1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/t old diesel fuel

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BZ-99, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BZ-99

BZ-99 TS Member

Will diesel fuel stored in a 55 gallon drum still be good after 15 years?

2. d endicott

d endicott Member

It may have an algae build up... I would say NO

3. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Look at propane (LP). I just used some left on a farm I bought 20 years ago. By the markings on the tank we figured it was at least 35 years old. Good motor fuel, heat, etc.

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

It really depends on a number of factors, and what your intended use is for it now?

IF the drum was sealed when fresh and the fuel had been treated with one of the diesel biocides and not stored in extreme cold, it may be salvageable. Check the insides of the drum for slime and sludge and, if possible, drain (from the bottom) to remove all separated water.

I've used Aviation fuel stored in just this fashion that was sitting in the tropics for 6 years. We treated the drums with Biobor JF upon opening and double filtered as it was pumped, but we didn't have any problems with it.

We ran small turbine generators with it, I don't think any of us would have wanted to fly with it. But, I never heard that it did any harm to the generators.

There may even be better products out there now to help you recover it? Cost considerations also enter the factors.

Kip

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It can be cleaned or polished. Large diesel boats that stay moored a lot have their fuel polished once a year.

6. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I wouldn't use it. Can cause algae and mold in fuel tanks. I have know people who used old Diesel in tehri Motorhomes and they end up geetting mold in the fuel tank and eventually causes problems and have to have lines, tank etec. cleaned.
    If you use it, be sure you have lot of filters.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They must put something in off road diesel, because I have a bunch of old John Deere's that run on it and some of it is at least 10 yrs old

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I know nothing about diese fuel or engines. Why does it accumulate all this stuff? What does it mean to "polish" the fuel? Thanks

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Yip! Just soak a couple of tires in it and you'll have one dandy of a fire for your next brush/fence row clean-up.

ss

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I wouldn't use it in any of my equipement. It might work and it might not, why take a chance of clogging an injector? Fuel is cheaper than engines. If you are bent on trying it I would mix it with fresh. I was told by a mechanic the new bio diesel fuel will grow mold, in just a few months, didn't know the old stuff was prone to do it too.

If it was mine I would save it for this winter and use it in the trap clubs outside salamander heater.

Or mix it with fertlizer and have one hell of a 4th of July bangup party!LOL

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Depends a lot on what you want to use it in.......an old Cat dozer will burn about just about anything you can pour in the tank.......A new common rail Duramax would be a very bad system to try it in. Modern diesels are designed to operate with next to sterile fuel,...... turbine generators, old ships, etc. cannot be compared to current diesel technology. Some filtration systems on new diesels are in the.... single digit "Micron" range.

I'd have to be damned desperate to even consider it.

Take a sample to a fuel distributor and have it tested.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mix it with waste oil/atf and burn it in a waste oil heater for heat! It would also work in a kerosene type heater or kerosene lamps. Put poor fuel in a new high tech diesel these days and it can be costly to get it right again. Don't get caught with "Off Road" diesel in an "On Road" vehicle. Manufacturers can void warranties and the "Authorities" can give you a bad case of heartburn and empty wallet syndrome. I use Kerosene and clean diesel to soak and clean trigger assemblies with.

You might possibly filter it well and dump in some additives. It might run well or might not. Cutting it with fresh diesel and/or kero as the weather requires, might allow you to burn it up.

13. MACH4RANDY

MACH4RANDY Member

CALL ME I AM A FUEL DIST IN OKLA AND I WILL HELP YOU ON WHAT TO DO. 800-256-5017

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

As one person said save it when you have a bush pile to burn. That is your best choice.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cripes, my pickup sat mostly unused this winter and most of the spring. Didn't even use a half a tank of gas. It decomposed into crap that reminded me of shellac, and stunk like it. White smoke coming out the exhaust, it looked like a very dark amber color in the fuel filter, like a dark beer. Siphoned out about 10 gallons and replaced it with fresh gas. Truck runs fine now. Dunno what I'm going to do with 10 gallons of bad gas.

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Polishing fuel is simply pumping, fuel thru a series of ever descending fuel filters---1st 30 micron, 2nd 10 micron & final 2 micron--

Phil Berkowitz

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Brian in Oregon

If it was gas and "oxygenated" using alcohol products, it could deteriorate rather quickly. It can do damage to older vehicles as well. Seems to me that this crap has a short shelf life, besides giving you a significant reduction in fuel economy.

18. 56007

56007 TS Member

Even if the fuel has been stored in a such a way that it has not deteriorated
    15 year old diesel oil would have way too much sulfur for an engine built in the last few years. The current max is 15PPM sulpher. 15 year of fuel could be as high as 5000 ppm sulphur.

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My fuel supplier always cautioned me to never order more diesel than I could use in a year...

20. M-16

M-16 TS Member

If it is in a steel drum than no light got to it, but if it was exposed to changing temps it could of collected water and rust from the drum. If it was exposed to sunlight it would likely have alge in it. If you don't have a way to filter it before you use it save your self the hassle. New trucks you plug the filters one drum of it wouldn't save you any money plus a possiblity of much hassels. We did did up an old fuel tank at a truck stop it had fuel left in it for over ten years. Pumped it out trough a filter and my 99 7.3 went from 16 to 19 mpg sulfur and the way they crack it now it had way more power in it then todays fuel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.