1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Picking first fresh veggies from the garden

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ShootinSue, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

With all the rain and heat we have had , the garden is growing fast. We picked our first head of broccoli today. The tomatoes are blooming, green beans are coming on, the corn looks great (if we can pick it before the raccoons and deer get it). Cukes, peppers, cabbage, lettuce, onions are looking great as well. Can't wait to make homemade coleslaw. Anyone else have big gardens?

ShootinSue
    shootinsue_2008_030318.jpg

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a big one in my neighbors yard next door, just can't pick anything when he's home ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

All of you are a far piece to the South of us, we were just able to get our veggies in this past week.

4. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

here in alabama we been pickin tomatoes and cukes and squash for 2 good weeks and done had 2 messes of snap beans already, done canned 14 qrts tomatoes

5. ShootinSue

Can't wait for those first vine ripened tomatoes...BLT's and burgers! Canning too of course.

The only thing we do different for the broccoli is we mulch everything heavy with straw. Most plants like cool damp ground however, love the sun. Straw does not pack down and lets the plant breathe, unlike grass clippings or plastic, and tills in great in the fall.

ShootinSue

Thought I'd chime in on Sue's post and say that we always plant the Packman variety of broccoli. It yields huge heads like the one pictured and is ready in about 50 days from transplanting. Gives lot's of side shoots after cutting the main head, too. I use Bt to take care of the cabbage worms as I refuse to use Seven pesticide on the part of the plant we are going to eat.

It's been a late, cold, rainy Spring here in NW Illinois. We had a late frost (a week past the average frost date) so I waited to put in the tender varieties until almost a month later than usual for some.

Terry

6. ShootinSue

rpeerless,
    Depending on your location, you could try a Fall crop of Packman. I'd look at the average first killer frost date for your area then figure about 2 months back to start seeds. Broccoli can stand up to a light frost. One thing I do is add a little bit of 10-10-10 fertilizer and a small amout of pelleted lime to the holes where the transplants go. Dig it deep enough and add some soil so that the roots don't contact the fertilizer or they may burn. The lime helps fight against clubroot which can be a problem. One thing, I rotate locations for broccoli or any member of the brassica family to prevent this disease. So far, there have been no problems. Good luck with the Fall crop.

Terry

7. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Here's N.E. Georgia Mts. First Pick. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart
    flabigpapa_2008_0303375.jpg

flabigpapa_2008_0303376.jpg

8. porky

porky TS Member

I have found that broccoli can witstand temperatures down to about 20 degrees. When it gets to that temp it is usually Dec here. The broccoli isn't usually growing too much by then. If you let the broccoli plant stay in the garden, the deer will finish it for you.

9. ShootinSue

Since there's been so much rain this year, things are really growing. This cabbage plant is from a friend our ours. His son got it as a school project to bring back in when school starts up next month, I think. I hope he wins first place.

Terry

shootinsue_2008_030322.jpg

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be great if grocery stores had gardens on their rooftops and sold fresh produce all of the time? I'd pay more for that.

11. neofight

neofight TS Member

Here in the PNW(Southern Orry_Gone) we're a little behind the growing curve. The only thing i've been picking is gthe lettuce. The tomatoes are coming along, as are the snow peas and beans, cukes, squash, but it will be a while before we taste those critters.Everything is in raised beds and fenced to keep the critters out..

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've done ate all my broccoli. Picked a couple of heads of cabbage over the weekend and had coleslaw tonight. I picked one ripe tomato the other day and will pick another tomorrow, but the rest are a couple of weeks away.

Planted radishes and carrots early this spring but didn't get much. The radishes were spongy, and the carrots are very small. The potato tops look good, but won't know if they produce anything till I dig them in a month or so.

The green beans have came up spotty and I planted and replanted em 3 times. Ditto for the sweet corn.

This is the first year in a few years that I planted any sweet corn. If I get it to come up, a thunderstorm will knock it down. It will usually straighten up 1 time but then a week later another wind will knock it down and then it is done for the year. If it comes up and survives the thunderstorms the raccoons will get it the day before you pick it. They know exactly when it is ripe! A couple of years ago I had sweet corn and the coons got it all but maybe one ear. I finally caught the coon but only after he got all the corn. So, what else could I do, but let him go? What's the point of shooting him then?

13. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

We had freah strawberries and home made scones on fathersday ,,berries from our patch in Eastern Washington ,,,,MX8Dave

14. ShootinSue

Hey Vern, Have Brenda send that receipe to me.....if it helps with the lawn darts!!! LOL............

Sue

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Here in northern MN, I think we just lost our garden. Seeds have been planted for over two weeks and only radishes and lettuce has begun to sprout. We've had nothing but rain and cloudy days and I'm thinking the remaining seeds have begun to rot.

The wife and I are going to "dig" into the situation this weekend and see what's gone wrong.

Doug

16. ShootinSue

Here's a shot of the rows of broccoli and cabbage and soggy conditions. It just won't quit raining here. That's why I used raised beds (made with the tiller and an hiller/furrower attachment) for many plants so that they will drain better. The weeds have been hard to keep up with since I can't till as much as I'd like. The straw helps a lot but I need to put down more.

Thanks everyone for their pictures and garden stories. It's interesting how different parts of the country deal with varying weather conditions. I really wish we could send our rain down to Texas or the other states that are having a drought. We have wayyyy too much water here.

Terry

shootinsue_2008_030324.jpg

17. kenf

kenf Active Member

Does anybody know if Daconil is good after being froze? I left my bottle on the porch this past winter and am trying to get rid of some silver mold on my cucumber plants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.