1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - need .243 Ackley Improved loading data

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AveragEd, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm beginning the process of building a custom rifle in .243 Ackley Improved and would like more loading data than I've been able to find thus far. I'm probably going to limit the bullet weight to 70 grains and most likely the Sierra 70-grain MatchKing.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Ed

2. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I've got a .257 Robt's AI and a .280 Rem AI. Data CAN be tough to find. Try the current NOSLER manual as they do have some Ackley info.

I'd go to AccurateReloading.com as well and post on the reloading section. FAR more rifle nuts on Accurate than here on a shotgun site.n The wolf Publishing Rifle and Handloader magazines have some great articles on odd ball ctg's too.

FWIW... None of the AI's are really worth the time and trouble over a factory round. And nowadays with the new short mags, long mags, ultra mags etc You should be able to find something COMMERCIAL that will do what You wish. Then again if your minds made up...the AI's DO make a sexy looking ctg!

FN in MT

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

My reloading program says to use the following for 86% load density with Sierra 70gr HP Match Kings, which is optimal for the 243 A.I.: 47.1 gr H414 for 3572 fps; 47.1 gr of 4350 type powders for 3450 fps; and 44.7gr of RL-15 for 3690 fps. HTH - AndyH

4. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Ed mash on the link. It may be some help...............Roger

5. AveragEd

Thanks for all the leads. I'm sure they'll be helpful.

Fred, I'm either going with a 26" or 27" stainless fluted barrel from McGowen's. The contour is up in the air right now. I want something stiffer (more accurate?) than a sporter contour but not a full varmint tube. The only company that will make a nice synthetic stock to accept any barrel contour is McMillan and they are quoting a minimum of five months to turn one out, even in one of their standard patterns.

I did find some very nice wood stocks with pillar bedding that are custom-made in six to eight weeks after receiving the client's barreled action. The one-man company is in southwestern Virginia and I'm leaning his way right now.

I primarily want a "fun" rifle. Something that's real accurate that I can use to punch paper or groundhogs that doesn't have a lot of recoil. And yes, I'd like it to be a little "different," thus the chambering choice.

Ed

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ed, I have his old books at home. I'll see what's available and try and get them to you......

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you take a close look at the 6mm Rem, you will find it delivers about what the 243 Ackley can do. I went through an Ackley and Gibbs phase years ago. Up to 30% more powder for maybe 3% more speed, and vastly reduced barrel life.

The Remington Six provides a factory round, scads of data, etc. If you want more speed with the 70 grainer, set gun up with a 27-28" barrel. Overbore rounds do not give stellar results with lighter bullets. The state of modern propellants simply do not deliver this combination. Don't forget the 1-10" twist. This twist will provide more velocity than the slower twists.

Also, for ranges over 300 yards, the 80 grain bullet will have more retained energy and a negligible difference in trajectory than the 70 grainer.

Been there, done that. Years ago, I had a large farm with a fair share of varmints, and got a lot of shooting in. The standard rounds are the way to go.

If you are looking to shoot much past 450 yards, wind will become your enemy. Then, the 6.5mm hot rods work. With a 28" barrel and heavier bullets, the 264 Win Mag is still a very good round. The 107 SMK will surprise you at extended range.

If you must have a wildcat, consider necking the 7mm WSM to 6.5mm.

8. kenf

kenf Active Member

I'll second the sarge on recommending Bobby Hart for work. This is the kind of stuff he can do with a factory rifle with his accurizing process. Thats five shots at 100 yds.

Third Generation Shooting Supplies in Oklahoma stocks some of the more standard McMillan stocks- if it won't be a pink or purple pimp gun. Ask for Lerch or Bailey. There is a guy out your way named Joel Russo who builds some exceptional laminated stocks for long range guns.

9. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

Ackleys books dont show data for a 70 grainer but does for a 60 and 75

you didnt say what powder so I will give you top and bottom for both.

60 grain bullet 50gr IMR 4350 for 3930fps the only one for 4350

42gr 4320 for 3460 bottom of scale
    48gr 4320 for 4170 top, keep in mind ackley states his top loads are one grain away from blowing out the primer.

75gr bullet
    39gr 4895Imr for 3390
    43 4895 for 3630

45gr of 4350 for 3400
    50gr 4350 for 3765

42gr of 4064 for 3495
    44gr of 4064 for 3710

I own and shoot 3 different Ackley improved rounds and can tell you first hand to start at the bottom and work up SLOWLY, good luck

Rick

10. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Take it from a hard core ground hog hunter. The 25 or 26 caliber is far superior in most any condition and can double as a long range big game hunting rifle.
    A stock standard 25/06 shooting 75 gr bullets and WW760 can easily approach 4000fps with EXCELLENT accuracy.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

One thing mentioned about Ackley Improved rounds is on the money. You can load them up until you blow a primer every shot, and you will not have stiff extraction.

WATCH THE PRIMER.

12. AveragEd

I truly appreciate all the alternative chambering suggestions but I already have most of them. I'm just looking for something new that's fun to shoot.

I'm right with those of you who have suggested the .25-06. It is my favorite all-around caliber and if I were to be limited to one rifle, it would be my stainless Model 700 in its composite stock with its Leupold VX-III 4.5-14X-40 A.O. It puts a 75-grain V-Max at 3,609fps and a 3,286fps 100-grain Sierra SPBT into 1/2 to 3/4-inch five-shot groups that are 1/2-inch apart horizontally at 100 yards with a sporter barrel. There isn't much you can't do in Pennsylvania (or a lot of other places) with a rifle like that. I have a blued twin to it with a 3.5-10x-40 A.O. that was relegated to back-up duty or guest use when I got the stainless one last fall.

Ed

13. AveragEd

Just as an update for those who replied to this thread, I finished that rifle, fire-formed 100 cases and fired some test loads.

I used a Model 700 action from a used rifle I purchased at a gun show, 27" stainless fluted McGowen barrel in .243 Ackley Improved, a Hogue Overmolded stock with full-length aluminum bedding block and a Leupold VX-3 AO in 6.5-20X. McGowen's also squared and lapped the receiver and bolt.

Sierra 70-grain Matchkings over 46.5 grains of RE15 powder in fire-formed Remington brass print five-shot, 100-yard groups of .418" at 3,851 fps. Berger 65-grain match bullets over the same powder charge shoot into .356" at 3,939 fps. I did use benchrest primers but did not segregate my cases and bullets by weight or any of that other hyper-accuracy stuff.

Pressure signs (primer cratering and case expansion) with the Berger bullet do not indicate excessive pressure; in fact, I could probably break into the 4,000-fps bracket with more powder but I'm standing pat. The Sierras appear to about as hot as I'd want to load them.

I'm happy with it.

Ed

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

39 loads for 243 AI on the above link. If that ain't enough I have a friend with 2 of them, and will pick his brains for you.

HM

15. AveragEd

I've been to that site before but thanks a lot, anyway. I think I've found the load I'm going to use, at least for a while - I just finished loading 50 of them. I just thought that some of the posters from before might enjoy hearing how the project turned out.

Ed

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a real shooter Ed! I have a Rem.600 in 6MM I re-barreled with a 24-1/2 inch Douglas premium air gaged barrel a long time ago. It shoots great too but for whatever reason, it likes Winchester brass? It groups better than my Rem brass does with identical components! You might give those a try too once you begin fine tuning it even more? One more thing, my 6MM loves the old MRP rifle powders and the old H4831 military surplus powder with the 95 and 100 grain Nosler Partitions. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
243 ackley improved loads

243 ackley improved reloading data

243 ackley load data

243 ai load data

243 ai reloading data
243ai load data
loads for 243 ackley improved
vihtavuori reloading data 243 ackley load