1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Opinions About Brandy Spirits

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Don Steele, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Courvoisier Cognac VSOP...
    EXCELLENT representative product, quite reasonably priced for the quality level you get.

2. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

You will not go wrong with B & B. Made by Benedictine Monks....around $32. but worth it !

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Brandy is distilled wine. It is good after a hearty meal undiluted in a snifter or neat in a small glass. It is a very smooth drink.

SBray, Cognac is a brandy distilled from wine made from grapes grown in the Cognac region of France. By law, only spirits distilled from grapes from the Cognac region of France can be called Cognac.

Brandy, especially good cognac can be expensive.

Being somewhat frugal, I like Paul Mason “Grande Amber” California Brandy and am having a shot right now as I type this in honor of this post.

The better brandies come from France, from the Cognac region, and are called Cognac.

To me, these are a little pricy and they are to be enjoyed slowly.
    My favorite cognac is Martel, named for Charles “The Hammer” Martel. Courvoisier and Hennessy are also excellent.

Brandy may not warm the body but it does warm the soul.

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I don't believe in spirits!

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Hipshot 3:

If you consume enough brandy, you will see spirits and thus become a true believer.

I seem to metabolize brandy much faster than any other spirit. It is very good from a pocket flask on a cold winter day. It may not warm the body but it makes your soul feel liberated.

Some years ago, I was given a liter flask of an Abyssinian Brandy. It came in a unique clam shaped bottle that included a little shot glass under the cap. It was probably more of liquor as it had honey and special spices mixed in the brandy. Boy was it good.

As always, please consume alcohol in a responsible manner.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

From Wisconsin, the highest per capita brandy consumption state:

Masson Grande Amber is the smoothest best tasting brandy until you get up to the Courvoisier, Martell, or 3 Star.

I used to inhale a lot of E & J VSOP but the Masson is by far superior.

HM

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Courvoisier, maybe forty dollars a bottle but worth every penny! If it was good enough for Napolean it is good enough for me! Truly sipping spirits for sure. I do however remember one time during a mortar attack in Vietnam in 1967, someone showed up in the bunker with a bottle of Japanese brandy. Well that bottle did not last long at all. It always seemed that someone had the good sense to grab a bottle of something while heading to the bunker during those early morning piss calls that charlie gave us now and then.

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Steve: As halfmile states, Wisconsin consumes a lot of brandy. However, it consumes much of it in "Old Fashions" and "Manhattens". People living on other places of the earth use brandy as an after dinner drink and/or a drink to sip and savor, such as wine. One might use a good quality higher priced brandy in a Manhatten, but probably not in an Old Fashion; where you would mix it with 7-UP or sour. So, I guess the question can be broke down into 2 parts. #1. Sipping and savoring would mean one of the high quality expensive brands mentioned above. #2. Brandy used with a mix might call for a lower priced brandy such as Coronet or Korbel. (Korbel can also be sipped on the rocks; as it is a decent brandy at a decent price). Ed

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Brandy Alexander, the greatest drink ever designed for a young woman. How many did I buy for them? I don't know, many many many, and they sure do work.

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

shot410ga: Yes, Brandy Alexanders are yummy; but they are more of an after dinner drink. (And then only 1 or 2) . Heck if you feed a young woman enough of those she will gain 10#'s in a night!! LOL. Ed

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

esoxhunter: But they love them, then of course, the end result; they love me!

12. C1

C1 Member

You might want to try ASBACH. It's a German brandy that is well know in Europe but usually found only in German restaurants here in the US. They also make a candy that is pure ASBACH in a sugar shell surrounded by chocolate. It's enough to make a diabetic put himself in a comma.

Gary Riecke

13. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Tastes similar to gasoline to me.................Roger

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Roger.

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

...........Brandy was a fine girl........

16. Duck

Duck Member

school_teacher + halfmile,

I had the pleasure of sampling some Hennessy + Masson Grande Amber last night.
    I enjoyed them both, but would give the nod to the Masson!. Go figure the cheaper IMHO tasted better. I'll have to experience the Courvoiser, Martel, B+B, and ??? before I can pick a winner however!. :)

17. bgf

bgf Active Member

A sniffer of Lormin Congac ($$$) and a good cigar...ahhh...heaven.

Bernie

18. Duck

Duck Member

Bernie,

Is the Lormin brand readily available?.

19. larryjk

larryjk Member

My favorite is Remy Martin VSOP, followed by Courvoisier VSOP. It doesn't get any better than about 1/4 of a generous snifter of either after a day of trying to run down Ringneck pheasants. I'll have to get some of the German brands mentioned and give them a try.

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Duck, I just bought a 1.75 of Masson Grande Amber on sale for 12.59. I couldn't believe my good fortune. Maybe I should go get another.

It's the best dollar value out there in brandy AFIK.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.