1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: PayPal - What type of fees???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pullbangloss, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Looking at selling some items on eBay and I see a lot of people accept PayPal. I'm wondering if anyone has used PayPal before and if so what type of fee's would I run into as a seller? Everything I see says free but I think I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt Ski

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

it is not free but a great way to sell. It is very safe and convenient. Just add the cost to your item price before you list. Go to Paypal.com and see the fees

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

If it is gun related in many cases PayPal will not honor the transaction. They are very anti-gun. Ed

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Paypal is free if you accept cash balances from a Paypal account, e-checks or bank transfers ONLY. Paypal charges a modest fee to business or premier sellers who accept credit card payments.

I've never had Paypal deny a payment for any goods remotely related to firearm accessories.

Jay Spitz

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

PayPal cost less than driving to the bank or post office, I have mine set up to a dedicated savings account savings account. Money is deposited I take it out if needed so easy. Others I know use the Paypal Debit card. Money made goes onto card then used at will. I may even change over to that to use for gas. Also can be used out side of ebay for private transfer/sales with nothing more than a email adress.

6. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

There are alot of myths out there about Paypal. First myth for instance is what was mentioned above about $5,000.00 purchase. They will accept it. The only thing is UNLESS you are Verified you can only take $500.00 a month out of your account. Being verified only means that you have done all security measures and supplied your SSN number. It is safe and secure. I sold a reloader off of here and the buyer used PayPal. He paid, and it shipped next day - that simple. I have an Ebay Store and lots of people use PayPal. I love it. By the way, check out my Ebay Store. I have reloaders, gun grease, wads, etc.
    Store name: WoodsonEnt

Matt Woodson - Woodson Enterprises

7. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Using pay pal with ebay will end up costing you 15-20% of your transaction amount. It used to be relatively cheap - now it's not. You can have 100 good transactions with pay pal but get one bad one, and you'll wish you never heard of them. Part of your acceptance of the 'terms of use' is you give up your rights in a dispute COMPLETELY. PERIOD. If you and a seller (or buyer) have a dispute, pay pal decides the outcome - and it's whatever will cost THEM the least; no matter who's right. Pay pal will issue a refund to a buyer based on THEIR story, will take the money out of your account weather you authorize it or not, and then send you to collections.

Check out the URL above. Also:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/
    http://www.paypalwarning.com/

8. richrob

richrob TS Member

15-20%??? where are you getting your info? I have a business acct. to take credit cards and they charge a $0.30 transaction fee and 2.9% of the value.

So for your first $100 recived its $3.20 and $2.90 for ever $100 there after.

Hardly the 15-20% stated above.

Also, I have been on both sides of a disputed transaction, in both cases I clearly stated the facts backed by my records of payment and shipment and I was awarded my money by the next morning.

-Rich

9. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Ebay listing fee + final value fee + pay pal fees.

BTW, business accounts are charged less than the average dweeb accounts.

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

if you are going to have a Pay Pal account get a card just for that and have a set limit i had the premier account but dropped it because of the fees you can live with the $500 limit just dont go over i have 3 accounts so i can bid up stuff i sell on ebay rick

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have used Paypal for years - no problems. I like the card because when I sell something small I can just use the money at the pump or wherever I want. If I have an excess amount in there I simply do a transfer to my bank account and it only takes a day or two. When you sell or buy something it is quick just like if you were able to take a credit card.

12. William681

William681 Member

Another excellent reason not to use E-bay

"if you are going to have a Pay Pal account get a card just for that and have a set limit i had the premier account but dropped it because of the fees you can live with the $500 limit just dont go over i have 3 accounts so i can bid up stuff i sell on ebay rick"

Noun 1. shill - a decoy who acts as an enthusiastic customer in order to stimulate the participation of others
    decoy, steerer - a beguiler who leads someone into danger (usually as part of a plot)

Verb 1. shill - act as a shill; "The shill bid for the expensive reloader during the auction in order to drive the price up"
    deceive, delude, lead on - be false to; be dishonest with

I beleive the practice is against E-bay policy.

Bill

13. DJM

DJM Member

Bill - Good one!

14. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

If you don't believe PayPal costs 15-20%, you simply haven't done the math. I got burned once, never again.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I just got involved in dispute with a vendor for $1000 over two transactions. It took me 30 days to get it resolved, but because I also used a credit card transfer, the credit card company would've allowed me to chargeback the transaction as well.

Anyway... Paypal resolved the issue and I got a complete refund - sure it took 30 days, but they ask both sides to participate in the dispute - it took time.

Jay

16. richrob

richrob TS Member

If you look at my post, I did do the math....

-Rich

17. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

So, RickS1... Now that you're admitted to dishonest behavior on eBay, perhaps you would be willing to share your eBay ID with us so we can be sure to avoid your auctions.

18. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Paypal has been good to me. Yes they charge a fee for accepting credit cards on your behalf, but when you use the paypal debit card to charge purchases, they also kick you back 1.5 percent. So every purchase pays you back. Easiest way to sell or send money.

Luvn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.