1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T NHRA goes to 1000'

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Well it looks as if Top Fuel and Funny Car will be racing 1000' instead of the traditional 1320'. They considered doing this 20 years ago to cut down the speeds.

ec90t

2. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Good idea. It's a shame a tragedy has to happen before changes are made, as in Nascar as well

3. primed

primed Well-Known Member

If the expected Nitro shortage happens, it won't matter much.

Bob

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Primed,

I'm kinda lost on the nitro shortage problem. I've seen where they discontinued all nitro car testing.

Didn't the NHRA fine Don Shumacher something like $100,000 for carrying nitro from another supplier in his hauler that he wasn't using, but was a dealer for? I'll bet that he saw this coming.

ec90t

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Boy, that news certainly makes my day!

Curt

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Don Shumacher claims to have over 400 drums of Nitro methan on hand for some of his other business's besides racing ... I guess the price of Nitro took off like the price of shot some time ago and he got his before it all happened ... The NHRA must get some kick backs from Torco if they can only use Torco fuels and at $27.00 bucks a gallon that should leave a little room for some grease ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. ccridr

ccridr Member

Don't fix the problem! Instead of correcting the length of the run out aera, shorten the track. At 270 mph how long does it take to cover that 320 feet, sure not long enough to make it safe.
    Because of all the expences incured to shoot trap, maybe the rounds should be 20 birds and the cost per round reduced by 20 percent. That makes as much sence as shorting the track.
    Danger is accepted when you strap in a race car, every driver knows that is part of the sport, if you can't accept the risk, stay home. The drivers are more likly to be killed while driving on the highway than on the track. This sounds like a rule a liberal would come up with.
    Colby

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

That's just rediculous. I agree with ccridr. Shortinging the track by 320' won't solve the problem. Why not just go to the 1/8 mile instead. Than 1/16 mile than.....well you get the point.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Thats a slap in the face for all of the tracks around the country that made sure there was enough shutdown area with no obstructions (like trees) like they have and had at Englishtown ... The NHRA should make the tracks come up to the standard for safety or not allow races to be held at those faciltys ... When a track see's how much money they will lose by not being able to host an event they will comply in a damn quick hurry or lose truck loads of money ... Look at the stands and figure $45.00 to $75.00 a pop plus all of the extras when attending the races ... This is a no brainer for sure ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

You can bet that the car owners and crew chiefs are very much in favor of this new rule as well. The bulk of the engine damage to a top fuel, or funny car, occurs in the last 300' of the race. Imagine the amount of money a car owner would save if it only saved 1-2 engines per season.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

A slight gear ratio change and you will just have 320 more feet to slow down. Don

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Dan, while I always enjoy and respect your posts, I have to disagree with your logic on this one.

You can bet that the crew chiefs and engine builders are already calculating how to get the speed/ rpms back that will be lost on that last 100 yds.+.

They'll still be blowing 'em up just before the finish, and going 320mph in short order.

Also, can someone please explain the nitro shortage thing?

13. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

checkout this great web site. it is www.competitionplus.com. Tells most of the story. The plants that produce the nitro in China are shutting down because of air pollution for the summer Olympic games to try and clean the air. Therefore no nitro will be produced and I believe something about the ports also closing. This is causing the shortage of nitro. GE gets there powder for inside the florescent lights form the same area. They are restarting a plant in Cleveland because no powder is being produced or shipped from Chine. My neighbor works for GE and the plant is being put back into action after a two year shutdown. He's working 12 hour days to get it going. Guess China has us "over a barrel" Motordoc

14. Chip

Chip TS Member

It's all part of the feminized world we live in today. A driver gets hurt or killed and we must slow down the cars and this is all about slowing them down.

It's a frikken drag race, maximum hp, maximum acceleration, mimimum time through the quarter mile. This is all due to inadequate out of date facilities. The drivers are still "handling" the cars.

Now drag racing has gone politically correct.

Slowing down race cars, what next slowing down fighter planes?

15. ec90t

ec90t Guest

It will be interesting to see how they able to switch the timers from the 1000' mark back to 1320' during the same event without getting everything all screwed up and costing somebody a race. Prostock Cars and Motorcycles as well as all the sportsman racers are still utilizing 1320'.

WPT brings up a good point about the dragstrips that have the space for proper shutdown. Indy, for instance, has so much shutdown room it's overkill! But that is a good thing.

Only time will tell if it hurts attendance.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.