1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T "My Truck Won't Start"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mette56, Aug 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

O/T

Sorry friends for the o/t but I'm really frustrated! I have a '90 Dodge half ton with a 360 engine. It will not start in the mornings or on a rainy day. Once it starts, it will die suddenly. Hard to restart. Once it has run for awhile, it will start right up and not die for the rest of that day. Next morning, won't start!

I've replaced the fuel pump twice and the firewall switch that controls the fuel line but that was not the problem.

Auto Zone here has no other ideas. The truck does have some electrical problems that effect the radio, but that has been that way for 4 years.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Remove the X's for e mail

Thanks,

milt

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

O/T

GO AND SEE A MECHANIC !!!!!!!

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

O/T

ZIf it only happens when it's damp or raining it is most likely electrical. How many miles on it? When was the last time you changed the plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, and spark plugs? JRM

4. mette56

O/T

perga, The last tune up was maybe 9 months ago. If it is electrical (not in the tune up), is that fixable? I don't know the milage as the odometer has not worked since I bought it. But it's an old beat up farm truck...all I've got...sorry.

5. Straight99

Straight99 Member

O/T

New cap, rotor and wires and buy a good set. See if the distributor is getting wet. If it is, try and use a spray water displacer.

6. perga1

perga1 Active Member

O/T

Sorry for what? Anything electrical can be fixed. Is it worth it to you? Most wet start problems are ignition related. When it was tuned up did they replace the items I mentioned? A GOOD tune-up will but the tuner may not feel some of those items looked like they needed replacing.JRM

7. perga1

perga1 Active Member

O/T

Eddiefromoverlook, I agree if other electrical problems are also present. JRM

8. mette56

O/T

Let me be more clear. It won't start in the mornings regardless of rain or not. But it's humid here in the morning, thus I'm relating the problem to moisture, since it will start around noon each day after the morning dew has burned off. If it's raining...tougher to start and won't start 'till maybe 2-3pm. I'll check the firewall grounds. If that's not it, I'll retune it with new stuff.

Thanks a million....great advise!

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

O/T

Check the basics. Is there sufficient voltage where it needs to be? Check voltage at the processor, the ignition coil, check any fuel pump and other related relays. Check the fuel pressure before going too far into anything else. Use an accurate gauge. Check a fuel sample for water and sediment. If you have access to a fuel tester, use it. Check for sufficient spark. Use a GOOD adjustable air gap tester such as the Thexton 404 tool. (http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/THE-404.html) Set it out past 35K and that will tell you more about the quality of spark output. Just having a little spark isn't enough. Is there a check engine light on and are there any codes present in the processor?

Does it have a mass air flow type sensor, or is it a speed density system with a map sensor. I'm not that familiar iwth that year, so can't give you the details. A little contamination in a mass air flow sensor can do some very odd things. A bad MAP sensor or vacuum line can also create issues.

Since there are other electrical issues, it is a reasonable cause to check further into it. A little corrosion in the ignition or engine controls circuits can cause trouble. Battery cables are also an issue on some. Be sure to make sure the fuel is good. You said it's a farm truck, so if it sits for a length of time, moisture or stale fuel could be a problem. Be sure to check fuel filters and lines. I've seen filters plugged by rust from the fuel lines. The lines needed replacement. I won't even get into the damage that methanol can do when it sits stagnant for a period of time.

An engine needs spark, fuel, and compression. It all needs to happen at the correct time.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

O/T

Since it runs after it gets hot it sounds like a moisture problem. Might be as simple as a cracked distributor cap. A few hours before you plan on starting the motor you could run an extension cord with a 100w light bulb and put it close by the distrbutor cap and wires. That should dry it out and make it easier to start. HMB

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

O/T

If the vehicle is fuel injected and has an electronic fuel pump you can check for fuel at the schrader valve( same valve as on a tire)it's located at the fuel rail. Put a rag over the valve after you remove the cap and press the stem down it should rlease a spay of gas into the rag, it may be a bad check valve allowing gas to flow backwards when no pressuer is applied. I would check for spark in the morning by pulling the #1 spark plug wire, take a philips head screw driver and insert it into the end of the wire that you pulled off the spark plug. Have someone crank the engine as you hold the screw driver by the handle only close to a metal part of the engine. You should see a spark between the metal part of the spark plug and the metal part of the engine. The spark should be strong and blue hold the metal part of the screw driver about 1/2" from a piece of metal. Most often a fuel pressuer problem surfaces underload (during acceleration)before you try to start the car trun the key to the on position and let stay there for a few moments then try to start the car. When the key is in the on position the fuel pump is turn if that solves the won't start problem then it may well be a bad pump, a bad ground on that circuit could even be plugged fuel filter. If the problem is not solved then look at a poor ground (loose ground cable) or moisture in the dist. cap thats the places to start.

12. mette56

O/T

Bruce,

Thanks so much for your excellent and friendly advise

13. hoofty43

hoofty43 TS Member

O/T

Had the same problem with my old dodge. Was a hairline crack in the cap. Relpace the wires with good ones, not cheap ones. Spray the inside of the cap with CRC also the wires, before you crank it up. If it starts easy you narrowed it down.

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

O/T

If you replaced the fuel pump it could still be a fuel problem. There is a relay in the fuse block that sends a signal to the pump. try shorting across it. I fixed mine like that a couple years ago

15. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    O/T

FLASH BACKsssssssssss

In a past life I was a tech at a Chrysler / Plymouth / Dodge dealership. 83-00

1990 Dodge Throttle body fuel injection.

Starts and dies then long crank time (engine turning over but not running) then starts. And runs all day.

May want to check the fuel pressure regulator, as this system was a 2 line. 1 pressure one return. If / then the fuel pressure reg. goes bad it will let the fuel drain back into the fuel tank. Making for a long crank time before starting. As the computer needs to see 375 rpm (May be wrong on this number) before it will turn on the fuel pump.

If you cycle the ignition key / switch 3 times off to on (not crank) 3 times it will give you the "codes" from the computer. Also this will cycle the fuel pump for a few seconds each time.

If you do the key cycle thing and it starts quicker look for fuel drain back.

This era of truck also had problems with the pick up plate in the distributor. But that was more of a HOT restart problem.

Hope this helps.

Kevin @ 402-463-3415

16. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

O/T

It sound like one of two things one is the fuel pump relay which has two circuis in it a start run and the other is a run the start run works went you frist turn the key on it tells the fuel pump to turn on for 5 seconds and then shut off till it switch to the run circuis and turns the pump back on went the engine starts up and the crank sensor pick up the single that the engine is running if the sensor on the crank is bad then it won't start or stay running so it could be either one if you hear the pump come on went you turn the key on then the pump is working if not that could be the problem if you hear the pump and it still doesn't run then it could be the crank sensor because it won't tell the computer to fire the ignition you can check that by having someone crank the engine over and check for spark at the plugs while trying to start the engine on spark then it could be sensor any moisture in either the relay or the crank sensor could cause the problem

17. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

O/T

I'm service advisor a large Dodge dealer, we have fought one of these for days, finaly worked out to be water intrusion on the PCM on the left fire wall. Replaced PCM and connector, vehicle was ok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.