1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Pacific Coast Highway

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chessney, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chessney

chessney TS Member

I just finished watching a special about the Pacific Coast Highway. I live on the east coast and just the idea of driving from Mexico to Oregan on this road is a "must do before you die thing" The views must be out of this world! Has anyone done the trip? I'm thinking at least 2 weeks would do it. Too many places to stop on the way for 1 week!! Ziggy

2. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

When you get to Astoria Oregon (check your spelling) go across the bridge and go to Washington then to Canada. AAA has all the maps and info.

Friends from your neck of the woods are impressed with this trip. The Indians are now friendly and will to let you play their slot machines.

3. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

3 times now, the last 2 on a harley, the last time was last september LA to the golden gate, it is a great ride and one I will probley do again.

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

As Big Heap says, it is Oregon, not Oregan. My brother-in-law and two cousins have biked (pedal, not motor) from Astoria down to the Golden Gate. They did the Oregon stretch one September, the California stretch the next. I've driven the whole stretch from Astoria to Ensenada at one time or another, and have also been on the Olympic Peninsula stretch in WA. I'd suggest doing it other than in the summer time - US 101 in Oregon from Newport north can be a real traffic mess between Memorial Day and Labor Day, with lots of motor homes and not many places to pass. Much of the coast is very beautiful, although some is quite commercialized.

5. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Recently drove from Astoria,OR down to Frisco, it was a beautiful trip, great scenery and a nice drive. Stayed at some hotels right on the ocean with a great view, some pretty reasonable too. Nice restaurants with the same view also! A few years ago did the same drive from above LA to Frisco, also a real nice drive. Make sure you stop at Hearst's Castle! Did both in a nice rental car but would LOVE to do it in a sports car I left on the east coast. Some great windy roads right above the ocean! A really nice drive! Did both trips during the winter with traffic not that bad at all.

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yes, it's a beautiful drive!!!!

I've driven on it a couple of different times. I've been from Long Beach to a couple of hundred miles north of San Fransico. First time I did it was 30 years ago and the last time was 3 years ago. I was expecting traffic to be horrible but it wasn't that bad.

Rent a sports car and have a blast!

7. Loyac

Loyac Member

Typical early morning view... John

8. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski TS Member

San Diego to San Francisco and it was great. I'd actually would have liked to continue to Alaska but ran out of time and money (and could not afford another divorce).

9. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Many great ways to do this trip.

By motorcycle, convertible, small to mid-size motorhome, or what ever makes you happy.

The trip is worth doing many times. The coast of the Pacific Ocean states is awesome. Take plenty of film or discs to tranfer images onto with your computer.
    Many great places to camp on the beach when you get north of San Francisco and tons of places in Oregon and Washington.

My favorite campground is on the coast in Florence, Oregon. But I'm sure you'll find one that will blow you away.

Beautiful country all along the coastline. HHMMMMMmmmmm maybe it's time for a nice long trip. Take as much time as you can to do the trip. Don't rush thru it. Just enjoy it. Once your north of Los Angeles.

Phil

10. arms1938

arms1938 TS Member

Great Trip, I have gone from San Diego to Washingtion. Went to High School in Laguna Beach on 101 then lived in Topanga Cyn from 66 to 77 just off 101, now live I Arcata Ca in the Redwoods just 100 miles so of the Oregon border. I never get tired of traveling this wonderful coast.

4 trap clubs in 100 miles from here 3 on the coast from Eureka to Crescent City. If you haven't seen the Redwoods make a trip, you will never see anything greater.

Mike

11. TigerMyrtle

TigerMyrtle Member

My two tips for making the trip: 1) Travel from North to South as you will always be on the ocean side of the highway. 2) Travel as soon as the sun comes up to get the driving done when the motorhomes are not out yet. Summer travel and mid-day travel is the pitts since the motorhomes poke along and there are times you can't see around them. Sometimes places to pass are not available which makes for a stressful time.

My $.02
    Eric Schmidt

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

tigermyrtle, going from North to South (which I have did) presents a problem when you get older and scared. You're closer to the cliffs!!! <lol>

Anymore I would prefer to have that extra lane between me and the cliff and the ocean 500 feet below.!!

I wonder if you can rent a Mustang GT from Hertz in LA and drop it off in Seattle?

30 plus years ago when I first drove Coast highway 1, I swore I was going to come back in a Corvettee or some sports car and drive that highway again. One of these days.

13. straffer

straffer TS Member

I just like to say that if you do the pacific coast highway do it from top down Washington to mexico because there are several places that you can see straight dropoff, so much better. In the right lane your much closer to cliffs and ocean Did it on my moteorcycle and it was awsome, west California is very barren.Mount Lassen Area very nice .Just try not to spend much money in the gunhating state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.