1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Need food places in Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by almost unemployed, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

I have a quick trip to Minneapolis coming up and would like restaurant recommendations. Nothing fancy-schmancy, just good food. Steak joint, BBQ joint, maybe something MN is famous for. Can be anything. No children involved. Hole-in-the-wall OK as long as the food is good. Let's hear it from those who know.

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

White Castle - it aint fancy and it aint expensive but it is good eats.

3. mnjim

mnjim TS Member

Any TimberLodge or Famous Daves are great. If your in downtown MPLS. try Grinate City, also great place. If you want something like wings, can't beat Buffalo Wild Wings. MnJim

4. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Famous Daves? Buffalo Wild Wings? Go to Minneapolis and go to a chain joint to eat?

Find a good local Elks or Moose or some local whatever hall if your there for a Friday night and see if they are having a local fish fry but be sure to stop at White Castle for a quick slider snack.

5. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I like these personally:

Shueng Cheng - Dinkytown near the U of M - kind of dumpy but the best Chinese. Many seafood entrees.

King and I - Downtown - Good Thai

Lindy's Prime Steakhouse - Arden Hills - they only offer three steaks, 1 kind of potato and 1 salad dressing. Garlic toast whether you want it or not. You won't be dissapointed. Half the price of Manny's.

Al Grolla - St. Paul on Selby Ave - Authentic Italian

Al's Breakfast - Dinkytown - real hole in the wall, 14 stools but good breakfast.

Savoy Pizza - St. Paul - best american style pizza, have a special. Dark and dingy but great pizza.

Punch Pizza - Hennepin Ave - authentic Italian style pizza. Wood fired brick ovens.

Jung Bo - Richfield - about the only Dim Sum place left in town. Only go if they're busy, you don't want food that's been sitting around.

Ichiban - Downtown Minneapolic near convention center - Japanese - very nice sushi bar and good teppanyaki grill.

Market Bar B Que - Downtown Minneapolis - good dry rub barbeque.

I manage to eat my way through this area OK.

Good luck

Bob

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Good ones, Bob.

My dentures clang together when I hit the holes in the White Castle burgers.

Be sure and go to the hot stuff store in the Mall of America. I bought some habaneros, smoked and dried.

One little chip and I thought I was going to have to call the rescue squad.

HM

7. dward

dward Member

I would agree that the Market BBQ has a long tradition and is worth the visit if you like BBQ. If you like Mexican I like Pepitos on 48th and Chicago in South MPLS. Pepitos is a casual restaurant with bar that serves a unique style of Mexican. For Italian I'd go to Cao Bella on 494 and France in Bloomington. For Sea Food, Ocean Aire is spendy but good in downtown MPLS. For Steaks I agree Manny's is good but expensive. For long traditioned Steaks I'd go to Jax in NE Mpls or Mancini's in St Paul.

Hope you have a nice visit - Big Dan

PS - The burgers out at the Mpls Gun Club are pretty good too!!!

8. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Mr. Ward is correct, Mancini's is a great place. Savoys pizza on 52 and west 7th is the best pizza I've ever had. Skip the famous daves, you can have that anytime and theyre food quality is spotty at best. If you want the best burger and fries you've ever had try the Nook on hamline and randolph, home made fries and burgers are the best, they also own shamrocks on west 7th and randolph, same menu same great food. Ruths Chris downtown is supposed to be good, but I have not ben there myself. Minneapolis gun club serves a mean buger also with a side of good guys LOL

9. Ertz

Ertz Member

It is hard to tell from your post but is sounds like price might be an issue. If not, I agree with Jim W. that Manny's is the best steak house out there. I ate on consecutive nights (On the company expense account of course) at Ruths Chris and Mannys. Mannys was far superior.

I am not a Market BBQ fan; just too dry for me. I would suggest Rudolphs BBQ at 1933 Lyndale ave. S. Twice named the best ribs in America.

Lindys is good and fun. Savoy pizza is incredible. Mancinis is a great steak joint.

So much more. Enjoy your stay in Minneapolis.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Based on your name (almost unemployed) I would suggest the Salvation Army food kitchen.

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Now that was not nice, nope not nice at all. That is something Lumper would have said, are you he?

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Mr Newbius: Not a chance. Been here for many years as shot410ga.

13. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

It does not mean that you could not have been him as an alter ego of yours.

14. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Nye's Polanaise Room. Chosen best bar in America, two years in a row. Great collection of genuine Naugahyde booths. Spunky 80 year old pianio player and singer. Polka, polka, polka. And their prime rib is not too bad or expensive either. Near Riverplace.

Bob

15. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Ya know I am really surprised somebody has not recommended a good German or Swedish smörgåsbord to try. That is the land of them and I know from being a youngster growing up in the twin cities that there used to be many of them there ya?

16. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

No such thing here anymore. Old country buffet LOL

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Buca di Beppo...........It's an Italian restaurant with great food. Check out the URL above.

I've only been to this restaurant once, but I can't wait to get back and try it again.

The food was fabulous and there was plenty of it. My son paid, so I don't know how prices were, but I doubt they were cheap.

Great atmosphere and great food.

I have nothing but great memories from my visit to this place.

Hope you can try it and enjoy it like I did.

Hauxfan!

18. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

D'Amico Cucina for a nice place(Italian and upper scale) to eat.

or D'Amico Campiello ($20 to $40.)13th and West Lake Street, MPLS. for Italian, Many times voted best in the midwest. D'Amico Masa 10th & Nicollet (downtown)for Mexican.

Rudolphs for Ribs 1933 Hennepin Ave. MPLS.

Victoria house in Victoria, MN. 45 min.west on Hwy 5. Definitly worth the drive!

Mannings for steak (huge portions) difinitly share everything. Steak is about 2.5# - 30 to 40 spears of asperagus- 3# of hash browns. 5# to 6# Lobsters. Excellent food but pricey! A couple is usually $120 to $180.00 with a bottle of vino. Of course they do have the $4,000.00 bottles also!

Orpheum for good theatrical productions. (live shows) Plenty of night life also. Talk to locals about the neighborhoods to avoid at night!!!

19. Ertz

Ertz Member

ROTFLMAO!!!!!! Denny, I think Jim out did you on that one.

BTW almost unemployed. Denny is NOT kidding. There is a place with that name and yes it is just what it suggests.

20. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with the Gay 90s but have no trouble accepting Lit's info. He seems to be expert in that category.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.