1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Optima Batteries

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Trap4two, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap4two

Trap4two TS Member

Any opinions on any of the three optima batteries. Thanks in advance Mike.

2. front242

front242 Member

I'm on my second set in my Ford Diesel. I had the Red Tops from Costco and got almost 6 years out of them. I couldn't find the right size red tops the second time around at Costco so I went to Sam's club and got the Blue Top Starting battery (rated same exactly as the Red top I needed). They are very nice batteries but are a little pricey. One thing I noticed is that when they get tired, they're basically done. I noticed for about two weeks that they were getting tired. Slower turnover on start. Then dead. no Charging would help. just done and time for new ones. I have a winch and other power sucking things on my truck and they work great. I also have the yellow tops in my 5th wheel and had them in my camper before that. They work great for that too. They last noticeably longer than a regular battery when you're dry camping.

F242
    Tim

3. atashooter

atashooter Member

I have 2 Yellowtops in my '06 Duramax. Plenty - O - Power. Last Red top I owned outlasted 3 vehicles and was in the 4th vehicle I sold. Good Stuff !!

4. Bill Renner

Bill Renner TS Member

I bought an Optima Red Top for my truck. It lasted about 60 days and was dead. Took it back and got another Red Top. The second Red Top lasted for about 30 days and was dead. Returned it and got a full refund.

I know most people swear by the Optima line. My luck was so bad with them all I could do was swear at them.

As with any product, YMMV.

5. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Got them in my boat for the trolling motor and the main battery ... they give me considerably longer use than the conventional ones I used to have.

Bob Schultz

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've have one in my 1971 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser now for a few years. And it's been well abused. I have a slow system drain, and if my Land cruiser isn't turned over once a week, then battery will die. I finally installed a kill switch, but until then, the battery was constantly being drained flat. I'm amazed the Optima is still going strong. A regular battery would have failed long ago from that abuse.<br>
    <br>
    At some point when I get a winch mounted I'll install a yellow Optima for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.