1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Need leaf blower recommendation.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by almost unemployed, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

Need a recommendation for new leaf blower. Must be gas powered, hand held. Who has a good one, which ones to avoid?

2. bigben

bigben Active Member

As sauid, Stihl or the expensice echo, the echo is ever more powerfull, about 300.00 incinerate em!

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Stihl only or a rake !!!

4. msmith

msmith Member

Buy yourself a Stihl and you will not have any regrets. Mine is the older BG75 has been problem free for 12 years and is used almost daily in the summer months. Mike

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

ECHO is my choice and I have been using the same leaf blower for over 15 years. I added a second leaf blower this year. I also have an Echo chain saw and two Echo string trimmers. I keep a mower, blower and string trimmer at each of two locations.

A key consideration is to have a good local dealer who has a service department for the brand you purchase. Over the years, you will need to replace air and fuel filters, lubricate internal parts and change spark plugs. A key to longevity is to use a high quality 2 cycle oil and to drain the fuel after each use.

I always buy commercial grade machines from a lawn and garden professional type of shop. Commercial models, IMO, have more power and are better made. The models sold in Sam's, Home Depot, etc. may not be as long lasting. They are OK for light use but I like the power and dependability of commercial grade machines.

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Stay away from the ECHO brand.We had one and it was not that great. I to have to say Stihl is the best to buy.

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

My reccomendation is DO NOT buy a Craftsman! Used mine twice and never did get it to start ever again. Upon dis-assembly, I could see why. They are junk!

8. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Homelite - junk. Craftsman - worse junk. Stihl - perfect!

9. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

Do not buy anything Craftsman -- Have you priced any of their parts when and if you have a problem ? -- they are a RIP OFF -- they charge 4 times as much for their stuff -- I will never buy Craftsman again

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I echo the recommendation for Stihl. I own six of their products including hand-held and backpack blowers. They work very well, every time, for as many hours as I want to use them.

Regarding Echo products. If you buy them at Lowes or Home Depot you are buying the lower end of their line (created for the big box outlets). If you buy the stuff at your local mower shop (where the lawn service people buy) you get the good stuff.

I bought a Stihl for my dad almost 20 years ago, because it was the only hand-held blower at the time that didn't vibrate you hand and arm numb. He still uses it regularly. Mine is substantially more powerful, but is still vibration free.

11. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Stihl! Little more expensive but the one I have is commercial grade and blows 175 mph!

12. trapshooter1981682

trapshooter1981682 TS Member

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

14. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

Go to your local commerical lawn mower shop. I have a red max but like the shindaiwa eb8510rt. Here is a mail order parts co. that has great service and prices. j.thomas 1-800-828-7980. Call them and get a catalog and a price for a blower. They are in Mich.

15. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Echo here.. So far, so good!

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I've had good luck with a Homelite and they're cheap. I've been impressed considering I only paid about $90. I have a Stihl chainsaw that's nice but two Stihl weedeaters have been nothing but trouble.

17. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Stihl. Have one set for string trimming and one larger one set up with a saw blade to cut brush and small trees. Use premium gas (recommended to me by a good Stihl mechanic) and you will have no problems.

18. smartass

smartass TS Member

How do you go about blowing leaves with a string trimmer.

19. Buoy 8

Buoy 8 TS Member

Stihl is my choice. Stay away from store brands like Troy Built, most have sealed units that cannot be worked on.

20. honda1

honda1 TS Member

Get a Husqvarna backpack blower they are the bast out. I am in the lawn care business and mine has problem free for a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.