1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Moto-Beggars

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by School Teacher, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Are the beggars now on wheels?

Today, in a US Postal Service parking lot, while walking to my vehicle, I was asked for $26 for an emergency car repair and gas by a young woman in an older Ford Taurus. She had a couple of kids with her but the motor was running. I gave her $5 for the kid’s sake and she asked for more. I walked on and she then proceeded to hail (from her car) each car in line at the drop mail box for money.

Last Sunday, I was asked for money for gas by a middle aged, physically able guy in a beat-up Lexus that was equipped with special wheels and a “ghetto” sound system. I gave him $5 as I was in a good mode following church. He fired up the Lexus and split.

During the past year, I have been hit-up for a hand-out in the parking lots of restaurants, grocery stores and at an intersection. Almost always, the begging person has a child or an invalid adult with them.

Is it the economy or is the word out that beggars can do better from automobiles in the parking lots of respectable businesses than on the street?

Ed Ward

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Ed, You might try just carrying one dollar bills.......lol

Hauxfan!

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Whip out your "will work for Primers" banner.

HM

4. flamborn

flamborn TS Member

ummmm .. where do you post mail and eat out? I have kids and a car. Could I have $10 though. My car uses a lot of gas. ;)

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I had this happen only one time. I pointed to the sign in the window of the nearby Hardee's restaurant that said "Help Wanted".

6. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

The bank branch that I work at is on the corner of two major streets in a city of 60,000 and near a WalMart Super Center. Every day, rain or shine, there are various panhandlers all day long. Today there were 3 at the same time. Police will run them off and they are back, or a replacement, in less than 10 minutes. This would be in the working class area of the city and perhaps we working class individuals are more generous to them. This has been going on for 2-3 years and the panhandlers are growing in numbers at this location - particularly this year. I have noticed this year that they appear to be more aggressive than before. We have had to run them off our parking lot trying to bum from our customers.

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

More than likely you got scammed by gypsies. We have them running the same scam here. I call the cops on them if they get too persistent. Panhandling is illegal. Likewise, here in SoCal there is a group that dresses in white band/military uniforms and hustles for some supposed Salvadoran ministry. They have no permit to solicit funds and they have a very poor track record of making sure funds gathered actually get to El Salvador. I tell them to get a job when they hit me up. I figure that even washing cars would generate as much or more than begging and it would provide a needed service. Needless to say, they don't like me.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

On that note.......A few years back we came off the I-17 in Phoenix and there was a guy standing there with a "will work for food" cardboard sign.

Frank sez "Hey, you can come clean out my garage and I'll take you to lunch."

Guy sez back, "No, man, my old lady is picking me up in 20 minutes."

We split our sides laughing for the rest of the ride.

HM

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Once had a young drunk come up to me at a high-end eatery. He says, I'm a drunk and need a drink. Can you spare some change? I gave him a dollar for being truthful.......

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I just did a Google and asked "How much can a panhandler make in a day"?

I was a bit surprised, but........a good panhandler can make between $100.00 to $300.00 a day........And remember, this is all tax free........

I think a person could dress up like a bum and make a living for the rest of his life..........if they were so inclined......lol

Of course it would be to much work for some of these lazy bums. (8-(

Hauxfan!

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

On one episode of the TV show "Intervention" there was a guy with a $100/day drug habit. He covered it by pan handling. Hauxfan is right -- when you consider taxes, making $100/day is like having a $16/hour job.

A few years back we had a well-dressed couple in our town who walked around all day with plastic gas cans. Each separately worked a corner claiming to be out of gas and said they had lost their wallet/purse. They had quite a scam going until a local talk radio show outed them. Before the police arrived, some teenagers did a "drive-by" on them and pelted them with paintball guns. I found this swift justice to be both appropriate and semi-hilarious.

-Gary

12. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.