1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Need help with computer problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Can anyone help me out on this? I lost my address book. my ability to reply, and ability to forward my messages. I use outlook express. I recently switched from Comcast to Verizon. I can receive mail but can't answer it. Thanks, Mike

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

MIA,didn't work, but thanks. Mike

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Go to the link above and see if that helps.

Jerbear

4. finger

finger TS Member

Buddy: Thats because all of those tech types you see on tv work for Verizon Wireless. Two different organizations, and those seen on tv don't support e-mail, but just the network that gets you there via their wireless service.

Public ignorance of their operations is not important to them. It sounds good and that is what counts.

Mike: I suggest you download Mozilla Thunderbird and use it for your e-mail application. Its free too. Far superior to Outlook in my opinion and works flawlessly with my Verizon account. You can import your e-mail adress book easily. Then give Mozilla Firefox a try as your browser. You likely will never go back to what you are now using. bob finger

5. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

finger said it all.

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Check here as well.

Jerbear

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I use Plaxo, once you have your address book re-established download PLAXO and upload your entire book. You now have a external address book that you can always download is you have a failure, or get to if you are not at your computer.

Ronbo

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Keep getting messages: the address book failed to load outlook express is incorrectly configured. please reinstall. #2 message: unable to open address book. the address book may not be installed properly. I deleted the OE portion of Microsoft and reloaded with the original windows xp disk. NO GO. Relative suggested a new hard drive it seems I have a bug. Mike

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

First, try creating a New Windows Address Book (WAB) File. The WAB file may have become damaged or corrupted. You will need to rename the existing .wab file and restart Outlook Express(OE). Once started, Outlook Express will create a new .WAB file.

Microsoft does not recommend that you import the data from the old, damaged .wab file. If you do, you may import the damage into the new .wab file.

This is all from the MS website. Here is the procedure to create a new WAB file:

1. Click Start, point to Find (Search on Windows 2000 or newer operating systems), and click For Files or Folders.

2. In Search for files or folders named, type. *.wab and click Search Now.

3. In the Search results window, Right-click the file(s) with an extension of ".wab" and then click Rename.

4. Rename the file extension (the three left-most characters in the name) to "old" and press ENTER.

Outlook Express will create a new WAB file the next time you start it, but you will have to re-enter all of your addresses into your address book again.

If the above fix from Microsoft does not solve your problem, then you can't fix this on your own, because you have to edit the registry after DELETING Outlook Express. It takes a geek (like Quackshot, JerBear, me, etc) to be able to successfully edit the registry without doing some permanent damage to your computer.

In that case, I would suggest that you delete Outlook Express, then take it to a computer repair service and describe the problem that you were having. They will have to go in and remove 4 registry keys, and then you will need to reinstall Outlook Express. If you still have your old .wab file that you renamed, you can then rename it BACK to it's original name (assuming that you haven't MOVED it, but only RENAMED it), save it, and you should have everything back to normal.

Or, you can just pack it up now and take it in for repair.

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Thanks Devi, but that did not work either. What do you think of putting in a new drive as a relative suggested? I know I would lose much info. Mike

11. recurvyarcher

You removed Outlook Express and took it in for Registry repair that quickly??? It's only been a half hour...

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

No I tried to rename all the WAB files and restart. Mike

13. recurvyarcher

ok, now read from "If the above fix from Microsoft does not solve your problem," on down, and do that. The computer tech won't charge very much to do that, as it will take him less than 5 minutes.

Otherwise, find another shooter in your area that knows computers very well, and I can email that person and tell them which registry keys to delete.

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Curvy what part of Pa. are you from? Mike

15. recurvyarcher

Mike, I'm in York county.

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

I'm in Pittsburgh. Too far to bring it over. I decided to use my verizon mail and to just stop using outlook. Thank you very much Curvy. Mike

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

MIA, shut your mouth. I need computer help. I'm not trooling. Get them dirty thoughts out of your mind.Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.