1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T OUTBOARD BREAK IN??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tron, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

OK, I just got a new Mercury 15 hp 4 stroke. What's the "proper" way to break it in?? Anyone know??

Tron

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Loan it to me for a year

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Is this a test or do you want an opinion? Didn't it come with an owner's manual. Is it 'hot' Can't you read?

Just thought I'd rise to the bait. Merry Christmas.

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

What's wrong with checking the owners manual to see what the factory recomends. Man what a bozo.

Jim

5. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Wide open,, like you're going to use it. It's the manly thing to do. LOL.

6. Tron

Yeah, it came with an owner's manual (Duh), but I don't want to read it, nor do I want to apply common sense. The pull cord seems a bit stiff...will this get better with time or should I take a die grinder to the cord feed hole to relieve it a bit?? I don't want it to prematurely wear you know.

Tron

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I doubt you have to break in at all, tron. I'm sure there is a latch that - once snapped open - will allow you to lift off the motor cover without damaging anything.

I hope this helps,

Neil

8. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Read the manual, dude.
    Sheeeezze....

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Tron:

Read the manual or talk to a person in the dealer’s maintenance department. You may be able to run this engine wide open from the beginning but I would not do that.

I purchased a Mariner (Mercury) 150 HP new in 1987 and have used the same engine to date without a problem. It will push my 18' Stratos over 65 MPH but I rarely exceed 45 MPH.

I would make sure that the motor has the correct amount of oil in the oil system and that you have the proper grade of fuel in the fuel tank. I always run the highest octane I can find in a 2 cycle outboard engine. Your 4 cycle may be different.

I would take the motor on a “shake down” trip before any serious use.

First, start the engine and let it idle for at least 5 minutes to warm up and properly distribute the oil to the bearings.

Next, I would run the motor for at least one half hour at low speed before going to more than half throttle. You are probably in a 14 or so foot boat so just run around the marina without bringing the boat up on plane. Avoid running for long at any steady RPM. Just putter around changing speeds from low to medium throttle.

After about one half hour, bring the boat up on plane and throttle back to just enough RPM to keep the boat on plane. Putter around on plane for another one half hour varying the speed up to 75% or so of throttle. After the one hall hour is completed, then you can bring the engine up to full RPM and run it there for a few minutes.

For the first 10 hours or so of general use, I would avoid running the engine wide open for more than a few minutes. I would also not run at a constant RPM for more than 5 minutes. It may be a little bit of a pain but run at less than full throttle and simply change the RPM a little every few minutes.

Once broken in, small engines in this class are often run at full throttle for extended periods of time, especially if used on a boat rated for higher horse power. I don’t like to run an outboard engine at full throttle but, with small engines, you often have no choice.

Good luck with your new engine.

P.S. I have to ask if this engine is to be used to ferry you from the dock to the larger boat that I frequently see in your posts.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Tron, You should have bought the new Evenrude E-Tec motor. No break-en and no service for 300 hours. If I were you I would take it back and buy the Evenrude. SPIT. Break-em all. Jeff

11. nicky

nicky Member

Tron, the lake must be frozen over and you're into the Absolute again aren't you ?????????, Have a great holiday, Kevin

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Walleyes on the Detriot River would be a good start.

13. Tron

Thanks Niel and the others, some great advise here. I have a friend that says that you should run the engine for the first 10 hours with the choke half on and to leave the engine cover off...says the engine will last a lot longer and get better fuel economy.

On another note, if I move the tiller handle to the right, will my boat go to the right??

This break in period stuff can be pretty confusing.

Tron

14. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Tron, Do you still have the box and packing material that came with the engine? You do, Well pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the dealer. your just not intellectually ready for an outboard yet.

Jim :)

15. Neil Winston

Lit, them Mizzeri boats sure must handle funny. You guys aren't in the Southern Hemisphere, are you?

Neil

16. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

1/2 choke??? whats he want to buy whats left of it from you??. Putting to much fuel into an engine is never good. You get to much fuel and you run the risk of filling the crankcase with gas and washing oil from the bearings and heating everything up. not a good scenario. It's a 4 stroke I wouldnt worry about breakin to much.. Kinda like anything else, dont run it wide open for long strecths and vary the throttle for the first few hours. Like the one guy said break it in like your going to use it, thats what we did when I used to race motocross and it worked great, but that was a 2 stroke and a long time ago.

17. Tron

Neil, I think that what the Lit is saying is that if I move the handle to the right, the boats nose will move accordingly at 13 yards...so, for every 1" of tiller movement to_the_right, the boat will go to the right about 4". No doubt it will move a lot more at 35 yards.

Lit, but my friend says that I should only practice with the motor on full choke and that I'm not ready for that quite yet. He's won some trophies, so I had better listen to everything that he says.

Yes Jim, I keep the boxes for everything that I own. My friend says that it will add to the resale value of this engine when it's time to sell it. He keeps saying that once I become a good boater, I WILL want a better outboard. This box measures 3'x3'x6' and I figure that maybe I can keep some of my other boxes in this one somewhere.

Thanks guys.

Tron

18. Neil Winston

Tron, if that's the way you steer, I hope we never meet in a channel.

Neil

19. Tron

OH and Kelly, thanks for your advice, but this guy really knows his stuff. In this picture, I'm showing a fellow boater how to rig it so the choke stays on all of the time, like my buddy showed me. "Full choke, Full throttle, Ten hours" and I sent the happy fisherman on his way.

Tron

20. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Not trying to arguing with you, but if was supposed to be run like that, they would have put it in the manual. Adding to much fuel and to much heat is not a good thing on motors.You gotta remeber when your adding that much fuel it acts as a solvent taking away lube, not a good thing, especially on a new motor. Call 5 shops tommorow and see what they tell you, I dont think you'll like the answer. To big of an investment to take a chance hurting. where was that picture from?? That is some pretty country !!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.