1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T need a diesel expert on tractors - Ford

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ohio Bob, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

OK guys.

I have a early Ford 2110 tractor, diesel, that is hard to start. Even when it is in the mid to upper 50’s you have to crank on it for a little bit.

When you try to start it up, it starts puffing white smoke right away but that’s all. After several times trying to start if you crank long enough it will start to puff black and the slowly start to catch and then finally start.

Where do I start to fix this problem? I’m new to diesels. Since this is a tractor its more open to fix and it’s starting to get cold.

Thanks, OB

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Don't take offense to this question, but are you letting the glow plug heat up long enough? Even cycling it two or three times?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. Elk guide

Elk guide TS Member

IF it is an older ford #1 Check to see if the glow plug is working then use the glow plug but give it time to warm, sometimes you will hear a puff. I will turn it over once or twice before glow pluging it but don't keep cranking it.
    #2 open throtle all the way up while cranking it. But be ready to push the throtle back to idle when it starts. Don't let engine race. #3Clean injectors and filters.#4 buy a block heater that goes into the freeze plug on the side of the engine. Not the heater hose one. The freeze plug one heats the hole engine block. Heat will help save the starter and Batt from over working as hard and oil will flow faster to bearings. Our 100 hp will only start with heat when it cold. This what we do on our ford tractors and is the advice givin to us. We do the same with our new John Deere as well. I used this same thing while I was working as a tractor mechanic for eight years on all makes. We do not like to use starting fluid.

#5 buy a John Deere next time.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Change your fuel filter(s) and make sure the fuel in the tank is clean. Use a good diesel fuel conditioner, such as Howes. If all that doesn't improve things you may need to get it into the shop and get the injectors looked at. I've been running Ford tractors for 30+ years and they can be a bit cold blooded. Great tractors, though.

5. DB3006

DB3006 Member

If it starts hard even at 50 degrees it could be more serious then just the engine prehater/glowplug not working. The white smoke tells me that you may have low compression. With a diesel you must have at least 350psi of compression and that is on the very low side 400 to 425 would be alot better.
    Clean filters and fuel is a must but if the prevoius owner did not maitain the fuel system you might have other issues... Dirt is the fuel systems #1 enemy, and if the pump and injectors have been subjected to dirt then the system will not deliver fuel at the rates the engine calls for. When you do your comperssion test it would be a good time to take your injectors to a Diesel Fuel Inj. shop to have them tested. I can get you in touch with one in your area
    if you would like. Also check your cranking speed if the engine cranks to slow it cannot create the comperssion and heat to start.

Dave

6. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

My last Ford 1710 needed 30 seconds or more glow time in cold weather. I installed a new set of glow plugs and the time dropped to 5 to 10 seconds on the coldest days.

A good, BIG battery is also needed to assure a fast enough cranking RPM in the cold.

7. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Thanks guys,

I'll start doing some checking. I figured it was something mechanical or in the fuel system rather than a glow plug problem as it starts hard even when its in the 50's.

I have seen some tractors out there that have ether system on them for starting but this one does not. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks again,

OB

8. gdyll

gdyll TS Member

On the side of the fuel injection pump is a check valve.it is on the fueline in side.Remove the check valve take a screw driver and disassemble it.Most likely the spring inside is broken and you are not retaining fuel pressure in the system.Take a ball point pen apart and use the spring as a replacement.Pump up your system and the tractor should start.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

elk feeder,

#6 Why are John Deere's green? So you can hide them in the fence row easier! Lol. Sorry I couldn't resist.

BTW, the proper color for a tractor is RED!

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1110 ford tractor hard starting
ford 1710 block heater
ford 2110 tractor forums

ford tractor 2110 diesel hard to start

ford tractor model 1220 glow plugs not working
hard starting ford 2010 diesel ford tractor
how to check glow plugs in a 1710 ford tractor
problems with ford tractor diesel engines running slow