1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Moles in the lawn?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pete F (PA), Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete F (PA)

Pete F (PA) TS Member

What is the best way to get rid of?
    Thanks for the help
    Pete F

2. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Get a cat.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Buddy is right on, I tried everything and finally my wife got a cat and problem solved, they moved on to safer ground

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Get a good quality grub killer & spread it in the spring, maybe a little more later in the summer. No food....no moles. I have two acres of lawn here on our acreage & a herd of cats couldn't begin to eat the number of moles that we had last summer.........this summer after spreading 4 bags of grub killer, only a few right around the edges where the timber surrounds the lawn. They burrow in looking for food & if they find it they will keep going until they are all over your property. If they find no food, grubs are dead, they return to the timber.......G00D LUCK!

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

They are a pain! I got a beagle that likes to dig em up, but then she just plays with em for a few minutes then let's em go. Wish she would kill em. Never have got any of em in one of those mole traps.

There was an old guy who used to have a radio show. He claims to know how to get rid of moles. I posted his link above. Try that.

6. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

The method I use is as follows.

Evening flatten down trails and then the next morning take a water hose and hoe to the area. Find where the mole has been working overnight and begin pouring water on the trail starting at one end and working toward the other slowly. You will drive the mole to the end and it will come to the surface instead of drowning. Take the hoe and treat it as you see fit.

Has work 100% - much higher than my score shooting!!!

Regards

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Had that problem and Hunter44 is absolutely correct. Get rid of their food source. The grubs. Bulge

8. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hi Pete,

Get rid of the grubs.

Ed Yanchok

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I like the water hose ideal also.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/animation/?action=view&current=maulwurf01.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Foh

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

put urine soaked soiled kitty litter down some of the openings...even if you don't own a kitty I'm sure you have a friend who will save you a bag from their litterbox

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I used the mole traps, the kind with spring plunger points that supposedly spear the mole. Don't work the way they are supposed to, and even then only trip when the ground is moist enough for them to be pressed down. What I finally did was set two of them, and after the second one tripped, took my Ruger Mark II and worked my way along the tunnel past the second trap shooting about one shot per inch (used three magazines up). I must have got him as there were no more tunnels after that. By the way, I learned that they don't tunnel laying flat but on their side, that is why the traps miss them. Probably not a good way to do it in town.

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Why not just build an insert for the end of an exhaust pipe to car or truck..that attaches to a hose and gas 'em?

13. STOS

STOS Member

Try cutting up several pieces of juicy fruit gum and put on top of the latest diggings.They will eat it but cannot digest it and die.Works every time.

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I've used those spring loaded mole traps wit good success.

It's relatively enjoyable to sit on the deck with a beer and wait for it to go off. It really skewers them...and they cry like a rabbit before they die.

That parts not so enjoyable...if you've never heard a real rabbit cry (not a varmit call), you won't enjoy it...

15. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

Fortunately, if you don't do a darn thing, they will move on, probably to your neighbors, after they finish ripping your yard up to eat the grubs.

16. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

My grandpa began paying me (5.00 per mole)to kill them when I was about 12 yrs. old or so. Usually used a semi-auto 22 rifle. You must be extremely still and quiet and walk like your on thin glass. When there are mounds they are really deep. I suppose I have killed somewhere around 50 or so in my lifetime. Have also used shovels, pitchforks, shotguns and handguns. One was really tough to get for a long time and he finally died to the Mini 14.

17. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Matches, Propane bottle, a hard line about 3-4' long, a gas shutoff valve, assemble, stick pipe end in hole open valve to put gas in tunnel, wait a few seconds, drop match in......BOOM goes all life in tunnel....Yes Ive done it before....more fun than tossin a cat in a washing machine.....works for prarie dogs as well.

18. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I've been told to lime the yard. The lime will kill the grubs and the moles will look for a bit but move one cause the grubs are gone. Dan

19. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Don't be surprised if you treat your yard for grubs and still end up having moles. Moles also eat insects and love worms. . . If you have good top soil and not just clay then odds are you will have more worms than neighborhoods where the developer comes in and strips the top 12" of topsoil and then instead of spreading out over the finished plot, the top soil is then sold on the side.

The spring action traps with the tines work great, just remember to push the tines down to create holes for them to slam through once the trap is set.

Also when setting the trap don't go mashing down the tunnels. You want the mole to keep scooting along the same tunnels looking for worms, insects, and grubs. Place your trap (I like intersections) and step on the tunnel. Place the trap on the pushed down part, work the action to open up holes so the spikes will travel freely and then set.

I have two spring loaded traps and I just don't have the problems that the other neighbors have with moles and their yards. . .

20. gold40

gold40 Member

There is a GREAT poison product called "TALAPRID" from Bell Laboratories.. It is a plastic worm product that you put in the mole-hole. They eat it and die. Better than anything else that I ever tried. You can cut them in half, to save money. Half a worm works fine.

Jerry Goldstein
    St. Louis, MO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

talaprid