1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Opinion Polls

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by willing, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willing

willing Member

Since we on this site seem to be a pretty good picture of the USA I'm wondering if anyone here has knowledge of how a poll of 1000 people can represent a population of 300 million? I keep reading how polls signify how the whole country feels on an issue. I tend to disagree with anything AP reports! Any statisticians here?

Bill

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The same way the exit polls during elections give a fairly accurate picture of how the public is voting. Opinion polls/focus groups are a proven scientific method of using a small sample to predict the results of a larger group. You can probably find out more in depth information on Wikipedia.com.

Eric

3. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

66 years old and have never been asked a question by any 'poll" taker. Makes me wonder who is being polled and where and when and by whom and why. Healthy disrespect for "poll results", especially from the liberal media.

4. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

The only people get polled would be the people with the "answers" they want...

Bill

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Selective locations = selective polling.

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The last I heard the exit polls as reported by the press are more often than not, incorrect. It appears to me that the media makes an attempt to influence those who cannot make a decision on their own. Jake

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

A long time ago I was dating a girl who worked for a product research company. The company surveyed people about products and did focus groups for advertising companies. Well anyway when she needed a "body" to fill a poll or partcipate in a focus group, I got the call.

Well anyway somehow I got on the list and I was being surveryed long after I departed ways with her.

These polling companies will ask the question in a way to get you to respond the way they think you should.

I got to where I would purposely lie to their questions in hopes of screwing up their polls.

8. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I actually got invited t be a galloup poll panel member. Now they send me something every month or two. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.