1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Pistol Info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by unioncracker, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Looking for somewhat small carry gun.Something for under the workbench in my business. The local gunshop has the Keltec 9mmParkerized,300.00) and stoeger 8040F, 40SW(339.00). Anybody have any feedback on these guns.Have a 45,1911a1 but want to keep it at the house.Other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Buddy

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

S&W 38 caliber revolver, when you pull the trigger it goes bang. If not you just pull the trigger again. Very reliable. HMB

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

HMB is right for what you want. I have a smith mod 36 within reach almost anywhere in the house ( no kids just us)They are everywhere and all loaded

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have carried the Beretta Cougar 8040 for 10 years. It is an outstanding gun. I have put all my other "carrys" away. I trust this gun and depend on it in uniform and out. That is a great price, by the way, if it is in good shape.

JON

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I carry a Sig 230 380. Its a great little gun. HMB is also correct to the fact pick up point shoot. A revolver is a good under the counter gun. The other gun that I like but don't carry is a custom Redhawk 3" barrel 44 mag. If you don't hit them you scorch them. LOL

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

KelTecs are fine for a real compact and light carry gun. Why not just keep the 1911? Find something else for the house. A decent Remington LE 870 fills the bill nicely at home. Stuff a KelTec 9MM in your pocket (With a holster) if you'd like. I like my KelTecs, since they are real light and compact. I would just rather have something more substantial if it comes down to serious social work. I have a few Sigs that seem to be my preference when the conditions allow me to carry them. My P220 has been carried more often than others, since I would prefer to make the biggest hole I can right out of the gate AND it is quite reliable. Hence my recommendation to keep the 1911 at the shop if it functions well.

7. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Another vote for the S&W J frames.

jim brown

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

To me, a carry gun and an under-the-counter gun are two very different animals. A carry gun needs to usually be a compromise size and weight that suits your particular body and wants. A house/car/counter gun needn't be a compromise. Get what you handle and shoot best. Maybe a full-size .44 Spl revolver, 1911 .45, Ruger Security Six .357, Glock Model 35 .40, or whatever you can grab-n-shoot well. Big and heavy is always easier to shoot well, and here's where you don't need to look at mini-guns. Phil E

9. 221

221 Banned User Banned

Keep in mind that a small pistol, will still be a small pistol, if you ever have to whip it out. I try not to let my clothing be the determining factor on what I carry for personal protection.

Ask yourself this....is your life worth less when wearing a t shirt, than a coat? Or on the street? Why would you need a 12ga 00 buck in the safety of your home and only a 3~ something on the street?

I realize the ramifications of CC....but....Most, gun-up and arm their house like a fortress and think they only need a small/little gun for protection on the street.....%~)

10. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Thanks for the info and remarks.Let me clarify what I'm wanting to do.Like many, my house is well protected.No issues there.I have a couple of big boy,do the job pistols,ie,357 and a 1911a1,45,that goes with me on trips and I have been taking to my office and putting under the work bench.I would like to stop carrying it back and forth.When I get my cc permit,I want something that is more concealable and maybe something I can attach under the bench and leave it.Maybe not the way to look at it but if someone breaks in when I am not here and they are lucky to find it???I'm only out $300 instead of a gold cup that I would cry if I did not have it anymore.That is why I was thinking the keltec or stoeger.Am I not thinking the way I should.If I had a place to put it out of the way and get to it quick enough I would put a 12 ga in the office.I may also just decide to keep the weapon on me at work instead of under the bench.Just have not finally decided on the cc permit.Hope this makes more sense.Now for more words of wisdom.I read a lot on this site and a lot of men and women on this site make good sense.

Thanks

Buddy

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

K-frame Smith in 38 or 357. 38 with +P 125 grain hollowpoints,357 with same bullet. Best stop ration around. As stated above, fire. Fire again, if you need to but you likely won't. Keep your eye on the front sight.

Pachmayr or Hogue grips might be a nice addition. I like Uncle Mike's Boot grips.

Model 10 with three inch barrel and round butt is my favorite.

12. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

????? You want to bet your ass on a .380 KelTec?

Why not just get a police trade in Glock 23? They sell them around here for $325. Sets the standard in going bang when you need it to, will put them in the dirt, and won't break the bank.

Or,

Dude, I'm about to do you the biggest favor of your life and give you this link. I usually keep this guy a secret. You want a kick-ass carry gun in a serious business caliber that won't break the bank, here it is.

$370

13. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I just got a Glock 26, and I tell you, it's a sweet gun. You would NEVER thought such a small pistol would be so easy to shoot well.

14. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Glock 22

$330

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Since you stated an under the counter gun. As long as its not used for carry. I would recommend the Taurus Judge. At close encounters of the unfriendly kind it will leave a definit impression. I use 000 buck alternated with #6. Its my car gun. 3 triple 0's & 2 #6 shells should get the job done. I'm not a handgunner---but this gun is great for what its meant to do.

Phil Berkowitz

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Under the counter? How about a short pump gun 12 gauge. Or the .45, or both.

I would want some firepower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.