1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Olympics

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leadhead358, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Is it just me or has a good percentage of the olympics become professional atheletes that are in competition. I thought the olympics was to be amature atheletes. Does the US Olympic teams get money to travel or do the millionaires playing pay their own ways, IE mens basketball, womens basketball, tennis. Are there any US tax dollars funding these millionaires to compete. When I was growing up the atheletes that won the olympics turned pro after the olympics.

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys.... We had it the other way for year and the other countries were paying their people> Remember the Russian Hockey team.

We now send the best athletes and it has raised the bar. The Dream Team got beat in basketball;l 4 years ago by Argentina as I recall.

TB

3. tachyon

tachyon Member

In the 1970's rules about "amateurism" were dropped. Each sport could determine whether they would allow professional athletes to compete. Each country has a "National Governing Body" for a specific olympic sport. The National Governing Body for shooting in the United States is USA Shooting.

Baseball was "amateur" only until 2004 or so. The NGB for baseball in the United States is
    USA Baseball. The current roster is a mix of minor league players and one player who played for a college team this spring (Stephen Strasburg from San Diego State). Obviously the definition of amateur depended on the country. Cuban baseball players made alot of money but were "amateur" for Olympic purposes.

Each country has their own rules and procedures. In China girls can be taken from their parents and put into training for gymnastics at 3 or 4 years old. Their age also depends on the requirements for participation. He Kexin was listed as being 13 years old in press reports, news releases, official Chinese web sites and on entry forms for various competitions just 9-10 months ago. A month before the Olympics her age changed to 16 years old. She is not the only gymnast from China whose age is questionable. I suspect nothing will be done.

4. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I wish they would have shown more of the shooting events. Everytime I turned the Olympics on they were showing women's beach volleyball.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Hey, I'll look at Kerri Walsh's ass over shooting any day...

6. oz

oz Active Member

the small amount of shooting we saw was excellent coverage. they really show us how it should be done (judging and execution) I wish we could have seen more. at least I got to see Kim Rhode win the silver in skeet. next time we will probably have to watch 20 hours of olympic bowling and the shooting sports will be gone thanks to the UN. oz

7. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

There was a lot of shooting on! It was on NBClympics.com One video was 32 minutes and one other was something like 64 minutes long that I looked at. They had both singles and doubles on, both men and women. Even skeet. Lots of people were on here talking about it. All you had to do was watch it any time you wanted to! AND NO COMMERCIALS!

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys... We had the best TV Coverage we ever had. I saw the mens Trap Final on Sunday Afternoon on one of the NBC Cable Channels. If you did not see the final its your fault. Here is a comment from the NSSF email on this subject...

The shooting events also received a fair amount of air time this year. "At the Beijing Olympics, the shooting sports received more network coverage than ever before," said Shari LeGate, NBC's shooting sports analyst. "Every final was streamed live on the NBC Olympic Web site. Women's air rifle and men's trap were broadcast on affiliate stations, along with interviews and highlights of other disciplines. The shooting sports have gained recognition in network television as being broadcast worthy."

So send a not of thanks to NBC...

TB