1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T PB for .45 acp?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I usually use WST for 200 grain LCSW, but I'm running out of WST and want to load some 230 grain FMJ. I've got plenty of PB around, and was wondering if anybody uses it for your .45 acp loads. Do you like it? Burn clean with the lower pressure? Thanks for any info, Wayne

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I never used it for handgun loads but I loaded a ton of it for trap and games over the years. I only quit because of cost. It is a great powder

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Have you spent a few seconds going to the website??? i just took a peak there.. Looks like its in a good range for 45 ACP.. Should be a soft shooter..Looks like a suitable powder to me..

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lou, I've used it for years for my handicap loads, thats why I've got plenty of it. Your right, great powder.

PBB, I was on Hodgdon's web site. Looks like it will work fine, I've just never used it for handgun loads. Wayne

5. locdoc

locdoc Member

Hope it formats OK. From the Hodgdon site
    Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure

230 GR. HDY FMJ FP IMR PB .451" 1.200" 4.5 709 12,200 CUP 5.0 807 16,500 CUP

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

6. locdoc

locdoc Member

Well thet sucked............

Try the above link and work your way through it by choosing:

* LOAD TYPE = pistol

* CARTRIDGE = 45ACP

* GET DATA

* select PB from the 'powder' selection window

That should do 'er

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

7. BBob

BBob TS Member

I have two girls and love them. Mocha is the Choc and 15yrs old this month. Lotty is a 3 1/2yr old Field trials drop out. She is a duck hunter supreme!
    [​IMG]
    Bill

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Never used it for 230s but it was a real sweet load with the old 155 swcs I found a few years back. Load was right on the four lb. can...around 5.4 with the 155 for about 1100 or so f/s and didn't seem hot at all. Again..that was with a light bullet. This would be way too much for a 130.

Most trap powders have the same burn rate as more commonly labeled pistol powders. Clays is somewhere around the rate of Red Dot or Bullseye..the old Hercules books even had Bullseye loads for trap in 12 ga.

Don't rely on what is written on these pages for data..always go to the manuals or to the website of the powder co. Memories fail, fingers flail, and ingredients and measurements get garbled.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a commercial loader, I loaded an 8 lb keg the senior partner bought for me to use. I advised him not to buy any more for the business.

It is much better in the shotgun than in the pistol.

Clean, but SLOW, with high pressure in a 45 230 gr Hard Ball load. Save it for the shotgun.

10. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Works fine. Little smokey for indoor range use.

jim brown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.