1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T New air compressor needed. 240v or 125v?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by omahasportingsupply, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I currently have a little portable compressor and am looking to get a stationary unit that will sit in my garage all of the time. I have a sub panel box in the garage and can dedicate a breaker to it. I want to install a manifold with valves both in the garage and inside the basement. I will have two shops in the basement and want to have air in both locations. I have wired a 50 amp breaker for many of my friends and then put a range outlet in so they can choose to plug in their welder or large air compressor. I will mostly by using the air to wire brush presses and clean paint off. The wire brush need some air but not as much as many tools. I don't think I will be painting much at this time. I have 3 dremels as back up wire brushes.

What is the major advantage of 240v over 125V IF portability is NOT an issure? What is the best range of PSI needed? I don't see myself starting a body shop soon so ezxpansion is minimal. What size line is best for distribution in the basement? It is a long ranch style house and can use Pex, PVC, Copper, Steel, or Galvanized piping. I can solder and with manifolds and valves, I will be able to turn off branches I am not using. Where is the best place to buy a vertical compressor as shipping adds up on these units quickly. Thanks for any input. Omaha

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Even Menard's has a nice selection of compressors. Look at the air requirement of the biggest air consumer you will be using and try to at least match it, otherwise you will always be running a lower pressure and that's a drag.

It used to be you could only get 100 psi but now 135 is about standard. Get a piston model; diaphragm pumps are noisy as the devil which is OK if it's not nearby, but otherwise you can't put up with it for long.

I use copper pipe and it's lasted 30 years. Plumb in a low point (or two) for drainage; put a tap there.

Install more connectors than you think you will ever need; you will. Run one out near the door, you need to fill tires and blow dirty stuff off. Coiled hoses (the yellow ones) are not as useful as they look; maybe for a blowgun but the diameter is so small you can't use them for much else.

Remember, air is necessary for life, particularly in a shop.

Neil

3. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Galvanized is not to be used for compressed air only Black pipe is for air or of course gas. I have heard of CPVC being used but be damned sure you use cleaner before solvent welding it. I am not sure about Pex it is very easy to work with but you need to spend about $100.00 for the crimping tool that looks sort of like a bolt cutter. My experience with using air tools in a home situation is that it costs too much to make the compressed air to operate them. I am talking industrail type air tools. Some times of course only an air tool will do the job. I have close to twenty years experience in repairing and servicing industrial air tools. As far as the question of 125 or 220 volt the power usage/ the wattage is the same but the 220 will use a lighter gauge wire.

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The advantage of 240 over 120 is less current. So smaller wire and breaker can be used. Best deals are where you find them, just have to look around. Some places, like Northern Hydraulics, sometimes offer free shipping. Pay attention to the advertised pressure, horsepower and amperage . Manufacturers play games with the motor horsepower ratings. A 5hp motor can be listed as 7.5 peak hp and the data plate will list the hp as "special." Just have to know what you are looking at. They also play games with the pressure and air volume. So when you compare two make sure you are comparing the same air volume at the same pressure. If you ever want to paint a car of do much sand blasting you really need a two stage with an 80 gal tank. The better ones are usually cast iron instead of aluminum. A lot of money can be save by taking the time to do the homework.

5. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

go with the 240v, runs cooler and starts easier....In my machine shop we have cpvc all over for air lines and it works great, we keep the pressure around 115 psi.....the higher psi. you want to produce the more the compressor has to work....for air tools I like to keep the psi. as low as possible and keep the volume high (extra holding tank).

we have 2, 7.5 hp. 2 stage compressors, (100 gal. tanks), and another 100gal. holding tank. Both compressors feed the holding tank. and all tanks have automatic timed drains in the bottom, then the air goes through an air dryer to the shop lines.

this maybe overkill for you but all compressors create moisture, especially when it's humid out, and you need to keep it out of your tools.

tony

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

When my compressor is not being used it is shut off and the tank valve at the bottom is open. The tank will rust from the inside out if the water is not kept drained.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Once you get used to air tools ,you never have enough. The cheaper the tool the more C.F.M. it will need to run. Look at the tools down the road you may get and chcck the requiremnts. I personally like 20 CFM minimum. You never have enough.A 2 stage , 240 volt is best regardless of size and buy a good brand. Jeff

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . and once you get a couple of pinholes in a rusting-out air tank, you will use JB Weld until you take your calculator out and see how much force is trying to rip that air tank apart.

Neil

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Amen to the piston pump. the "oilless" diaphragm pumps are nothing more than a glorified aquarium pump.

If I leave it on the damn thing wakes me up at night with a mighty buzz when it kicks in.

HM

10. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

My shop is all 1/2" copper lines and still in use since 1961 when my father built it. Have a large compressor with a large tank,so drains are a must in both lines and tank,as well as a regulator for tools that use less air.My cut off is set at 150 lbs so I must use a regulator. Remember they make a lot of noise when running,some people enclose them or install outside and build a small cover around them. Go for the 220-240 volt set up. But DO NOT get a 3 phase motor......be careful when buying as they can sometimes be had for less money but trust me you DO NOT want 3 phase power $$$$.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

If you want to use plastic piping, you should not use PVC or CPVC, as they will shatter at sometime in their life, and the shards they throw are very lethal.

I know there are millions of people who have used it all their life, but luck does run out some day.

You can use pex, it's usually rated to 100 psi or abs (cycolac) copper of steel. I would use copper as the prices have gone down alot in the last few months

Rick

12. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

From a user standpoint, there is nothing wrong with three phase power if it is avaliable. Installation cost can be higher. All motors of a given horsepower use the same amount of wattage regardless of voltage, single or three phase. That is what you pay for on your electric bill. Oiled compressors pass small amounts of oil with the air and a oil trap or filter is required for painting.

13. atashooter

atashooter Member

I have a 240 6hp 30gal oiless. I HATE IT. The oiless is Very loud. I want to sell it and get a old regular oil piston unit.

14. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I bought mine at sears. 175psi 220 single phase. was around 700 bucks on sale. I also used i believe pvc or cpve not sure. Use schedule 40. It is rated for the pressure and heat and works great in the shop. Easy to work with and you can put in shutoff valves and drains wherever you need them. Use a water trap awayy from the compressor so the water has time to condense. Buy a two stage not single stage, belt driven. Usually the higher pressure pumps are two stage and you can run it at 125 or 160 PSI. Drain the tank when you are dont running it. Be careful about the real cheapie ones. Also try home depot and lowes. Most of the two stage ones are good. Ingersol Rand is the best but really expensive. motordoc

15. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

16. omahasportingsupply

Good suggestions so far. I have already purchased several regulators and water traps and have been trying them out on my portable compressor. For threaded fittings do you use regular white teflon tape or the yellow gas teflon tape? I found a couple of leaks but didn't really tighten to hard since it is temp. Where do you buy an additional storage tank? How much for the tank alone? I will probably install 4 to 6 gas valves, then I can shut off a branch until I am ready to use it. The large compressor could sit in the garage where noise should not be such a problem. Some late night I will be going to the freezer trying to sneak some ice cream and that big honker will start up over in the dark corner and I will probably pee my pants! Bring in unconditioned air from the garage to the conditioned air of the basement means I will install a water trap at most low points. Any of you make your own hoses or just buy the prefabs lengths? Thanks sharing all of your pointers. I think I will skip the porting but maybe add a Keensight rib! LOL. Omaha

17. motordoctor

there is a company that makes an isolator pad that you sit the compressor on. it takes a lot of the vibration and noise out of the operation. not sure where to get them but try an industrial supply store. they are about 6 inches square. i did not even bolt my compressor to the floor and it has never moved. motordoc

18. omahasportingsupply

I found that some of the quick connect females leak at first, I presume because the rubber has dried out. I put a little oil in them and open and close them a few times and then the rubber seals better. I don't know if it is just cheap ones, or they have been sitting on the shelf drying out to long. I use the vales in case the females are leaking air (I'm not going to go there). What is so bad about galvanized pipe and fittings? Does it flake off and clog your filters? I already purchased the PEX lines and crimpers while deducting it on my rental property. Omaha

19. motordoctor

YOU DEDUCTED IT ON A RENTAL PROPERTY???? That is a no no. We now have it in writing and if I remember correctly that the person that turns you in gets 20%. That should pay for one or two rounds of shooting.

20. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can buy isolation pads at a A/C supply house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.