1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Need price Ljutic 73

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

What would be a good price to buy a Ljutic 73, upgraded wood? All great condition with 4 Briley choke tubes in Browning BT hard case. 34" barrel. Was sent to Ljutic for "tune-up" within the last 5 years. I saw this for sale with some other guns but the fellow wasn't set on a price. What would be a price too good to pass up? I am supposed to make an offer this week.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

... or a couple of hundred less. If the choke has been messed with (no visible "rings") then _a lot_ less or more likely a pass altogether.

Neil

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My bbl is pristine...my bluing is first rate and the wood on mine is verrry nice...and $2200 wouldn't buy it....but then, it's not for sale anyway....there are some good buys out there, though.

Ron Burr

4. zackman1259

zackman1259 TS Member

about $2200 pending on condition.

Zack Santoro

5. new loader

new loader Member

One thing I did notice, is that the forearm "tabs" (the side protrusions that point rearward) are showing signs of cracking. If this cannot be repaired, or will not stay repaired, I suppose a new forearm would be quite expensive?

6. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Briley is one of the "best" at installing choke tubes, and may, or may not be an asset. But remember, this is an "older (30 or so years) gun" and resale is lower than for a current model of which there are many out there. IMHO......merlyn...

7. ljutic73

I've never had a crack on the forend of my X-73....don't know why they would if thy're inletted properly and kept tight. If you need a new forend contact one of the walnut suppliers and they can recommend a duplicator. They can use your old forend as a pattern. Not a big deal.

8. guncase

guncase TS Member

Question,,,,, did the 73's have rings in the barrel?? I have never seen one that did and I have had a few. Didn't start that till the Mono guns I thought. Paul

9. AJJ

AJJ TS Member

My Ljutic s/n 12xx and a friends here in Alberta s/n 12xplus 1 in are essence Mono guns, they have the same trigger as a Mono gun, have the three (3) wad catcher choke rings, only differance from a Mono gun is that the receiver is flat sided not machined away as the Mono gun is. Original cost was Thousnad dollars less than a Mono gun. That is why they were discontinued, as too many shooters were buying the X73 instead of the Mono gun. I will never part with mine, it just go me a Senior Vetern Trophy at this years Spring Grand, mind you with new custon stock by S&S Plus in Montana. AJ.

10. ljutic73

My 73 is s/n 10XX and has the ringed chokes....the bbl has never been touched nor will it ever be...it don't need no stinkin' choke tubes!!..it smokes targets fine just the way it is...all it needs now is Roger Eubanks rib and a enw stock job like AJ's....(pending of course on if he lets me shoot his and if I can't live without doin' it to mine! LOL)

Ron Burr

11. bgf

bgf Active Member

Nadine told me last year when I bought my X73 that it was a no frills Mono. Off the shelf gun with no options available. The Mono has been around longer then the X73...which indicates first one in 1973 and they started with number 1000 if I am remembering correctly. But, I have been know to be forgetful. They stopped making them because most wanted add-ons and bought the Mono for option choices.

Bernie

12. new loader

new loader Member

Update: I did get a good look at this gun and a test shoot. First Ljutic I ever shot, so I have nothing to compare it against. The wood is extra nice. I mean fancy grain & finish. I was wondering about the metal. The receiver & barrel are high gloss blue, not the usual frosted/matte appearance. Did they come that way or was this one refinished? I can't imagine all the matte surface was polished away, but what do I know? Only thing that remains matte finish is the trigger guard. It shot good, but seemed like it had a little hesitation to break open. I had to give it a firm hand to get it to open. It was a odd feeling, but did not feel broken. Is this common? I really don't know anything about Ljutics and have no business buying this gun, but if the price is right I might take a gamble. His asking price is $1800. Too much?

13. ljutic73

new loader.....if the barrel and whole reciever is polished, then yes, it's been through some sort of resto. I had mine redone some years ago and the sides of the reciver is polished as per my request and the rest of the steel is bead blasted. You'll get some grief on this site about used Ljutics depreciating but if you like the gun, and it shoots anything like mine did when I first shot it 24 yeasr ago, go for it and bust 'em all.

14. bgf

bgf Active Member

I am waiting on my second X73 to come in. I have no idea why I got rid of the first one...shot great...pointed great. I guess I really am a trap shooter. Albeit not a very good one. Trying to buy targets...oh well.

Bernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.