1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Pizza Hut and the 2nd....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff P, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I usually don't post this kind of stuff, but I read this in the American Hunter (the NRA magazine) I got Monday, and it's still bugging me today. So I'm gonna post this and call Pizza Hut.

I don't know where to find or how to post a link....so here's the article in its entirety:

Pizza Hut deliveryman James Spiers thought he was making a routine delivery, but he was walking into an ambush. As Spiers approached, an armed man sprang at him with a gun, but Spiers, a concealed carry permit holder, was no easy target. Police say Spiers struggled hard with the assailant until he was able to produce his handgun. "It was a long ordeal...my life was, without a doubt, in danger," Spiers recalls. Spiers shot the suspect three times. The suspect fled and was arrested at the hospital. Pizze hut summarily fired Spiers, a 10 year employee, citing a corporate policy forbidding employees from carrying firearms. To voice your displeasure, call Pizza Hut Corporate Offices at 800-948-8488 or visit www.pizzahut.com/contactus/contactusform.aspx?11=2024.

I'm thinking i won't be eating any pizza hut pizza....possibly ever. Firing a guy for saving his own life. We might as well elect Obama, LOL,...we've totally lost the bubble in this country.

jeff

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Not taking sides but a 10 year employee would have know about the rules. He deliberately and knowingly broke the rules and paid the penalty.

Eric

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

mixer, so he should have been killed as the option.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Perga1,

That's not the point and you know it. Fortunately he wasn't killed. He violated a company policy and that's why he was fired.

Eric

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'll not support Pizza Hut in any way but one does have to consider having a policy where employees making deliveries or similar may carry and use a firearm would certainly have very costly results for the employer. Whether the employer and employee were sued and were exonerated or not, the expense of such defense in court would be outrageous. I would guess that any such employer having no policy whatsoever would be drug into court just as fast on the theory that he had given tacit approval to his employee by having no policy. I don't like it but I can understand the employer's dilemma....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

That sours my appettite for Pizza Hut assuming the story is 100% factual.

Of course maybe he was a bad employee for other reasons. However, if that were the case, he should have been fired for the appropriate reason.

mixer, he may have broken a company rule, but what kind of an A-hole manager, boss or corporation fires a guy under the circumstances reported. The fact that no one at Pizza Hut knew that he carried a gun or it was never an issue in the past, gives us some insight that neither he or his carry gun caused any problems for his employer, co-workers or customers in the past.

Shouldn't that be the point. The facts and circumstance justify deviation from a hard and fast company rule.

John E.

7. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Mixer, you're right of course! So, he liked his job, didn't want to quit because of the co. policy and didn't want to not be able to protect himself so he made a choice. Pizza Hut elected to institute a policy that was PC and place it's employees life in jeopardy. As the facts prove the employee made a wise decision. JRM

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I think this happened in Des Moines, Ia.

He may have been fired, but at least he has his life and the bad guy got shot.

I would think there are more than one employer that would be willing to hire this guy.

Hauxfan!

9. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

I'm sure Mr. Spiers knew of company policy and chose the following:
    It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
    Unfortunatly, Pizza Hut has told the world that their drivers are unarmed and would make a good target for a robbery. Before the incident there was little thought of an armed driver. After the incident there was doubt as to the probability of a driver being armed. After Mr. Spiers was fired, there is no doubt, Pizza Hut drivers are unarmed, come and get them.

Jere

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

You would be correct Hauxfan, this did happen in Des Moines. I'm surprised it made all the way into an NRA magazine. Josh

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I just sent Pizza Hut an email telling them that their corporate policy and their actions toward a delivery driver who rightfully defended himself and likely saved his life cost them a customer.

Other gun owners should do the same.

This isn't going to sit well with the missus - Pizza Hut's pan pizza is - er, was - her favorite! Those pastas they recently came out with aren't - I mean, weren't - bad, either.

Ed

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I could be wrong but do the drivers use their own vehicles? If you are a leagal holder of a permit to carry can the company dictate conduct off of their premises? If they didn't own the delivery vehicle than I think they may be wrong! In Principle I Disagree with their policy but feel they may have had a write to fire him. Even police officers involved in a firearms discharge are automatically suspended pending the outcome of an investigation. Does Pizza Hut have the right to hire and fire as they see fit? I think so. I'm not going to eat there ever again. If enough law abiding gunowners join forces as a consumer group it would have an adverse effect on the Pizza Hut Corp.
    Joe

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Don't tell us Mixer, you're a liberal democrat right? No logical person would fail to see that some rules are too ridiculous not to be broken. By your logic Rosa Parks would still be sitting in the back of the bus and Martin Luther King wouldn't have a holiday named after him.

Buz

14. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

getting fired from pizza hut is akin to getting fired from sears.

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. I have a friend who works for Chevrolet in Detroit and moonlights for Domino's delivering pizzas. He stared doing it 15 years ago when he first got transferred there and his wife hadn't sold their home in Pennsylvania and wasn't living with him in Michigan. He did so well financially at Domino's that he never stopped.

As far as using their own vehicles, AOL has a corporate policy that bans all firearms from their property. Two employees were terminated because they had guns they intended to shoot at a range after work in the trunks of their cars in AOL's parking lot. If that one held up in court (and it did), the Pizza Hut policy probably would, too.

Ed

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

"Don't tell us Mixer, you're a liberal democrat right?
    No logical person would fail to see that some rules are too ridiculous not to be broken.

Buz"

My political position is not at issue here. While I do agree with your second sentence, I'm hopeful that you can understand that there are penalitys for breaking the rules whether you agree with them or not.

Eric

17. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

there are a lot more details to this story. mr. spiers was making the last delivery of the night. he was stiffed by the drug addict who ordered the pizza.then after he left hte idiot decided to rob him. technically as soon as he delivered the pizza he was off duty. anyway when the nut puts a gun to his head he struggles with the guy then pulls his own gun and pops the guy. he was a hero in iowans eyes. also he was delivering to a dangerous part of town. i hadn't heard that pizza hut had fired him.jackmitch

ps this happened almost a year ago so some of the details are sketchy in my memory.

18. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Jackmitch, I think it happened a little less than a year ago, but I guess that's not the point...I typed "Pizza delivery man shoots attacker" in Google and there are all sorts of stories of delivery men either getting shot or shooting attackers...lots of interesting information on the web. Josh

19. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Sent my email and contact information.

20. tomk2

tomk2 Member

What is shocking is that there are people who need this issue as a reason to avoid Pizza Hut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.