1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Pellet Rifle For Squirrels

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I am looking for recommendations on a good quality pellet rifle and scope to use to reduce the squirrel population around the house that is working our bird feeders over. Any recommendations on brand, model, caliber, etc. is appreciated. Can't use a rimfire rifle or shotgun due to neighborhood restrictions.

2. missalot

missalot TS Member

I have a Remington SUMMIT, made by Crossman, spring powered pellet rifle. I have killed about 25 squirrels in my back yard with shots between 25 and 70 yards, using the PBA pellets. After 3 tries I gave up on scopes and just use the iron sites.

3. missalot

missalot TS Member

I have a Remington SUMMIT, made by Crossman, spring powered pellet rifle. I have killed about 25 squirrels in my back yard with shots between 25 and 70 yards, using the PBA pellets. After 3 tries I gave up on scopes and just use the iron sites.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

if shots are within 25 yards even one of those crossman pumps that you can buy at walmart with a scope for 40 dollars will kill the with bbs

If you shoot pellets in it- it is good to 50-70 yards or so

the cheap scope on that package is fine for this purpose

the pump is more quiet than a break open gun if you are in an neighborhood setting

bbs have some advantages-- they dont carry as far - you can load them in the magazine and they are very cheap

Gene

5. folothru

folothru Member

if your going to put a scope on your pellet rifl you need to put on one that is designed for a pellet rifle that is a high velocity,other wise you wont be able to keep it sighted in............rws with iron sights 22 cal.

6. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

I use a Sheridan Blue Streak .20 cal. w/ a 6X Weaver mounted up....deadly accurate and drops them like a stone using Beeman Silver Jets.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

7. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

Winchester 1000X, break open, 1000 fps all you'll ever need for back yard pests.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

RWS - 900fps. Came with a scope. If I hit 'em they drop.

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I wait 'til they get a lot closer. A 70yd. squirrel shot is a bit like "skybusting" ducks.

10. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

I have never been able to keep a scope mount from moving on a pellet gun. Is there a secret

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

On a dead calmn day with the right rifle 70 is a chip shot. Airgunning is a huge sport and the guns can run into the thousands. One of the guys from trapshooters.com that lives here in Oregon has a pellet gun that he was KILLING Rock chucks at 100 yards plus. It's amazing that you can choose from hundreds of diffrent pellets in all diffrent shapes, weights. Jeff

12. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I know you said you can't use a rimfire, but if you use CB caps it is more quiet than the pellet rifle. Just a thought, Jeff

13. sherpa

sherpa TS Member

[​IMG]

Beeman R9 or R11 .177 930 fps

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

These guns are not bad for the money. I had a chance to shoot the viper exspress with the mini shot shells pounding soda cans at 20y. fun shooter

15. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

RWS .177 with a 2 x 7 scope knocks squirrels on their ying yang.

16. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

Take a look at powderless shells for your .22 LR (the primer drives the bullet)Quieter than a pellet gun and works great at 50-75 yards. save your gun money for trapshooting or women.

LL

17. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the information. If I don't do something about the squirrels my wife is going to be after me with her S&W .357.

18. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

DoubleAuto:

We have had a squirrel problem around our bird feeders for years. We tried all kinds of tricks including greasing the poles to the bird feeders. No matter what, the squirrels got to the bird feeders.

Finally, we started feeding the squirrel’s black oil sunflower seeds at a nearby location. The squirrels left the bird feeders alone and we now enjoy watching the squirrels. We put out the seeds in multiple piles so as to keep the squirrels apart. My wife laughs so hard she almost cries at some of their antics.

As an added attraction, we now have several chipmunks that come by, stuff their cheeks full of seeds and return to their burrows. One made over 20 trips on day and he lived over 50 yards away.

A new visitor is an old silver/grey groundhog that likes the sunflower seeds. He lies on his belly and chows down on the seeds.

This may sound crazy but we love watching the small animals as well as the birds.

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

BigAl is right, a 70 yard shot with a pellet gun would be real lucky. Even with a .22LR that is a long shot. 30 to 35 yards is a common range for squirrel hunting with a .22LR.

Harleyhog...........There are scopes made special for air rifles. Any other scope can't handle the 2 way recoil of a air rifle. I've heard of cases where they shook the crosshairs apart.

SuperXJeff is correct about some of the air rifles. There are some that are more powerful and accurate than a .22LR. Lot higher price range also. LOL

Bill

20. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

RWS makes CB cap ammo for .22 rimfire rifles that duplicates the ballistics of their .22 air rifle. Works very well. 17 grain "pellet" at 1000fps. I use it in my Ruger 77/22. Sounds like an air rifle. Shoots like an air rifle. Plus you can use a regular scope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.