1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Name brand or generic gasoline

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by School Teacher, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I used to rely on British petroleum (BP) to provide a clean and consistent grade of gasoline for use in our family’s vehicles. Now, around Louisville, KY, BP has been replaced by some outfit named “E-Star”.

Over the years, we normally used a name brand gasoline in our vehicles. First it was ESSO and then they disappeared. Then we switched to Texaco and they disappeared. We started using Gulf and they were acquired by British Petroleum. Now BP, at least around here, is gone. We never used Marathon but they are also gone.

To add insult to injury, BP looks like they sold their credit card portfolio to a New York bank. This bank immediately charges interest on purchases so we are charged a few bucks more each month even though we pay the balance in full. This stinks.

We still have a few Shell stations and a very few CITGO stations. I guess that we will switch to Shell as CITGO is owned by Venezuela.

Here’s the question, is there any real benefit in consistently using a name brand of gasoline or is gasoline simply a generic commodity?

Is there any benefit in paying a few gallons more for a name brand of gasoline?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Around here it all comes out of the same pipeline. when the name brand gas is finally formulated there are some additives that are not in the lesser companies' offerings.

I like to use BP if I have the chance, and avoid Citgo like the plague.

This is not for any technical reason, rather I hate Hugo Chaves's guts.

Hope he chokes on his gas.

hm

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've sat, a couple of decades ago, and watched in Chico, CA, Shell, 76 Union, Standard, Chevron, Exxon and all the other well marked trucks lined up and taking on gasoline from the same spigot. I once asked an Exxon driver when the save-all "additive" was mixed with the load of gasoline, at the spigot or somewhere else en-route the places where he delivered. He scratched his head and replied, "Additive? I dunno, I just load it up and dump it here." At least in the west, all the delivery pipe lines from refiners to the delivery point for gas trucks is owned by Southern Pacific and X amount is taken in from this refinary, then Y amount from another and so on until it's pumped into the trucks. Here in Orygun, I live just a mile and a half from the local point of delivery to gas trucks and see that almost all of them, now, are privately owned tankers so you can't tell who allegedly is delivering gas to one station or another. They are, however, all filling up at the same locality. You may as well figure gas is gas....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. Hawkeye Kid

Hawkeye Kid TS Member

Use the cheapest gas and cut up you major gas cards, & let the major companies that you cut up their card and will not buy gas from them. Pay cash if you have too.

Hawkwye kid

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information.

Future plans are to look for a new station with clean tanks and low prices. Around Louisville, KY, many of the Kroger grocery stores are beginning to sell gas.

I will pay in cash.

6. cnsane

cnsane Member

I drive 100 miles round trip to work every day(cuz it sux being an older displaced worker)and I've found that I get about 10% less mileage with the 89 octane gasahol than I do with the 87 octane pure gasoline. For a dime price difference, the pure gas has been more cost effective in my particular vehicles during these past 7 years.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

"Pure" gasoline is a mixture of short flammable carbon chains and no two truck loads with the same brand name gasoline will be the same. As the octane rating increases, the flammability decreases. This prevents premature ignition in high compression engines.

A tank of gasoline with ethanol as part of the gasoline is a good idea a couple of times each Winter. It will remove water that might happen to get into your gas tank.

I use the least expensive gasoline I can find (I do not want to use the term cheap gasoline) unless my dashboard warning light comes on and tells me I am almost empty. Then I buy the next gasoline I come across.

Pat Ireland

8. Eleanor

Eleanor TS Member

How do we arrive with an Octane # ?

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Eleanor

The Octane rating references how easy the fuel is to ignite. The lower the number, the easier it will ignite. That's a bit of an over simplification. They add compounds that will slow down the burning to increase the octane. Too high an octane for a particular vehicle is a waste of money and can hurt performance and fuel economy. Use what the manufacturer designed the vehicle to use. The only time you might want a little extra octane is when you go for an emissions test in order to help reduce NOx if it's a problem. Too low an octanerating and you could experience spark knock or detonation, which could eventually cause harm to your engine. There are many other causes of spark knock and detonation than low octane. A malfunctioning EGR is a good example of one.

Gas is pretty much, Gas, unless it's been around too long or has junk added to it instead of the usual ingredients. Some Gas has been derived from the bottom of the barel, so to speak, but usually performs OK if it's been refined properly. Valero is one refiner that produces Gasoline from such lower class crude. It does appear to work well enough, since they spend a little more on the processing and less for the crude.

10. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here's an explanation of 'Octane' ratings for fuels...

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Anyone interested in learning more about gasoline than you ever thought there was to know can do it at the above link...part 1 of a 4 part treatise on gasoline. It will also correct some of the misinformation given here thus far.

Morgan

12. smartass

smartass TS Member

Now, now, Capt Morgan. I'll have you know that this is the best place on the entire internet to get excellent misinformation. LOL

13. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

There are a bunch of refineries in Texas. They all put their product into the same pipelines. When it comes out the other end, nobody knows or cares which refinery it came from.

In this town (50,000 pop) there is one gasoline distributor. Every gas station gets their gas from him, so whatever brand name you buy, you're getting exactly the same gas. Buy it wherever it costs the least, and preferably at a high volume location, since theirs is fresher and less likely to have accumulated water.

Think you can punish Chavez by boycotting Citgo? Nope. Citgo's gasoline is mixed with everyone else's, and part of what you buy anywhere has some Citgo in it. You can punish the local owner/operator of a Citgo branded station, but Chavez laughs all the way to the bank.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Eleanor- Septane (7 carbon chain) is highly flammable. Octane (8 carbon chain) is less flammable. Gasoline is a mixture of many different carbon chains. An octane rating of 90 means that it has burning characteristics of a mixture that has 90% octane and 10% septane. The gasoline would not have these ratios but will burn similar to a mixture that does have this ratio of septane and octane.

Pat Ireland

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

If my memory serves me right, there are a number of vehicles that have an adjustment(chip) to change octane ratings for the vehicle. If your vehicle is set up for 87 octane you don't gain anything by using 89, just spend more money. The vehicles are built and tested to provide optimum service at the rated octane. Some vehicle that consistly carry heavy loads were changed to 89 octane using that chip to improve on their performance and alleviate spark knock. Don't know if the new vehicles come with this but just remember it from some of the Ford classes I attended while serving as a Service Manager in the early ninties. Jackie B.

16. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Capt. Morgan, you're reference is to a resource that is extremely out of date, being some 11 years old."

Yes there is dated information in the resources but much of the technical gen has not changed. There is much of use in it.

Morgan

17. TC

TC TS Member

Having been involved in precision metal stamping for 40 years, there are some big differences between suppliers of most bulk metal alloys! They are not all the same! Tony

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tony- Absolutely bulk metal alloys vary among lots but oil products vary much more. A barrel of crude oil probably contains over 1000 different compounds and refining this oil has limitations. Crude oil from Eastern Oklahoma is quite different from crude oil from Western Oklahoma.

Pat Ireland

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Octane = C8H18

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.