1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t music

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mshep, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mshep

mshep TS Member

2str8, I'm not an expert with the music transfers but there are several sites where you can "legally" purchase music downloads. itunes.com, buymusic.com, walmart.com, and amazon.com to name a few. They typically range from .89 to .99 cents a song. WMA and MP3 are compression formats. I believe MP3 is a little better but frankly you won't notice the difference. Most download sites download MP3's. WMA is a windows media format only.

Once you download them to your computer you can trasfer them to your player like you described. Make a CD backup of them when you get the chance. If your Hard drive crashes you could loose them and its hard to get them downloaded again w/o re-paying for them.

Mark

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

my wife uses limewire.com she figured out how to downlaod/rip/zip etc as she says so im sure you can too,once finsihed i was amazed at all she had on a item no bigger than a silver dollar.

bill

3. Juno

Juno TS Member

2str8, I very rarely download any songs from any sight. .99 a song can add up quick. I usually go and purchase a CD I like. Then you insert the CD, RIP it to your windows media player, then click and drag the songs you want to SYNC to the RIGHT sync box. Once you have done this, you click sync and the songs will be loaded on the device. Follow all the directions in the instructions to the letter. Do this first. Before worrying about going to a sight to purchase music. It will alow you to get familiar with everything. I'll look back on this thread to see if you have further questions.

Juno

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

go to www.slyck.com for info on all the pirate software and networks for downloading.

HM

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I buy my music from Walmart.com. Just do a search for the song or artist and download.

Be careful it can add up.

6. mshep

mshep TS Member

If you have a bunch of cd's that's a good way to start.

Downloading the songs individually has the advantage of not having to buy a whole CD for one or two songs on the cd you like. Downloading you get just the songs you like from that cd for a buck or two rather then spending $12-$15 for a full CD.

7. mshep

mshep TS Member

2str8, on average thats the price for a CD, sometimes as much as $18. My wife used to buy them all the time. Granted your getting 10-12 songs on that cd for about 12 bucks. If you know you only like 2 songs on that disk, its cheaper to download those 2 for .99 cents each. Many sites let you download the whole cd for 9.99 i think. Again the disadvantage of downloading is you need to make a copy of it to cd. Many times there's restrictions on how many times you can copy them as well (4 I think). Not the case with a cd.

8. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

I have your same device, got it as a gift from Best Buy. It came with Best Buy music store software and I just kept using it after the free trial period
    expired. I didn't subscribe to ther service but I do still purchase songs from their store. I bought one of those FM transmitter cords for it and now I listen to it all time in the car. JD

9. Juno

Juno TS Member

2str8, Just start off loading the music from a CD you already have. That is easier to start the learning process. I purchase CD's because I safely store them away after I load them on my IPOD. I then not only have the music but I also have a CD collection.

Juno

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Rip the music from CD or purchase it for download. Just don't spend a dime if there are Digital Copyright restrictions attached to the download. It can eventualy prevent you from using the music you downloaded.

You will have to read the instructions, since most of these players will attach to the computer in one of two ways. It can be attached as an external drive or as a music player that is Windows Media compatible. If it's attached as a drive, you can drag and drop files, as well as update the firmware on the player to improve performance if one is released. If it's attached as a "player" you can add music to the device using Windows Media Player, as long as Windows recognises it. The change is made through the "menu" on the device and will vary with the model, as well as the terminology used to describe these modes of connection.

To drag and drop files, go to "start"/programs/accessories/windows explorer and click on it. Look for the device in Windows explorer and just drag the music files over to the player from wherever you have them located on your hard drive. You can open two explorer windows and just drag the files from one window to the next, but that is a little more involved. You open up the player (drive) in one window and the directory (folder) where the music files are stored in the other. Just click on the file you want to move and drag it over to copy it to the device. Don't double click it. You can highlight and drag a whole list of files by holding down the shift key and then clicking the file at the beginning of the "block" of files and then clicking on the last file you wish to select. You can also select/deselect individual files the same way using the Ctrl (control) key.

The big difference between an MP3 and a WMA file is basically that the same "Quality" WMA file will be smaller in size than a comparable MP3. That's just a matter of opinion though. I use the MP3 file format and rip files in a lossless rendering if I'm using them on my computer or other sophisticated device. If the player supports it, I use other formats as well. Most people would not hear the difference between a 128K MP3 and a 64K WMA on most inexpensive players. The main issue with file size is how much "sound" is removed in the rendering and compression process. The smaller the file, the more compression and data removal there is. Too much and it sounds like crap.

The Sansa is a fairly good player and would probably benefit from better quality music files. I would recommend a 192K VBR (variable bit rate) file for MP3 and at least a 128K VBR for the WMA. These are settings in the program used to "rip" the music from the CD, whether it is Windows Media Player or another program like "Exact Audio Copy". "EAC" is usually not recommended for beginners. It's a bit complex and not too user friendly. It also may require the configuration of some external programs to convert files into the desired formats. You can do a google search and look for a ripping program that suits your level of comfort. Musicmatch used to be a good one, but I haven't looked at it in years. I've heard it's not as neat as it once was. There is also a lot of encoders based on a program called "LAME". They usually work well, but be careful of some of these offbeat programs. They can carry all sorts of malware.

The Sansa players might come with a program/service called "Rhapsody" which looks like a fee based source for music. I haven't used it, nor do I really have any plans of doing so. At $13 a month and a broken link to their terms of service, I'd have second thoughts. I would assume that any downloaded music would cease to work when I cancel my "subscription". See my thoughts on Digital Copyright Management (DRM) in the first paragraph.

I certainly do NOT recommend Limewire or any other similar P2P file sharing program for downloading copyrighted files. It can open your system up to all sorts of vulnerablilities and you can also get "caught" downloading pirated files. There are much "smarter" and safer ways to download content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.