1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Name your best gun value

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by almost unemployed, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

What do you feel is the best gun for the money in any category? Need not be limited to trap guns or shotguns of any kind. Pistols, rifles, .22s, etc. Who makes a lot of gun for the money? Looking for gift ideas. Thank you.

2. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

a browning citori or xt over under is a pretty good all around trap or skeet gun like the other man said the remington,s are hard to beat also. dwain

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Best value is any good quality .22 with a decent scope - do not get a piece of crap or a cheap scope. I have a bunch - Winchester 9422, Browning grade II, Winchester 52 sporter, a couple of tricked out Ruger 10/22's and an Anschutz sporter.

Plus a few pistols - Ruger Single Six, High Standard, Walther, Smith & Wesson, Colt.

They are accurate and cheap to shoot. Most fun for the buck - you can shoot all day for under $20.

Don

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

A BT 99 or Model 12 are hard to beat for the quality and bang for the buck that will hold up to the quanity of shells shot at trap. I also am a 22 cal fan started as a young boy still enjoy just plinking cans and targets just got my daughter a Ruger 10-22 tricked out I shoot a Marlin model 60 she also has a Ruger 22 pistol I really enjoy shooting with her she is 12 years old and tells all her friends how much she likes shooting.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

no matter what you buy, the gun is the cheap part of the equation. I spend what my kolar cost every couple years in shells and targets.

6. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Two Ruger #1 rifles with scopes. A 223 and a 22-250 both for $350........Roger
    P.S. probably the only bargin I ever got.

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

A Ruger 22 pistol with adjustable sights,a 10/22,an 1100 in 20 ga for a kid or woman,12 ga for a guy,certain Savage bolt guns in centerfire. A nice .17 cal air rifle is a good value,also Fun,cheap to shoot,easy to shoot,always hold their value,easy to find a decent used one. Tom lobonc

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

it obviously goes by price as the unloader mentioned

1. Slug gun- H&R single shot slug without a doubt-- or if you can find a Mossberg bolt action slug gun

2. Mid range target O/U - Browning XT or a reasonably priced K32

3. Best target shotgun regardless of price-- Krieghoff K80

4. Best hunting auto - Browning gold in either a 12 or 10 gauge

5. Best 22 - value way above price- any of the Marlins- they have it going on

6. Best centerfire bolt actions- Remington- known world wide as not only the best value but just frankly the best for accuracy and dependability

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

A Kolar or Krieghoff combo are the best gun values . They will last forever and you will get your money back when sold. How about that for sticking my neck out ....

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Best gun Values for the money:

Handgun

1. Rimfire - 22 Cal Ruger hands down. Price and durability second to none in either a revolver or a semi auto.

2. Centerfire: Taurus. Yeah, yeah, I know. Made in Brazil but guaranteed for life. Model 66 in 357 is a real workhorse. This gun loses nothing to the Smith and Wesson it is modeled after.

Rifles:

1. Rimfire Goes to Ruger again with the 10/22. Ruger bolt action 22's are a little pricey for what you get. I own three but bought them really right. The 10/22 is still a good value price wise with tons of aftermarket goodies that are limited only by your checkbook. The Henry lever actions are nice too. Made 100% in the USA out of 100% American made parts.

2. Centerfire - Savage bolt actions. Nuff said. While they have a grade (model 114 and 14) that has nicer wood and checkering, the entry level Stevens 200 can't be beat. Available in most popular calibers and was just on sale at my local Dunham's for $259. Trigger is, well, a Savage trigger. Needs a Timney or a rifle Basix. Spend an extra $100 and buy the Savage 10 or 110 and get it with the new accutrigger. These guns cost hundreds less that Remingtons and Winchester and Brownings and every one I have ever owned has shot like a dream right out of the box. The ability to change barrels in your basement with minimal gunsmithing knowledge is a big plus as well. Not knocking the Remingtons etc but you asked about value for the money. You are getting what you are paying for with a Remington with a smoother action etc but they are not any more accurate right out of the box.

Shotguns - I have to agree with the others above with the 1100 and 870 family of shotguns. They have been made for way to long for there to be any bugs left to be worked out with them. Unfortunately, the express versions of these guns leave a lot to be desired. Actions are a litle gritty compared to the older guns. The difference in price for an 870 express and a Wingmaster is up to the buyer but there is a very noticeable difference in the smoothness of the action. There are also several configuration options available for these guns. Your field grade gun will work great for skeet. Buy a 30" trap barrel for your field gun and an aftermarket Monte Carlo Stock off of a slug gun and you have yourself a trap gun. Leave the monte carlo stock on and get a rifled slug barrel with a cantilevered scope mount and you have a superb 125 yard deer gun.

JMHO!

Jeff

11. new loader

new loader Member

From what I read, the Taurus 1911 .45ACP is supposed to be a great gun for the money. I've see the blue ones advertised for $499.00

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

N J Bob, If you buy used, you might get close to getting your money back when you sell but that's also true w/ many of the other high buck target guns. If you buy new, I can't agree w/ your statement, unless you own it for many years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.