1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Outboard Motor 15.5 volt output?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I installed a AM/FM CD Player in my boat and it plays fine off the battery but when the outboard is running it cuts off and on with a popping sound. After checking, my motor is putting out 15.5 volts and Marine technician advises that is normal. What can I get to control the voltage(limiter) going to my stereo? I seem to remember seeing something at radio shack but can't remember what it was. Jackie B.

2. Shooting Jack

I think that the voltage regulator on a car engine is different than a boat motor although it is the same principle. Boat engines and lawn mowers are the same type and voltage varies with the rpms of the engine. Jackie B.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

See if you can get a noise suppressor kti for that motor. Usually a 50 v eloctrolytic Prolly 10 uf or so to ground from the ignition coil (on olderones) should do it. Sounds to me like ign pulses getting into your battery feed.

You could try the cap on the player hot wire.

Google RFI

HM

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Find a geek type friend. Radio Shack sells and integrated circuit voltage regulator that needs two or three simple parts to be adjustable, but it is not a "drop in" part. It will carry enough current for your radio. Don't qoute me, but I think it is a LM317, about $4.00. I seem to remember the wiring schematic was printed on the back of the pack. I used it to drop down to 9 volts for a small shortwave radio.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Halfmile is on the right track here.

You want a noise suppressor (filter) for the unit. This is basically a capacitor that goes into the power supply line of the stereo.
    Radio shack should have it.

In addition you'll want to run wires as directly to and from the battery or master power switch as is possible (in other words keep it away from engine/ignition pathways).

This alone MIGHT not be enough - especially in a boat.

If not, you can buy in-line filters that plug into the speaker wires leading from the radio to each speaker (again, Radio Shack should carry it).

6. Shooting Jack

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and had a noise suppressor left over from an old toyota 4x4 so will give it a try. Thanks again Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.