1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Need help Ford Focus idle problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I have a 2000 Ford Focus purchased new in late '99'. It has only 48,xxx miles on it. The problem is if I sit and let the engine idle it will race to 2000 rpm, or, after going down the interstate at approx. 70 mph the engine slows down very slowly to somewhere between 1250 and 1500 rpm. If I am stopped at a stop light after coming off a freeway ramp the car will slow down to 750 rpm sometimes. The problem is sporatic. I had the gas pedal linkage lubricated and it seemed to help a little but I am getting the problem back again. Are there any Ford mechanics on here that would know if a service bulletin was issued on this problem,or does anyone know the absolute fix for the problem. Thank you, Mike

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Go to Trons web page. He can tell you what the problem is. Bill

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Sounds like a bad throttle positioner.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Vacuum leak or a sticking idle air control valve. You can clean that with a little throttle body cleaner. You can usually get a spray can of that at Walmart or most auto parts stores.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

ford focus, vacuum leaks, check all rubber lines ESPECIALLY any elbows. Also cracked intake gaskets. Also in rear cases (3 for us so far) cracked intake manifold along cyl#4 runner down around where the vacuum fitting is in back. Most over looked PVC valve, GET this part from the dealer so far all aftermarket PCV valves have been junk. right now milage means nothing.

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A rotted PCV tube (rubber hose) is a very common problem. There is also a recall on the fuel pump and that would cause your highway issue.

Tron (former Ford tech)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2000 ford focus idle problems