1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T -- NFL Refs are on the take!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jevoliva, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Anyone watching the piss pour performance by the refs in the Pitt/Jax game? How can you call defenseive pass ineterfernce when the receiver has his fingers in his face mask? Then, you are still 6 inches short of a TD and the refs can't decide if it is a TD, so what the heck -- we are in Pittsburgh -- we might as well give it to them.

NFL doesn't want a small market team like Jax in the playoffs. Plus, make dure the dog wins to satisfy the bettors. Jeez...

John

2. smartass

smartass TS Member

stop whining, Jax won

3. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Now Jax gets to play at Foxboro... man, two great NFL games today! Hopefully the same tomorrow.

4. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

John, I'd hate to be around when your beloved Jax lost. Seldom if ever does an official's call determine the ballgame as usually it's the players who win or lose it by making mistakes, fumbling, interceptions, missed assignments. Oh well, usually it's losers who complain. You're a minority. You're right....they can't poor piss out of a boot :)

Larry

5. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

I am not a fan of Jax. I actually like Pittsburgh a little more -- my team are the Colts. It was just two really bad calls in a row and I don't like the refs determining the outcome of the game. The argument that refs seldom affect the outcome of a sports game is ridiculous. They can easily change the momentum of a game -- not as easily in football as say, basketball, but they can affect a game. For basketball, just look at the NBA and the ref scandal they had last year. ONE ref affected the outcome of MULTIPLE games throughout the season and the playoffs.

I just expect better officiating form the NFL, especially in the playoffs. Did any of my detractors here actually see the two plays I am talking about? I will nose around on youtube and see if I can find a clip...

John

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Jevoliva - I saw the P/I call at the goal line. The receiver and the defender were both very lively with the hands. It didn't look like the receiver was trying to hold the face mask. However, the defender looked like like he was permanently intertwined with the receivers arms.

Just another view.

PS - The Steelers really gave up the game when they went for two after the last two TD's. The one-pint PAT's would have guaranteed OT with Jax kicking the FG with 37 seconds left. Blame the coach on those two errors.

Best,
    Dennis

7. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

At one time I was employed with a fellow worker whose Father was a NFL ref in
    the late 60's and 70's. On certain games he was on the take. He was paid to
    throw the flag at least three times against a specific team regaurdless of the
    outcome. He was paid in Thousands of dollars and outcome and final score was
    of no consquence in his payment. He was later killed in a strange hunting
    accident. Money and Sin seem to go hand and hand.

Gunnerx

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Holding occurs on virtually every play. It is easy to influence the spread, if not the outcome.

Figure it out.

HM

9. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

OK, I found it -- you be da judge..

Fast Forward to 5:30 in the video -- Even the studio crew says that it was questionable. Yes, both of them were tied up with each other, defensive holding and offensive face mask. A flag should not have been thrown or a least charge both penalties. There IS an incidental face mask penalty for these situations.

Right after that is the TD run that I think was short. The guy with the worst angle calls it a TD. You have the back judge that is three yards from the play making a no call and the LJ from 15 yards away running in and calling the TD, even though there are 3-4 bodies in his way. The don't show the reply on the clip, but it looked like he was about 1/2 yard short.

Dennis -- hindsight in those situations are always 20/20 -- the second 2 point conversion, you had to go for it. It was 1 point lead with a missed conversion or missed XP, a 2 point with a good XP. If you make the 2 point, then only a FG ties. The first 2 pointer was questionable, but at that point it was a 5 point game ad getting the points outs you within a FG -- what I think was the bad call was still going for 2 after the holding call. You now have a 12 yard 2 point or a 29 yard XP. I think in the situation, he made the right call -- but how cool would it have been to have an OT game after the roller coaster game of the Seahawks / Skins? Man, what a comeback by the Skins in the second half. If you like football, you had to like yesterday.

One last things on these refs -- they are paid around $25,000 to $35,000 for the season. How hard do you think it would be for the mob to influence one of these guys. NBA refs are paid around $125,000 to $150,000 and they were able to influence one (that we know of) last year alone.

John

10. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

OK John, settle down a little. Now that you have identified the problem let's look for the solution. Can officials be replaced by computers or anything else that leaves the human element out of the game? Is it conceivable that an official can make an honest mistake or are they all "on the take? It is dispicable that there were officials that did violate the basic rule of officiating, that being honesty but often times there are bad apples in every profession. What is the solution? I would like to see this kind of interest in topics more important than football such as trap shooting.

11. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

I plainly labeled the topic as O/T -- if you want to only talk about trapshooting, then why not stay away from topics that are labeled as such.

On that note, why do people get up in arms about O/T posts here? Every message board I have ever seen has an off-topic section. Why is it blasphemous for trapshooters to talk about something other than trapshooting?

The solution, in the case of the refs, is to pay them more. Take the financial incentive away from them. When NCAA refs (football and basketball) are only paid $200 - $400 a game, why is everyone so worried about the players throwing a game?

I guess I won't hear a reply from Longhorn on this subject since it is not trapshooting related....

John

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

NFL referees get 8100 dollars a game. At least that was the fine for the guy who threw Barnett on the ground. That was the pay for one game, they said.

Why would more money solve the problem? I think 2 thousand an hour is pretty good.

HM

13. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

The article is a little old, but my snooping around the internet says it still about the same today (those sources are not as good as the above).

NFL Officials are the lowest paid of the big 4, but they have the least amount of games to officiate. But, more money is wagered on NFL games than any of the other 3, so my argument is that they should be paid the highest.

And make them full time already.

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My smart bookie friends always seemed to know when to play the fix!!

15. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Give it up John.......people are laughing at you. You gotta be a Democrat. Throw more money at the problem and it will surely go away. Have a good week.

Larry

16. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Longhorn, if you "would like to see this kind of interest in topics more important than football such as trap shooting", then why do you continue to reply to this thread? Just let it die and it will disappear. I guess you are interested in the O/T threads after all. In looking at your posting history, you seem to like to comment on college football and also have an affinity for rifles, pistols and scopes. Please takes these conversations to their proper message boards in the futrue, if you please.

Also, I am glad to see we are back to knowing who or what I am without knowing me. It seems like we went around this bend about a decade ago. I will go ahead and take of it now -- yes, I am a stuck up, silver spooned, spoiled little brat that does not work and has everything given to him. Meanwhile, you hide behind a screen name.

BTW, no, I am a registered Republican. I have voted in every Presidential campaign and all but 1 state/local campagin since I was eligible, which is a lot more for most of the people my age (31).

Ta Ta to you Longhorn. May you have a blessed week.

John Voliva, R.Ph.
    ATA# 82-04800

17. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

jevoliva
    I saw the game and I agree with you, especially the face mask call. definitely a screw up. Good game though, even though the wrong team won.

Longhorn, as his name implies is full Merda del Toro. Ben

18. DocJim

DocJim Member

There were a lot of bad calls in that game. The one that really hurt was a "no call" of offensive holding on the play when the JAX QB broke the sneak for about 30 yards with less than 2 minutes left which sealed the outcome. If the JAX lineman could have held on with their feet on that play they would have.
    JG

19. targetshooter

targetshooter Member

and they say RAIDER fans cry about that kind of stuff the game is over pittsburg is going home lets go San Diego Indy or Jax i want to say Raiders but we all know my team has a ways to go.

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

It sounds like the NFL officiating is like officiating with the ATA rulebook ... its all up to the interpretation of the official.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nfl refs on the take

refs on the take