1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***O.T. O.T. Washing Machine Problem O.T O.T.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bubba, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Member

Well, the wash machine quit today. Went to rinse a load an extra time like so many times before and that's when the problem came up. The machine correctly allowed the rinse water in, but did not cycle on for the rinse or spin dry. The little red light comes on the control panel, but will only allow water into the tub.

The washer is a 10+ year old Maytag top loader.

Is the problem the timer ($90.00 for a replacement part) or the motor, or something else?

Is it just time to get a new wash machine? Maybe a front loader this time?

Thanks, guys.

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Check your lid cut-off switch. Mine failed recently giving the controller a false open lid signal preventing the spin cycle.

There is a ton of info on the web that may help you fix it yourself.

Guy Babin

3. Bubba

Bubba Member

It doesn't do anything in any of the cycles, except it will allow water to come into the tub.

4. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

You have a lid switch out of it. My family owns and operates an appliance store, and this is one of the most common problems on washers. Garrett

5. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    Final Rinse: Maytag Closes
    If the Maytag Man Didn't Have Much to Do Before, Now He Will Have Nothing

Who doesn't remember the Maytag repairman?

The old television commercials featuring the Maytag appliance repairman showed a perpetually lonely older man, with nothing to do. They take us back to a different time, when kids played with Lincoln Logs and Tiddlywinks.

But today, the era is ending.

It's a sad day in Newton, Iowa, where those Maytags have been built since 1907. Today, the last Maytag factory is closing, the jobs are going away and the town that Maytag built must reinvent itself.

Just last year, the factory employed 1,000 people. And a few years ago, one of every four people in Newton worked for Maytag.

In Newton, a proud factory town of 15,000, the Maytag name is everywhere, and for more than a century it has meant nearly everything.

"We have a saying that the people who show up to work every day bleed blue. They bleed Maytag blue," Newton Mayor Chaz Allen said.

Not anymore. Last year, rival Whirlpool bought the company. It will keep the Maytag brand, but today it closed the Iowa factory. The jobs will be headed to a nonunion plant in Ohio.

"Unfortunately, the business was broken such that the company could not invest in the modernization of this particular facility," said Jeff Noel, vice president of Whirlpool.

6. Bubba

Bubba Member

So the lid switch is different from the timer?

7. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

Google Repairclinic.com

Lots of info there

8. Bubba

Bubba Member

Is the lid switch anywhere in this picture?

[​IMG]

9. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

In your washer, it could also be a fuse and check switch. The lid switch is located in your top picture, it is the black part with a single black wire and a double red wire coming to it. Right above it is the fuse, look at it and see if it's blown. if it is, the check switch has failed, it is the white piece with the double yellow, white, and red wires coming to it. If the fuse is blown, replace with 1 amp fuse and the check switch. If fuse is good, chances are it is the lid switch. Garrett

10. Bubba

Bubba Member

It's fixed. Thanks for all the help.

ClaySmoke nailed it. A new lid switch ($28.08 with tax) and the washer is washing again. Momma is happy. :)

Thanks again. TS.com people are the greatest.

11. chessney

chessney TS Member

Bubba if you didn't buy the switch yet, then don't. Mine went and all I did was by pass the switch by cutting the leads to it and use a wire nut to connecting them together. worked for me..Ziggy

12. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Glad the info helped Bubba. Garrett

13. chessney

chessney TS Member

Champ..The only time I've done that is when I was seperating the STS shells from The AA shells.LOL..Ziggy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.