1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Model 12 Accidental Firing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pendennis, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

All, I'm currently in the process of absorbing Vincent Bugliosi's tome, "Reclaiming History", about the Kennedy assassination. At just over 1/3 of the way through the editorial content, it's very detailed, and covered the way a lawyer would prepare an important case.

As part of the section on Lee Harvey Oswald, it covers an incident when Oswald was in the Marine Corp, and stationed in Japan. One of his buddies was found, shot to death, while on watch. He was armed with a Winchester Model 12 "riot shotgun", and the manner of death was non-suicide, self-inflicted. Evidently he was practicing the manual of arms when the shotgun discharged, fatally wounding him in the upper left arm. This was covered, since the Warren Commission was gathering every scrap of history on Oswald's life. There was some concern that his proximity to the U2 aircraft, and later immigration to the USSR may have had some oblique connection. There was never any implication of Oswald, but they covered it just in case.

I've read often of Model 12 slam fires, but would the gun have gone off if the butt was rapped solidly against the ground? Maybe the safety in the off position, etc. This happened in the late 1950's.

Best,
    Dennis

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

It's tough to say this or that couldn't happen with any gun. Metal will wear regardless of make and the practice of slamming a loaded gun's butt on the ground ain't my idea of being somewhat smart.

I do know first hand the model 12 with a broken firing pin can fire on closing the action when the front part of the pin sticks. I had two of those during a shoot-off once and knew immediately what it was. The poor guy to my left was so rattled, I offered him the trophy once we finished the round. Hap

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I shot with a guy in Sparta that had three in one round (Mod 12), then he changed guns....

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

My opinion - Safety on or safety off, practicing the manual of arms with any gun is playing a very dangerous game.

There is not a lot holding the hammer back on most guns, let alone a model 12. But with the safety on (on a model 12), the sear can be disengaged but the hammer will not drop until the safety is switched off.

A bit of advice on closing - don't slam a gun butt to the ground, don't play with a gun like it is a baton, and (as was imparted to me by Curt), do not fry bacon naked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.