1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t new computer won't send email...??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chiefjon, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

o/t new computer won

I have a new computer. I have it set up and it seems to be fine, except I can receive emails but the computer will not send emails. I can't find the set up steps to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

JON

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What operating system?

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

No doubt it is the operator...it is a Vista operating system.

JON

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I don't know how to read...here's how to "get" email (sheesh):

You need to setup your outgoing mail: generally an smtp address.

For example: youremailaddress - smtp.mail.yahoo(msn,sbc,att,gmail).com

It should end up looking like this:

trapshooter@yahoo.com - smtp.mail.yahoo.com (insert your internet provider where I have Yahoo - whether it's yahoo, MSN, SBC, AT&T or Gmail)

This is more or less a universal setup for a Windows application.

Hope this helps.

**edited**

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jon you say Vista but which one basic, Home premium, Or pro?

In your mail program. Click on tools, then options, then send I have all the boxes check and I have no problems. Just something to check.

Bob lawless

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check with your email provider to see if they have something on their website as a guide to setting up their email. If it's provided by your internet service provider, they are the ones to contact. It looks like it's AT&T or AT&T/Yahoo, so that's who to get hold of. I provided a self help link above, so that may be another option. No idea if you are on DSL or dialup, or whatever, so I can't give you much more than that.

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Jon,

This may be a function of your e-mail provider...

There are two different settings on most e-mail programs - one for in-coming mail and one for out-going mail.

In the past these would be different - recently they have tended to be the same (as in identical), but some ISP's (the guys you deal with for e-mail) may use the old ways...

Typically these two things are called 'mail server'(for in-coming) and 'SMTP server' (for out-going).

A call to them might sort things out for you...

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Check with your ISP, which is typically your SMTP provider. they will tell you in their help pages the name of the SMTP server, whether it requires a login, whether you need to use your full email address or just a simple user name to log in, whether it requires SSL, and what ports to use.

PM me if you want help.

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jon,

If you use AT&T, try 877-722-3755 for dial-up and 800-967-5363 for DSL service.

What you may need is the SMTP or POP 3 "port numbers" for outgoing mail. Apparently, you have only the incoming port number.

To learn more about Windows Mail using Vista Home Premium (various Vista versions may all be the same), open your Windows Mail and click on "Tools" at the top." Click "Internet Accounts" on the drop-down menu. Your email information should be visable and possibly highlighted. If not, hightlight it and click "Advanced" on the right. That will open a window with the information about port numbers.

AT&T tech support will help you finish setting things up. It may be a good idea to write down the port numbers. Also ask the tech which boxes to check on the acvanced window.

Two other things that go somewhere(?) are "pop3.att.yahoo.com" and "smtp.att.yahoo.com."

Rollin

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Chief, if your using Outlook express fire up your old computer and go to the header up at the top that says tools. Then click on mail accounts and it should bring up a list of the mail accounts you have. Highlight the one you want to work on your new computer and then click on export. That will allow you to save a file that has all your settings for that email account on it. Save it somewhere you can remember to retrieve it from, desktop works for me and save it.

Then all you have to do is get that file over to your new computer you could burn it to a disk or better yet get on of those little thumb drives that plug into the usb port and transfer the file to it.

With that file on your new computer, start outlook express and go to tools, mail accounts, and click on import, import that file you transferred over and it should do everything else for you.

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Thanks gents...it finally took a phone call, but it appears to be working ok now.

JON

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Jon, what was the issue??

13. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

It needed to be manually programed regarding the POP & SMTP log ins...or something like that...As I said the operator (me) was the problem.

Thanks again for your help.

JON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.