1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

O/T outboard motor help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fcd67, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fcd67

fcd67 Member

I got a '74 15HP Johnson from my father in law. I can't get it started. I have fresh fuel, checked the spark. Not sure how strong of a spark it should have but one was there. I am not real knowledgeable when it comes to motors. I am looking for some easy tests to find out my problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Sean
  2. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

Ondoo the plug and put it back in the cable make sure the plug always touche the motor and crank you sloud see a spark.Dont forget to put the foot in water so you wont damage the whater-pump.
    A litel gas in the motor by the spark-plug holl might hlep?
    Pierre
  3. halfmile

halfmile Active Member

Take the cover off the motor and remove the sediment bowl from the carb. Dump it out, as it most likely has water in it.

If this is the model with the double line from the tank, make sure the pump on the tank works and is pressurising the system. IF not, make sure squeezing the bulb fills the sediment bowl. If not, replace the needle and seat, about 6 bucks for the last one I bought.

Now take out the plugs (new ones might be cool), open the throttle and whirl the starter vigorously a few times. then put it back together, with a teeny squirt of starting fluid in each plug hole.

It should fire. Then pull a couple more times, if no fire use the starting fluid again, this time in the air induction housing.

I always start my old Evinrude 10 horse in a barrel each spring and run it for a while, several times. After that it starts first pull all summer.

Good luck.

HM
  4. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Pierre has it right. Check for spark first. I have a similar 1976 Johnson outboard. It always started with three or four pulls. After sitting idle for a couple of years I couldn't get it started. After verifying that I had spark I gave it a quick short "shot" of starting fluid and it fired right up. I replaced the fuel pump and it has run flawlessly since then. The fuel pump replacement was easy and relatively inexpensive. I was at Otter Creek Reservior in Utah over last Memorial Day weekend. After a morning of fishing I was preparing to load my boat on the trailer and noticed a fella with his wife and a "boat load" of kids all ready to go fishing. However their Honda outboard refused to start. They all took turns trying to pull start the engine to the point that their arms were giving out. I offered my help but they politely said they were alright. After loading my boat and cleaning my fish I saw that they were still struggling with their motor. I walked over and gave them a can of starting fluid. After a quick "shot" the motor started on the first pull. They were amazed that it started so quickly. I told them to keep the can of starting fluid in case they needed it the rest of the weekend. I ran into them again at the end of the holiday. They gave me the can of starting fluid back and said the motor ran great the rest of the weekend and had saved their holiday.

Gus in Las Vegas
  5. Tron

Tron Active Member

These were great motors. Very compact and reliable. One problem I see a lot is when people put the motors away with gas in the carb and lines. Also, they forget to drain the line and primer bulb from the tank before storage. More than likely a good carb cleaning and line flush is all you may need.

Here is a 73' that I'm working on right now. This guy left the motor on a boat in the river and in the water. The water froze inside the head and cracked it. I just purchased a head on Ebay for $40 and it will be good to go. Easy motors to work on and engineered very well.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=DSCN1026.jpg" target="_blank"> DSCN1026.jpg </a>
  6. copper

copper Member

Look at fly wheel they are keyed some times key gets groved or broken throws out of time will not start, also some coils will fail under compression but fire with plug out .
  7. copper

copper Member

also if has kill switch check it have seen them go bad
  8. ken1okie

ken1okie Member

Careful with the starting fluid. It can wash the cylinder walls clean and you will end up with stuck pistons. A little is a lot!
  9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Any small motor of any kind that won't start,always put in a new spark plug. Outboards,weed eaters,lawn mowers,chain saws,small ATV,etc. This has worked for me about 75% of the time if all else is good. And yes,a small shot of starting fluid works wonder. Don't use too much & fill the cylinder & bend the rod.
  10. halfmile

halfmile Active Member

I suppose there is a mentality out there that will spray a continual wad of ether into an engine.

These are the same guys that put straight gas into my chain saw when I borrowed it to them.

NO brains, no headaches, no large aspirin bills.

HM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.