1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T New York City's outrageous gun laws

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mr.C, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.C

Mr.C TS Member

Being a law abiding citizen of the Big Apple,I applied for both rifle and pistol permits.Rifle in Jan.07,pistol,Dec.06.I had to travel to a different boro(Queens)for the rifle.An hour of travel,no place to park.Not bad though,one day process,filing,pictures,prints,etc.and roughly $200.Had to wait 3 months before finally receiving it.The pistol is another story.In person to get application(1 trip to the city)Another trip in with completed app.and about $400 for fees.(has to be typed only,proof of address,notarized and character refs,etc.)Another trip in about 8 weeks later for an interview,at which time I was told there was a problem with my prints(too light)so I was printed again(no cost-not my fault)About 2 weeks ago the investigator tells me still a problem,so I go into city again to be printed for 3rd time.4 trips so far,glad I'm retired.Now hopefully in 2 weeks I should get notice to go in again to pick up permit(no mail to you).Then in again within 30 days,and 72 hrs.after purchasing pistol so they can look at it and register it. 6 total trips!!What a hassle.Should have just went to a corner and bought a street piece.Don't let this happen in your city.Support NRA,and fight for your 2nd amendment rights

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This is Sarah Brady's idea of "reasonable" gun "control".

3. Trucido

Trucido TS Member

Nope - this is Rudy Guiliani's idea of "reasonable" gun "control".

4. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

It isn't a whole lot different in New Jersey. I applied for a firearms purchaser permit on March 10. I am still waiting. In my town, you have to have the FID in your possession before you can apply for a pistol permit.

The FID process costs about $75 and requires two applications and fingerprinting. I will probably get notified that my prints weren't good in about a month, just like everyone else.

5. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I just renewed my CCW permit this past week. Took me about 5 minutes and cost me $50 for three years.

I live in Missouri

hubcap

6. Bubba

Bubba Member

NY and CA go a long way to protect the criminal element. Gotta keep the honest folks defenseless.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Sullivan Law in NYC should actually be called the "Criminal Protection Act of 1911"<br>
    <br>
    The law had NOTHING to do with making citizens safer.<br>
    <br>
    It had everything to do with making criminals safers.
    <br>
    Mob bosses got tired of the citizens they preyed on shooting up their thugs, and via the inevitable political power that came from their crooked money, got "Big Tommy" Sullivan to pass a law that made it very difficult and expensive for ordinary people to arm themselves against criminals.<br>
    <br>
    Just as gun control got its start with racist laws designed to keep freed slaves from defending themselves from Klansmen and others, the NYC law was designed to keep people from defending themselves from mob thugs.<br>

8. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

CT is pretty good for being a liberal, commie state when it comes to gun permits.

Gun permits here are administered via State Police and with the exception of your initial application-you never deal with a local PD.

You do your address changes over the phone in 5-minutes, State Police mails
    you a renewal notice 90-days prior to your expiration, then you go to one of two or three state police barracks that handle renewals for your new photo ID
    which takes all of 5 minutes and is issued to you on the spot.

It's 100 times EASIER than dealing with the DMV in CT for a license renewal.
    Plus, CT is a shall issue state with pistol permits having built in CCW and a renewal fee of $50 for five years. With it, you are good to go for any same day purchase of handguns, rifles and shotguns from dealers in the State.

9. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

is it true that in the city of chicago that there is no permit available, as handguns are illegal/ outlawed in the city??

10. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.