1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T On Star anybody ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by deadpair51, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

I just purchased a truck that has On Star available. Just wondering if it's worth activating . Anyone have any experiance with the system ? Thanks Jim

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

GM has missed out on apotential gold mine, by making it a fixed part of their cars. If they made a stand alone portable device, which could be used on boats, when you are in an area with no cell service or in other cars, they would have a real mkt. They have too small of a mkt base for people who would consider activation.

VHF on boats have a very limited range, cell phones have a very limited range if there are no towers close by.

GM, listen up.

Phil Berkowitz

3. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I had it on my Avalanche and Suburban. NEVER used it!!! The OnStar people drove me crazy about renewing once my free year was up. Never again!

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have limited experience with On Star - all of them good. The people who you talk to are very helpful and will find you a gas station, call a tow truck, etc.. If you are in a strange place it would take a lot more time trying to find help using your cell phone. I don't know if it is worth the money BUT if you used their cell phone service it might be. It is a perfect "hands-free" way to communicate from your car.

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Here is my take on this . If you have a cell phone don,t turn on the ON-STAR (YET) . Keep the ON-STAR phone number in your wallet . If you ever need to use the ON-STAR then call and turn it on .

Last week I put gas in my truck and Did find I had locket the keys in the truck . I got out the phone number called on-star on the cell bought a months service and had my doors unlocket . I was 45 miles from home going to a club to shoot It saved the day .

Same with the on-star phone service You can call anytime FROM YOUR car and buy minutes and you use them then . That way you don,t lose them over time .

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I like it.

Have had it since 2004.

Curt

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

All of the features aren't for everyone but the older I get, the more I think it is a useful item. I feel better knowing it is on my wife's new Buick. I will probably renew when the year is up. Ron

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Its nice but the phone is expensive- if a little money doesnt bother you - get it-- some of the other optional packages you have to pay for but we pay for most things now in life.

A neat feature is the unlock by calling in. If you discontinue onstar you cannot restart that feature until you are back in the vehicle.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

Whether or not you have it activated- it is active- as far as being able to determine where you were--- big time tool in crime, civil fraud and high dollar divorce actions---

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have two vehicles with OnStar and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Every month I get a vehicle report it tells me if there are any recalls or if there are any light on the dash(check engine soon)and it tells me why they are there. I have one vehicle that even tell me if the tire pressure is right.

Even if you don't activate the phone if the air bags deploy they contact you to find out if everything is OK if you are hurt or in trouble they will dispatch police and emergency personnel to your location.

If your vehicle is stolen they will assist authorities in finding your vehicles. f the police are in pursuit of your vehicle after a theft OnStar will even shut the vehicle down so the chase can no longer continue. After you report a theft OnStar will disable the vehicle to the point that if the thief shuts the vehicle off he can not restart it. Check out the above website and you can read it for yourself.

GN7777777 Says it is expensive to activate the phone. On the newer vehicle i have I purchased 150 minutes good for one year for $18.95 thats about 12.5 cents a minute if that is expensive to you fine it isn't to me. He also says,

"Whether or not you have it activated- it is active- as far as being able to determine where you were"

Not correct if it is not active the GSP isn't either.

Bob Lawless

10. Erik W

Erik W Member

I like both the OnStar & the Sat radio. Have had them since first offered; on 2 SUV's now. They are no doubt "extravegances", but the radio helps pass time with more meaningful content than am/fm. The phone works everywhere and at age 67, it provides a little extra "survival" tool as I stumble out of the grouse woods in the fall. Prefer it over cell when taking or making calls on the road.

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A neat feature is the unlock by calling in. If you discontinue onstar you cannot restart that feature until you are back in the vehicle.

Gene I did not have on-STAR activated when I got locket out . But after a call to activate the doods were unlock,t

12. 1939 gunner

1939 gunner Member

i locker my keys in my rig last sunday at gun club.called on sthey unlocked it for me.works for me.of course i'm the only onr that's done that.right?

13. franko

franko Member

My cousin's wife had a bad wreck on a low traffic country road. She was badly injured and trapped in car but was able to reach the OnStar button and help was dispatched to that remote site. She thinks OnStar saved her life.

We have it in two vehicles . . . never use the phone, but have been locked out twice . . . last time while quail hunting about 6 miles from nearest house. Seemed pretty cheap at the time.

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

My service was expired- not sure if that is what you meant alf- and they would not reactivate unless I was in the vehicle plain and simple- I talked to several people and my wife did also== in fact they cant get a signal as I understand unless you are in the vehicle and activate it-- Alf99 I would suggest that you might not have had the phone activated but you did have the basic service paid for and operational at the time they let you back in.

Now Bob lawless--- buddy you are wrong- GPS does work= it just doesnt work for you-law enforcement- lawyers - probably other governmental officials can find you if you have onstar- many court cases dealing with that.

Now maybe my service was expired for so long that they didn thave my PIN on record-- and wouldnt start set it up again unless someone was in the vehicle ( this is a security feature I think or maybe it is a technology issue)

regards from Iowa

Gene

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well Geno just because you are such a big time Lawyer and a self appointed Genius. Their number is 1-888 OnStar(466.7827)you call them a tell them that there service is on when they tell others that you must be a subscriber to receive their service.

Lets see how smart you really are put up or shut up big mouth.

Bob Lawless

16. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear ONSTAR LOVERS,
    My 2003 Tahoe has ONSTAR but an ANALOG system. In order to update to the new DIGITAL system requires a module change for approx. $600.00. I have decided to buy more lead and powder. Cell phone keeps me in touch with AAA which also gives great discounts on Hotel Rooms. Another electronic devise (Onstar) & tire pressure monitors that I don't need.
    Jet Boat Bill

17. Scott Morris

Scott Morris TS Member

Love my On Star. Gives me a little more added security. Wife has used it more than a time or two for locked doors, directions, or just a phone call when the cell didn't have service. Great product & great truck.

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Have it on car and truck. Don't leave home without. Wife won't have a car without, gives her a great comfort level of course, she gets lost easy. Try talking to your cell phone when you can't find someplace and the OnStar person is checking phone books and actually calls the place to find out where they are. One of your dash lights come on and you don't know if it's safe to continue driving, simply call and they do a dianostics check on the move and tell you what the problem is. What do you do when you forget your cell phone, of course the perfect people never forget. Cell phones don't work everywhere, OnStar does.

Finally call your car Insurance agent and get a discount on your car insurance because you have anti theft vehicle protection and a vehicle recovery device on board.

Don

19. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

I have OnStar in all of my vehicles.

What most people don't know is, the phone isn't really as expensive as you think. If you have a Verizon Wireless account (it may work with other providers, too), you can use your OnStar phone through them. It costs you $10.00 per month to have a phone number with Verizon Wireless and the calls made to and from your OnStar are billed to your account's primary cell phone number at the same rates you have established with Verizon Wireless for your primary phone. Your phone no longer has anything, whatsoever, to do with OnStar, other than the fact that you must have an active OnStar account for your vehicle. I use my OnStar phone exclusively while I am driving, letting any calls that come to my hand-held cell phone go to voicemail. When I get my Verizon Wireless bill, I see the breakdown for all of the cell phones on my account; my primary number shows its charges and calls, and the OnStar number shows its $10.00 charge and its calls which are billed along with the primary number. If you are interested in this, you should first speak with Verizon Wireless to get the details because the people at OnStar seem clueless about how this works – they may not want you to know you can do this. I can't remember if I even had to deal with OnStar at all – maybe Verizon Wireless took care of that part. But I can tell you that when I did speak to OnStar about it once, they had no idea what I was talking about.

The other great thing about OnStar is the unlock feature. I have used it a few times on each vehicle I own. One time I did what a previous poster mentioned: I hadn't renewed my OnStar on one truck since I hardly ever used it, and one day, I drove a few hundred miles to a farm in PA for a tower shoot. When I got there, I shut the door, went into the farmhouse to sign up and pay, then came back out to get all of my gear ready only to find I had locked my keys in the truck. I called OnStar, renewed my account with a credit card, and was in my truck within five minutes. What a relief!

Although I never get lost and have never needed OnStar to tell me where I was, I have always wanted to drive way out onto a frozen lake, push my OnStar button and ask them if they know where I am, and have them give me directions on how to get out of where I am.

This reminded me of another feature of OnStar that my wife used once: She went to a concert with my daughter and her friends in Richmond, VA some years ago. She had never been to Richmond before and had to park on a street several blocks away from the concert hall. When the concert was over, she couldn't find her car. She called OnStar from her cell phone and told them which intersection she was standing at and they walked her to her car from there. When she was getting near to her car, OnStar made the car's horn blow and lights flash.

OnStar can give a person a little sense of security. I think it's great.

Bruce

20. zinger

zinger Member

I had used hubby's truck to transport my friend's dead Rotweiller twenty miles to her sister's farm for burial. It was up on a hillside out in the pasture where I parked while they were digging the hole. When I got out with the driver door on the upside, I must've hit the door lock while shutting the door!
    Anyway, here I am, dead 170lb dead dog in back, in the dark up on a hill at night with no way to contact Bruce to bring me a key. Called OnStar and explained the situation. The lady asked me for Bruce's secret Pin number! Heck, I didn't know it. She then asked me how long it had been since the truck was last running, so I told her about 45min. She said walk up the hill and the truck should be unlocked. From that point on I make sure we pay for the yearly service!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.