1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/t Painting old metal shop help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Pipe Layer, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

I have a shop behind my house that is approx. 25 years old. The metal is in great shape but is fayed and if you touch it will come off like chalk . I guess it is oxidised? How is the best way to clean this and paint so it will not peal off?It is brown in color.Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry Dean

2. Pipe Layer

rogerd,

Thank you

Terry

3. TC

TC TS Member

Roger, can you use latex over an oil based primer? Always thought you had to use oil with oil and latex with latex but wasn't sure. Tony

4. Pipe Layer

Is it best to spray this on or roll on?

Terry

5. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

first of all i have been doing this for 33yrs
    1st power wash using house wash and a good pressure washer not a cheap homowner
    they spot prime only rusted areas with redoxide primer in a spray can
    then spray 2coats of Sherwin williams metallatex or Bm moorlastic and your good for 10 years plus

6. letts

letts TS Member

I painted a galv. metal roof years ago with SW metal latex, Great paint looked good 10 years later. Oh yes we spot primed the rusty spots using a brush to work the primer into the pores of the metal created by the rust, we also cleaned the metal as per SW recomendations. The prep is the importain part if you want the paint to last. I once went to a short painting school at the U of Rolla in MO, a paint chemist said that the system in use in California to paint large oil storage tanks was oil based paint 1st and then latex to protect the oil from the sun. I guess that means latex over oil is a good thing.

Letts

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I believe you can put latex over oil but not the other way around.

8. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Before you paint use mineral spirits to wipe down the old chalk off the siding. Dan

9. Pipe Layer

Thanks for the help.I don't have any rust or bare spots.Just fayed,chalky dull paint.

Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.