly after purchasing that the energy consumption is multiples higher on the plasma...

LWL

7. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Have both...don't waste the money on a plasma. Kim

8. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

If you have a bright room/lots of windows and have to share it with the kids go for the LCD. If you have a dedicated man cave and sit around watching Nine Inch Nails then go plasma.

9. moowho

moowho Member

LED is the way to go, Uses less energy and doesn't get hot. Picture is just beautiful, Samsung top of the line.

10. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

I have been so happy with my plasma TVs. The picture is great, sports look amazing in high def. The LCD TV (even the 120 hz) look blurry to me during sports).

I just looked at OLED Tv at best buy, wanted 2500 dollars for an 11 inch set. I didn't like it enough to buy it.Never the less, the picture was great.

11. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

I just spent the last month researching and looking at hundreds of different flat panel sets in the 50' size range. If you like your TV to be bright, buy an LCD set. The technology on these sets is newer than plasma, and you're paying for it. The plasma technology has been around longer, so you definitely get more bang for your buck than you would with an LCD, and especially the new LED models, which are ridiculous money right now. The whole thing about burn-in is a scare tactic used by salespeople to get you to buy the new more expensive technology. I challenge you to find anyone who's bought a plasma set in the last year who's had even a remote issue with burn-in... It's a thing of the past. The whole thing about energy consumption is also relative. Unless you're sitting in your basement 12 hours a day on your XBox, plasma versus LCD is negligible in energy used. I found the picture to be so much smoother and life-like when comparing the plasma technology to the LCD. If you watch a lot of sports, The LCD sets are far from smooth, unless you go real high end. If you've got a room full of people watching the set, you can forget about angle of view on the LCD's. Once you get off center, the picture pretty much goes that way too. The plasma is the better option if you've got a family sitting at different spots in the room. I'm just giving you some things to think about, since I've just been through it and I'm trying to lighten up on your homework. Ultimately, it will come down to looking at as many sets as you can stand, and don't be afraid to use the internet as a source of information. It's what ultimately let me to purchase a Panasonic plasma TV. Good luck, and remember, everything you read here is just one person's opinion. :-}

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Plasma has very little future on the market, it's heading the same path as Beta types.

LCD has overcame it's initial short falls from 6 years ago, it's replacing Plasma TV at a very steady step. It's 1/4 of the weight, generate 1/4 of the heat, and use 1/3 of the energy.

13. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

I have one of each. Panasonic plasma and Sumsung LCD. Plasma is better.

BK

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Whatever you do don't buy a DLP. I got one about 3 years ago. Picture is great. Have to replace a $200.00 lamp every 2 years. Technology became history overnight. What do do you expect for $3600.00-- Its a Samsung--50". Also buy your TV on line. You will usually get a way better price & no sales tax.

Phil Berkowitz

15. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

PAT do it the easy way.walk into a large tv dept and look at the tv's playing.the plasama will put the lcd to shame.I have2lcd and 1 plasama.guess which is in my tv room.the picture puts the others to shame just look at them all there together

16. Robb

Robb Member

Plasma. cnet.com has lots of good info.

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm entering the market, too, and am also trying to make an informed decision. Our son has a 52" Samsung plasma set and tells me that burn-in can be prevented by not pausing a game or DVD for long periods of time or playing games that have very little change in background. He says his biggest reasons for going with plasma were a better picture when viewed from an angle and less blur during fast-moving telecasts like auto racing or other sports.

His set does get damned hot, though.

He is right about the blur thing - it's actually a "jumpy" picture. A friend has an expensive LCD set (Sony, I believe) and watching the camera following the ball during a football passing play or a side angle view of auto racing will make you nauseous after a while. The room he has it in is deep but narrow, so the viewing angle thing doesn't come into play.

Thanks for the informative posts thus far!

Ed

18. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've been looking myself. I have a bright room so LCD is my choice. But it's a big room so viewing angle counts. Only a few LCD's have good "off center" viewing. Tosiba is one of them. I would get the 240 refresh rate. I was at Sears looking and the difference going from 60 to 240 is amazing. I also was blown away on how clear the new LED Tv's are. Big money but I may wait until they drop in price then get that. Consumer Reports has helped a lot. My brother has an online subscription. Enjoy the experience. Dave T.

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

Went through this issue two years ago and bought a 42" Plasma. Would probably buy a LCD today.

TB

20. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

We just bought a plasma three weeks ago. Veiwing angles were a concern. The Panasonic 46" was on sale for one morning only at Wally-World. Paid $750.

Burn in is not an issue with this set. If a non-moving picture has remain on the screen for more than a few moments, the TV will shut off. Glare has not been an issure with the sun shining through the south window of our living room.

I too have been reading all I could since last Christmas on a big screen. CNET is a good website. They list the pros and cons of many TVs.

By the way, I was going to purchase this exact same set online..no shipping, no sales tax, but Wally-world beat everyone by $400.

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.