1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Need refrigerator advice

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

I have a Whirlpool at least 18 years old. Compressor is not starting. It clicks, hums for 1 second, clicks again. Repeats after 20-30 seconds. Is this fixable or even worthy of a service call?

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Service call and new compressor will probably be more than an 18 year old fridge is worth. You should probably get ready to invest in a new one. John

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

new loader- I had a similar problem about two months ago. My appliance repairman rents from me so I do not have to pay him a service call fee. His first remark was that he no longer replaces compressors in refrigerators. Just too much trouble. He did know someone else who could do the work. After checking parts price, gas disposal, etc, he came up with a price of $450. He also strongly emphasized that there is no warranty on replacement compressors.

My new refrigerator works well.

Pat Ireland

4. mobear

mobear Member

You could have it checked to see if it is a bad capacitor, if that is shot it wont supply enough power to start the compressor, if it is the compressor, bcnu is right, a new fridge would be cheaper, at a apartment complex where I worked I had a 3 month old fridge fry the compressor, if it hadnt been under warranty, the replacement compressor was $800, we only paid $420 for refridgerators brand new.

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

New refrigerators are more energy efficient than they were 18 years ago so not only will it be more cost effective to buy new, your energy bills will be slightly less too.

good shopping,

Mike

PS, recently bought a brand new kitchenaid s/s reefer with ice and water through the door and love it. It has built in temp sensors with digital readouts so you can see where the temps are set plus a built in water filter for the ice and water dispenser with a filter life indicator. Kitchenaid is made by frigidair.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Time is money. I had the same thing happen after mine was only 6 years old(frigidare). No warrenty anymore. It would have cost to much to repair. I agree with Pat. I love my new refrigerator as well.Break-em all. JEff

7. new loader

new loader Member

Out with the old, in with the new. This came from Lowe's. Can't beat their next day delivery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.