1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T New Honda Accord

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Citori Shooter, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi All, I'm considering buying a new Honda Accord if anybody has one please let me know what you think of the car; (4 cyl.) gas mileage, problems, likes, dislikes. There are some complaints I found online about the drivers' seat being hard and uncomfortable. Thanks.

2. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have owened a few accords--excellent cars. Moved away from them as they sat too low for the "old mans back" to get in/out easily. Migrated to toyota--also an excellent car. Just recently purchased a honda CRV--a "hard" firm seat that I "LOVE"---remember, after a few years that "perfect" seat softens up a bit.
    Overall a nice firm seat with great lumbar support---insist that your dealer allow you to drive one (a used one if necessay) for a short trip to see if it works for you--it did for me!

3. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

My father has one, EX with leather interior and he is 80 yrs old, both him & mom love the car. He gets a new one every 3 yrs. No complaints.

I have a Camry, also a nice car but the accord is a little nicer inside-both are great cars.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Just completed a 400+ mile rt in a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Very impressed with performace, mileage, handling and driver comfort. Just something to think about.

Eric

5. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Like my daughter tells me ......... do you see any of them setting along the highway broke down and I have to say no. So now we own one and its a super nice car. The one we own has a V6 in it.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I now belong to the "old man's back" club only it's in addition to my "old man's hips" and "old man's knees" memberships. Getting down into and up out of my Buick Regal is becoming a painful task but fortunately, I get to drive all kinds of new cars in my part-time job as a driver for Enterprise Car Sales. In that capacity, I shuttle cars and trucks all over Pennsylvania and the surrounding states, sometimes driving 600 and 800 miles in one day. While doing that, I've found my new favorite vehicle - and of all things, it's a minivan!

I spent three agonizing months as a Dodge dealership service manager back in 2002 and swore I'd never buy or even recommend Chrysler products to anyone. But I have to hand it to that company; their products have really shown improvement in recent years. The comfort is what made me even think about owning one - you step straight in and step straight out with no back, hip or knee-torquing movements. And once you're in there, it's a really nice, easy to use, well laid out cockpit.

Our son was married in Virginia over the Labor Day weekend and as I knew I'd be transporting people from one function to another, I rented a 2011 Grand Caravan Crew with 22,000 miles on it from our rental office for the four days that was tight, quiet and problem-free. Being used to the 30mpg highway my Regal yields and with fuel prices as they are these days, I am as sensitive to fuel economy as anyone. The highway portion of the trip was not over "good" road - US15 is mostly two-lane between central Pennsylvania and central Virginia but we still averaged just over 28mpg during those phases of the trip. My overall fuel mileage for the four days, which included a lot of short runs here and there that amounted to about 40% of the total mileage was 22.4. Then there's all that interior room...

I have a student loan to finish paying off in a year, then I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a retired 2012 rental unit.

Ed

7. FIB

FIB Member

I had an 07 Accord w/the V6 and it was a great car. Prior to purchasing it I had driven PU trucks for 12 years and just couldn't get used to having to "get down" to get into it. I sold it and bought a 07 Highlander and have been very happy. I own 2 other Honda's an Odyssey and a Civic and have been very pleased with all my Honda's. The build a great car and engine!

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I owned a 2003 Accord V6, my 5th Honda. It's hard to go too far wrong with a Honda. I traded it for a 2010 Subaru Legacy H6.

If ease of entry and exit are a major concern, check out the Legacy, which is far better in this regard than the Accord--and you get AWD to boot.

9. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

check your local Hyundai dealer and test drive what they have. great build quality, price, and a terrific warranty. then make your choice. hard to go wrong, though, with whatever you choose these days.

dave

10. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

My wife just got a new 2011 Honda Accord two months ago. She had been driving a 2002 Honda Civic for five years with zero problems. At 66 years old, she was tired of the "getting down into" and "getting up and out of" in the Civic and having a hard time getting groceries in and out of the coupe back seat. She test drove the Ford Fusion, the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord. The Camry was nice but the Accord had more room and was easier to get in and out of. It is a four cylinder. My wife drove us over to a small town 15 miles away for breakfast this morning. We live on a mountain. The Accord went up and down the mountain without hesitation. It is also very easy for me to get my 350 pounds into and out of the passenger seat and sit comfortably with plenty of room. I am used to driving a pickup truck but like riding in the Accord. I left the final decision up to my wife. I think she made a great choice and she is very pleased with her new Accord.

11. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I own a 2008 ( 8th generation) EX-L with Nav and V6. It's been a good car, they are very hard on the rear brakes for some reason, I hope they fixed that in the new ones. They are bigger than a camy but not by much, however they feel much much bigger in the back seat. They do seem to have a lot of wind noise and you would need to get used to that, the camry I test drove was quieter going down the road. MPG with a v6 is currently at 26 mpg for 5500 miles. This does about 27-28 on the open road, however I seem to step on the 268 hp more than I should. I sometimes wish I had the 4 cyl for better mpg, however the civic is the run around town car.

Strange as it sounds, I like the civic more than the accord, it's just more fun zipping around town in that car, road trips means the accord however.

12. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Where is it built?

13. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Marysville, Ohio

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just a though--what engines are used @ the INDY 500?

Phil Berkowitz

15. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

Hondas are good cars. My 2000 Accord lasted 203,000 before reverse gear started to go and I swapped it in for a 2009 Camry. Before I bought it, I looked at the Accords, but thought that they were TUTO (Too Ugly To Own). Good mechanicals, but nasty looking. The Camry is decently built, very comfortable, fairly boring to drive, good trunk room for guns and good gas economy. It handles like a pig, but a comfortable pig.

If I were in the market today, I'd look long and hard at the Hyundai Sonata. It has good looking lines, great warranty, lower price and a good reputation for reliability.

16. ctreay

ctreay Member

Before you commit yourself check out the VW Jettas. Huge trunk, ours holds 4 Browning cases, 4 shooting bags, 4 flats of chells, 4 folding chairs and a cooler. good seats, a 5 cyl engine and on trips we avg 32-34 MPG on reg unleaded.

ctreay

17. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Thanks for the all the replies, I took a 2012 Accord for a test drive today. I found the road noise excessive as drh08 stated above but I felt the noise was coming more from the rear of the car than from the wind per se, so a 2012 Accord will not be my next car. I may try a Jetta or Sonata next. Thanks.

18. thunder

thunder Active Member

When we were looking for a new car we drove most of the brands on the market. The Honda Accord was a very nice car but I too found the road noise excessive, that was the deal breaker. Drove the new Hyundai Sonata and didn't like the blind spots. We went to Toyota and decided between a Camry or a Avalon, my wife wanted the Avalon and so did I. We have 8000 miles on it and we are averaging city and hwy driving mileage (which is about 40% city and 60% hwy) combined 28.1 mpg, had as high as 31plus on highway. We are very happy with it and it has a very quiet 6 speed auto trans and engine. The engine horsepower is very impressive. Road noise almost not their, this is one impressive auto. Drive one and decide for yourself, and yes its made in Kentucky.

19. nanuk

nanuk TS Supporters TS Supporters

I chimed in earlier as I recently purchased a 2011 honda CRV and really enjoy it--may not be your cup of tea, but it works very well for me(sits high and minimal road noise--but then many say I can't hear).
    As thunder has indicated , if you want a really nice ride ,consider the toyota
    avalon---we have two (wifes auto in NC and Fl), By far the best ride of any full size sedan we have ever tried. Not Cheap, but don't rule out a nice clean used one--remember, it doesn't cost anything to try one out.
    regards
    Bob

20. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The October issue of Car & Driver compared the Honda Accord,
    Hyundai Sonata and VW Passat. The results were: VW 1st, Honda 2nd
    and Sonata 3rd. The Passat is the new version designed for the
    American market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.